Is human nature good or evil?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

pilgrimshost

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 03:11 pm
@perplexity,
It is unavoidable that subserviancie and law go hand in hand, this is turning into a post for another thread.

perplexity

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 03:36 pm
@pilgrimshost,
The thread was about nature, so what about the laws of nature?

--- RH.

pilgrimshost

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 04:09 pm
@perplexity,
Good point, natural law is what we need to focus on here. Plato said the forms of the good have a perminant reality while aristotle said that good is that which all things aim leading to the supreme: happiness. So basiclly i believe that natural law claims that something is right if it fulfils its true purpose in life,wrong if it goes against it. So would this construct a 'fact' of the 'good'?

perplexity

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 05:02 pm
@joseph tinc,
I wonder what Plato would have had to say about genetic engineering.

The very notion of natural law would appear to be up for grabs.

-- RH.

pilgrimshost

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 05:16 pm
@perplexity,
I dont know, it would seem that it is not natural because it is a type of false construction as in when people create a new configuration of words which havent been derived through a natural process,ie text message words in a written exam.

gremar

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 01:57 am
@joseph tinc,
from the point of view of a neophyte in such forum, i would like to believe that the human person is by its very essence good. if you have a bible out there, try to read through genesis. that's just my opinion on the matter. but, attempting it to be brought in the realm of reason, i suppose that evil is what we consider to be in the absence of good. the "evilness" of a certain thing is totally dependent on its goodness. evil can only be identified as such from the perspective of the good. thus, with that, prior to man being evil, he is good. then we can say that man is basically good in the first place.

Electra phil

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 06:01 pm
@pilgrimshost,
pilgrimshost wrote:
Are we talking about perseived good and bad or right and wrong or an actual (if you will) natural law that gives us a 'rule' which deems weather something is right or wrong. Because there is something called subjective and objective morals where morality is either strictly something or if it is litterly a matter of opinion. We may think we have an innate moral order which says things like rape is 'bad' but what of those who say otherwise. Is it black or white? Or is it subject to the particuler situation? i.e. Hitler. Which seems like a''whatever suits you'' formality.

If you look around the world at different cultures and tribes, there doesnt seem to be a universal moral attitude, in some respects hostility and barbarity are within all socities. So I wonder if a sence of morality is born somewhat out of fear as is hostility, as a means of survival. The ten commandments are essentally the worlds most famous set of rules, they are supposedly given by God. But if you think about them they are common sense, if you mess around with you neighbours wife or steal his cow not only are you going to get your head kicked in but it also upsets the unity of your socity for which you depend on for your survival.

Great post.

Electra phil

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 06:04 pm
@Electra phil,
Regarding good or evil--Why does it have to be one or the other? Essence Just IS -- is it not? lol :p

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 11:15:20