Will we evolve to a new species?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Will we evolve to a new species?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 12:13 pm
Do you think that we could evolve to a new species? History says yes.

GoshisDead

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 12:17 pm
@platorepublic,
Likely not unless some cataclysmic natural disaster forces it. Gene flow is too steady.

kosta

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 06:07 pm
@platorepublic,
i think tequila slammers pretty much put a stop to only the cream of the gene pool mating and blew it open to everyone

so our evolution is on hold Smile

Sentience

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 05:52 pm
@platorepublic,
platorepublic wrote:

History does not say anything. Unless there is some significant change in events in which only people with certain gene types could survive, and it is repeated multiple times until the surviving specimens are different enough to be considered a new species, I doubt we will evolve significantly.

KaseiJin

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 05:24 pm
Although it would be good to keep in mind that evolutionary process is a thing which works on very small physical scales, and extremely large time/space scales--that is as any really noticeable change.

There have been finds within the past three years where elements of evolutionary process have been--only naturally--seen to be still be happening. How easily that may, or may not, give a new Homo species in the next 1 million or so years, cannot be said, however.

HexHammer

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 11:04 pm
@platorepublic,
platorepublic wrote:

I would say yes, our ideals of the perfect body and look changes, and in the future we'll most likely have advanced gene-therapy which will allow us to permanetly change.

hamilton

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 11:03 am
@platorepublic,
there is a good chance, if you believe in evolution. after all, we are believed to have evolved from monkeys or apes, but instead of growing a tail, or retractable claws, or anything neato like that, our brains are growing, and the rest of our body is kind of becoming more effictient. technology has removed any need to grow gills (scuba tanks) wings (planes) sharp teeth, (forks and knives and flame) extra hair (heat, clothes, jackets), and soon, all we will need are vital organs, and a way to protect them. (robotic exoskeleton).

hamilton

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 11:04 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer wrote:

platorepublic wrote:

I would say yes, our ideals of the perfect body and look changes, and in the future we'll most likely have advanced gene-therapy which will allow us to permanetly change.

gene-therapy is not th natural evolution which he may be referring to.

yakmunch

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 07:29 am
@hamilton,
hamilton wrote:

all we will need are vital organs, and a way to protect them. (robotic exoskeleton).

nice

hamilton

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 01:27 pm
@yakmunch,
isnt that a cheerie picture?

Dirt

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2011 07:50 pm
@platorepublic,
I think change is probably constant and probably always will be so it is most likely that we will eventually change to a degree to which we would no longer recognize ourselves anymore, weather that be dieing or becoming some weird lookin thing...

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Will we evolve to a new species?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 12:01:18