Finding your dream job

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Finding your dream job

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 07:22 am
Graduating soon (in a year or so) but is it going to be a happy ending?

I have no idea what I want to do. Well I'm quite sure that after doing a science degree, I really don't want to enter the scientific field. Great.

I seriously don't like the idea of "searching" for a job and being selected on the basis of a few interviews by someone who I doubt is qualified to do so.

Then, what to do? Open my own business? What did you guys do when you graduated?

Victor Eremita

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 07:23 am
@platorepublic,
Depends on whether you have coop or related work experience when you graduate
If none, you'll have a tough time, especially with a science degree.
The vicious cycle of "No job, no work experience; no work experience, no job" applies even to science and arts degree holders

qualia

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 07:35 am
@Victor Eremita,
Thought you might like the idea expressed by R. Federman:

RADIO TALK

An interviewer
on a radio talk show
asks an artist
to tell him if
the numbers of hours
he spends painting
in a year corresponds
to the amount of money
he makes in that year

The artist mumbles
something about how
art and money
are not compatible
and leaves it at that

I wanted to butt in
and tell that *******
interviewer that
he was confusing
A job with Work

A job is where one
goes to make money
Work (especially
Work well done) is
what gives pleasure
and nothing else

A job is boring
A job is tedious
A job is embarrasing
A job is exploitative
A job is humiliating
A job is idiotic
A job is a waste of time

But Work well done
always gives pleasure
and satisfaction

A job is what you do
five days a week
for a determined
amount of time
usually prescribed
by your boss
and your needs
A job is limiting

Work takes place
all the time
even when you sleep
Work is indefinite

Victor Eremita

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 07:38 am
@platorepublic,
Yup, if Job = Work, that is the dream job.

harlequin phil

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 08:36 am
@platorepublic,
after high school, i enlisted in the army, it was my dream job. i traveled the world, got to do some wars, lived in a few different countries, did things people only read about or see on tv, and i had a blast. i was lucky because all i ever wanted to do was be in the army. while i did that, i matured, developed, figured out what i want to do and who i am.

this whole lie of "get a job doing what you like" i think has aided in the downfall of america. people now seem to think they are entitled to get paid for doing their leisure activity, and they don't know what they want to do for fun and think "i can't get a job, i dont' know what to do."

do you think the guys who built the railroads, mined the coal, built roads through mountains, worked the refineries, dug ditches, etc, do you think they liked that? do you think that is what they wanted to do? no, but they did it, because it was a job. it was work, it paid, and they did it.

why don't you get a job that pays you enough money to live on, and do it well, and don't look for it to define you, and don't look for it to make you happy. its a job. it is something that needs to be done, that is all. while you are working your job and being a productive member of a functioning society, you can use your off time to pursue your interests, be they art/science/getting high and playing video games/whatever. then, after a few years, maybe, just maybe, you can figure a way to turn your interest into something that makes you money to support you.

platorepublic

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 10:24 am
@Victor Eremita,
Victor Eremita;175008 wrote:
Depends on whether you have coop or related work experience when you graduate
If none, you'll have a tough time, especially with a science degree.
The vicious cycle of "No job, no work experience; no work experience, no job" applies even to science and arts degree holders

That's not very philosophical of you.

I am so disappointed, I was expecting something more on the lines of "just believe in yourself and you will have already found your dream job."

---------- Post added 06-09-2010 at 06:23 PM ----------

Interesting find: Bridgewater - Philosophy

Check out pdf at the end of the website.

jespah

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 04:12 am
It has taken me several years to get to a dream job, but a part of that is due to it not existing when I graduated (my undergrad is class of '83).

Be that as it may, unfortunately, interviews are the selection process by which employers select new employees. They are, understandably, an artificial form of communications and socializing. Think of them like a stylized dance, e. g. a waltz or a minuet (or breakin' if you prefer that) and do the steps accordingly.

What I'm saying is, if the reward is on the other side of a wall, you climb the wall. So climb. Smile

PS If you're unsure of what to do, you're far from alone. Most people have no idea.

jeeprs

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 11:13 pm
@platorepublic,
I was a 60's rebel drop out. I was convinced I was going to 'make it' as a musician. I had talent, but no professional credibility to speak of. Never mind, I thought, it will work out. Ended up driving a taxi for a long while. Didn't really have much of a clue what to do for a living until I stumbled into a role in a computer shop on Campus, age 30. It turned into 'managing the computer shop'. This was in the early heyday of Macintosh computers. Suddenly, and completely unexpectedly, I became a computer guru, having not known what a computer was only a short time previously.

I won't say 'I haven't looked back', or anything, but it did open up a number of career directions which I could never have anticipated. I ended up working at Apple itself, which was a high point, albeit as a 'contractor' , rather than as a salaried staff member. I finally hit upon a career as technical writer when my eldest son was in high school. I'm very good at it, and it is a good career path, and it only took me about 4 decades to work it out.

So whatever you do, don't rush it.

Victor Eremita

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 11:27 pm
@platorepublic,
Well yeah I guess I was being pragmatic about it. A lot of people have to try hard to find a good job, much less a dream job. Networking, going to job fairs, meeting employers, volunteering are all good things to help with the search.

aidan

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 11:45 pm
@platorepublic,
I graduated with a degree in English with a minor in behavioral studies- which had been my dream way to spend my time at college/university- I wanted to be able to read and write under the guidance of people who'd read and written things I loved to read.
I loved it, but it didn't really prepare me for a job of any sort because I knew I didn't want to teach people like me- I wouldn't have felt that I was doing anything very useful - guiding people to read the classics and write essays about them. Not that I'm putting that down as a profession - I just wanted to work with different sorts of people from people who were just like me.

So, I got a job as a waitress, then I cleaned hotel rooms, then I worked as a receptionist at a Fred Astaire dance studio and then BINGO, I got a job working as a houseparent at residential home for children who'd been taken from their homes and were awaiting placement based on the court's decision.

I went to court with these kids, so I thought, maybe I could be a child advocacy lawyer. I talked to someone who was a lawyer and he told me he didn't really have that much contact with the kids. Then I thought I could be a social worker - but when I saw how many times these kids were fucked around by the system despite their social worker's best efforts, I thought, 'I'd be in a constant state of agitation and worry and disappointment if I did that for a job.'

So I thought, I'll be a speech and language therapist/audiologist. Got admitted to the graduate school in that program - went for six months and realized that I'd be playing a more clinical and peripheral role in these kids' lives than what I'd like to do. So I switched to Special and Remedial Education and got certified to teach any age child from birth to 12th grade who had any sort of developmental or learning disability.

This has resulted in a series of dream jobs for me. I get to spend all my time with people who are different from me, and for whom I feel I make a real difference . It's very rewarding.
And fun - we have a lot of laughs.

I got my current jobt when I went to the local college to get certified in adult literacy. They looked at my qualifications and experience and told me I had the equivalent of a certificate and did I think I might like teaching in a prison. I thought, 'Ill give it a try,' and ended up in another dream job.

Just be willing to keep putting your toe in and experiencing different things and what you most like and want to do will soon become apparent- or at least you'll learn a lot about what you DON'T want to do.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Finding your dream job
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 01:24:51