A Toast to the Philosophy Forum

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » A Toast to the Philosophy Forum

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 07:09 am
Seeing that the Philosophy Forum is still around in its current form, I like to make a toast to the forum before it embarks onto the next generation of its, dare I say, evolution. I believe I've mentioned before that what attracted me to the forum back in '08 was its aesthetic appeal, organized subsections, and the general quality of the posts. It seemed to be one of the few philosophy forums to stand out among the others.

As Robert says we'll be joining 100,000+ members in his new forum, and while the larger size of users will indicate much more philosophy discussion to come, I think there's still something to be said about a small-knit community forum with a medium size user base specializing in "science, religion, philosophy, humanity".

So, here's to the philosophy forum. Congratulations on growing the forum from a very simple vBulletin shell to a forum with chat, blogs, videos, pics, groups, and a large database of philosophical and religious discussion. Bring on the 100,000+ philosophical n00bs.

harlequin phil

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 08:43 am
@Victor Eremita,
huzzah. i love toast. especially with nutella.

Arjuna

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 09:08 am
@harlequin phil,
To the forum that's gone now (miss you Aedes... I learned a lot from you... thanks) and to the one that is to come.

salima

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 09:48 am
@Victor Eremita,
contrary to the many ads i get in email almost daily, bigger isnt necessarily better

platorepublic

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 10:17 am
@Victor Eremita,
So where is this new forum? Is it possible to know now?

GoshisDead

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 10:18 am
@salima,
wow that is a large user base, I might not have the time to follow that big a thread count, but then again it might have more threads that interest me. I have enjoyed this small community.

platorepublic

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 10:20 am
@Victor Eremita,
So can you all be a bit less cryptic and tell us what exactly is going on?

A + B = C?

or A + B = B (+A) ??

Victor Eremita

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 12:40 pm
@Victor Eremita,
platorepublic;175066 wrote:

I would have to say it's possible to be able to know now.

Quote:
So can you all be a bit less cryptic and tell us what exactly is going on?

A + B = C?

or A + B = B (+A) ??

I would imagine that it would be A + B = B ( + A )
for a while when we get accustomed to the new board
but eventually over a short period of time, we will be A + B = C as we fully integrate into the new board.

salima

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 05:50 pm
@Victor Eremita,
i am not sure the new place has a philosophy section at present-there was a sort of description on one of the other threads i found. it sounded to me like we would be moving in intact in our neighborhood and then be able to travel around so to speak. think about it-out of 100,000 people how many would be interested in philosophy? so some of them will notice the new section and want to join into discussions...i could be wrong, but that is the impression i got from something someone said...maybe it was one of the moderators. i dont think it is a merge with another philosophy forum...

also there are interests other than philosophy to people on this forum, which you can see by the social groups and some of the discussions, so it may give some more freedom in subject material to some of us-i hope they have a goat forum...love those critters.

Victor Eremita

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 07:21 pm
@salima,
salima;175146 wrote:
i am not sure the new place has a philosophy section at present-there was a sort of description on one of the other threads i found. it sounded to me like we would be moving in intact in our neighborhood and then be able to travel around so to speak. think about it-out of 100,000 people how many would be interested in philosophy? so some of them will notice the new section and want to join into discussions...i could be wrong, but that is the impression i got from something someone said...maybe it was one of the moderators. i dont think it is a merge with another philosophy forum...

also there are interests other than philosophy to people on this forum, which you can see by the social groups and some of the discussions, so it may give some more freedom in subject material to some of us-i hope they have a goat forum...love those critters.

With 100,000+ members, it's not going to be a specialized philosophy forum; it's probably going to be a general forum with many topics. Its Philosophy section would be there, and it will get a big boost when we join it. But out of those 100,000 there's bound to be a few interested in philosophy and religion.

You probably could get a goat forum lol.

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 10:47 pm
@Victor Eremita,
I'll toast to Philforum. It certainly is a special group of people and I hope you guys give us a chance here at a2k, also a community I hold in high esteem.

Welcome to a2k Philforum!

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 10:49 pm
@platorepublic,
platorepublic wrote:

I believe you are now able to know.

roger

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 10:57 pm
@Victor Eremita,
Victor Eremita wrote:

You probably could get a goat forum lol.

Now that you mention it, I'm sure you could.

Don't be dazzled by the 100,000 + members. There's probably around 150 regular posters, whose only concensus seems to be opposition to oil leaks in the Gulf.

Anyhow, welcome.

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 11:01 pm
@salima,
salima, here is your goat forum:

http://able2know.org/forum/goats/

Let me know if you want help with a username fix, I noticed you had "phil" appended so that must mean "salima" was already in use.

Irishk

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 11:01 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
There's probably around 150 regular posters...

That many, you think? I'll take your word for it...sounds like a lot from what I've seen, though.

Victor Eremita

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 11:02 pm
Hello, so it's now the a2k philforum, eh? It's like Ameritrade merging with TD to become TD Ameritrade

"Buy 'em out, boys!" lol, I kid!

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 11:02 pm
@Irishk,
Oh there's a lot more than that. But still, nothing as overwhelming as they might have had in mind.

roger

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 11:05 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Okay, I forgot Robert. That makes 151

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 11:24 pm
@roger,
Like I said, a lot more. Mr. Green

dlowan

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 11:45 pm
@Victor Eremita,
Here's a toast to your forum too, and a happy welcome!

Hope you like the amalgam, when you settle in.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » A Toast to the Philosophy Forum
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 07:44:52