Where do you find near by philosophers?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Where do you find near by philosophers?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2010 05:51 pm
How do you meet other philosophers near where you live? If you are interest in say Kant, where do you meet someone near you that share your interest, and talk with you about Kant? There must be a place for that, don` t you think?

Soul Brother

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2010 07:22 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
I do not think there would be such a thing. However if you are interested you could consider taking it upon yourself to push for for it, I guess you could even see about trying to put forth a place in this very forum where people can discuss and arrange such meetings.

Good luck.

wayne

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 12:40 am
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent;173584 wrote:
How do you meet other philosophers near where you live? If you are interest in say Kant, where do you meet someone near you that share your interest, and talk with you about Kant? There must be a place for that, don` t you think?

I would guess your best chances might be found by becoming a regular at a local coffee shop. Not one of those chains, look for one that has poetry readings and local musical talent. The type of people you seek tend to frequent that type of environment.

de Silentio

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 07:38 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent;173584 wrote:

At your local university. Spend some money and take a few classes. You'll meet both students and professors who can potentially become great people to dialogue with.

daredevil

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 08:57 pm
@de Silentio,
i know what u man I too am intulectualy alone most of the time, I live in a small country town in Ga...it's pretty bad, I can't even get into deep philosophical conversations with my own wife. my family are pretty with it intulectualy but are VERY conservitive an d religios, so too many wall there

jack phil

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 09:48 am
@TuringEquivalent,
There are a couple philosophy groups in my town (Austin TX) and I am sure other cities have such groups. Google "Your City + Philosophy" for fast results!

I went to a couple meetings and sort of found it terrible. I am reminded of how there was a meeting of philosophers in Cambridge, where Wittgenstein was teaching, and he remarked it was as if it had just been announced that the bubonic plague was coming to town. I think he left the country when the conference occurred.

Another time, studying in his early years, he came into a lecture hall rather early; another student thought him out of place and said something like "I am afraid there is going to be a meeting of philosophers here in a bit" and Wittgenstein responded "Me too" or "Terrifying, is it not?"

/2 cents

G-Thomson

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 09:50 am
@jack phil,
I couldn't imagine anything like that occurring in my small town.
It would be good if there was something for the people who were into it, but I'm afraid I shall never see it unless I started it.

Huxley

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 10:29 am
@G-Thomson,
I find them at my local coffee shop, mostly. They may not want to discuss Kant, per se (well, one person does. But not many), but conversations tend to buzz around controversial and philosophical topics, and there are a number of people that I enjoy hearing share their thoughts.

harlequin phil

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 08:35 am
@TuringEquivalent,
the closest thing we have around me is the "socrates cafe" at the barnes and noble. modeled after the book by the same name, a bunch of us armchair idiots who may or may have not read a book or two about philosophy (Nietzsche for beginners! an introduction to Heidegger!) get together and feebly attempt philosophy. sometimes it's pretty worth it. if any real actual philosophers heard us they would most likely break out in hives.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Where do you find near by philosophers?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/27/2024 at 01:30:27