Super Volcanoes

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Super Volcanoes

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Arjuna

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 03:19 pm
So it turns out Yellowstone National Park is riding on a big chamber of molten magma that occasionally erupts in such a way that it covers most of the continental US with about a foot of ash and can result in the earth being covered in snow, the oceans cooling, and the earth entering a mini-ice age. It's not the biggest of its kind, but one of the most active.

The last super eruption was 640,000 years ago. It's amazing how contemplating stuff like that makes so many problems seem insignificant.

GoshisDead

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 03:26 pm
@Arjuna,
it might be the answer to global warming.

Also Yellowstone lake is in the caldera and it is trapping enough toxic gas to poison the residents of of three states depending on the prevailing weather patterns on the day it erupts.

sometime sun

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 07:21 pm
@GoshisDead,
I heard it was overdue.
Yellowstone National Park - Volcano Questions & Answers (U.S. National Park Service)

HexHammer

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 01:42 am
@Arjuna,
It's a good indication to that global warming isn't manmade, but due to vulcanic activity.

Jebediah

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 10:43 am
@Arjuna,
Arjuna;169222 wrote:
So it turns out Yellowstone National Park is riding on a big chamber of molten magma that occasionally erupts in such a way that it covers most of the continental US with about a foot of ash and can result in the earth being covered in snow, the oceans cooling, and the earth entering a mini-ice age. It's not the biggest of its kind, but one of the most active.

The last super eruption was 640,000 years ago. It's amazing how contemplating stuff like that makes so many problems seem insignificant.

I wonder if it puts oil spills and the like into perspective...

It's overdue I think, but still very unlikely to go off in our lifetime, given the time scale.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Super Volcanoes
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 05:03:00