do humans need a purpose?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » do humans need a purpose?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 11:41 am
having just read and answered this thread.... http://www.philosophyforum.com/lounge/general-discussion/9096-time-money-not-both.html...., it got me thinking...do humans need a purpose?

right now i don't work, because i don't have to. i get up and pretty much do whatever i want. i have no purpose, i don't produce anything, i just am. i'm not complaining, but sometimes i do feel odd, perhaps guilty, or whatever. i worked for 20 years, and the sudden change, the sudden stop, was a bit of a jolt, one i had to get used to, and it still sometimes feels odd to not have to be anywhere or do anything. i almost feel as if i've somehow removed myself a step or two from society, and now i'm on the fringe, not really part of the group.

so my question is...are we hardwired to need a purpose? everyone says they would like to retire and do nothing, but when they do they get bored and need to do something. is this just because of how we are raised, to work and be productive? or do we need to be an integral part of a larger machine?

Ding an Sich

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 12:08 pm
@harlequin phil,
harlequin;168615 wrote:
having just read and answered this thread.... http://www.philosophyforum.com/lounge/general-discussion/9096-time-money-not-both.html...., it got me thinking...do humans need a purpose?

right now i don't work, because i don't have to. i get up and pretty much do whatever i want. i have no purpose, i don't produce anything, i just am. i'm not complaining, but sometimes i do feel odd, perhaps guilty, or whatever. i worked for 20 years, and the sudden change, the sudden stop, was a bit of a jolt, one i had to get used to, and it still sometimes feels odd to not have to be anywhere or do anything. i almost feel as if i've somehow removed myself a step or two from society, and now i'm on the fringe, not really part of the group.

so my question is...are we hardwired to need a purpose? everyone says they would like to retire and do nothing, but when they do they get bored and need to do something. is this just because of how we are raised, to work and be productive? or do we need to be an integral part of a larger machine?

Humans need to produce, and the best way to do that is through work. Work, I would say, is one of the best things you can do for yourself (so long as you dont overdo it). At our very core we want to produce and use creativity. Its not a societal phenomenon or an aspect based upon how we are raised: it is, dare I say it, innate in us.

HexHammer

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 12:52 pm
@Ding an Sich,
Ding_an_Sich;168626 wrote:
Humans need to produce, and the best way to do that is through work. Work, I would say, is one of the best things you can do for yourself (so long as you dont overdo it). At our very core we want to produce and use creativity. Its not a societal phenomenon or an aspect based upon how we are raised: it is, dare I say it, innate in us.
Usually people who doesn't feel they have a purpose in life will be depressed, specially yong people needs a purpose else they often become hooligans.

GoshisDead

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 01:33 pm
@HexHammer,
Your purpose might be leisure

blogbomber

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 01:40 pm
@harlequin phil,
Biologically for males once you re-produce you have already served your purpose which was to attract a female and continuation of your genes. For females after you raise the child you have already served your purpose.

I don't believe just working will help solve the purpose for humans. You can train a horse to work (Physics: Force * Distance = Work, lifting a box from A to B is work). I agree that productivity is a part of it, but a sense of accomplishment over what you achieved from work will have its own rewards and purpose maybe one of them.

GoshisDead

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 01:43 pm
@blogbomber,
blogbomber;168651 wrote:
Biologically for males once you re-produce you have already served your purpose which was to attract a female and continuation of your genes. For females after you raise the child you have already served your purpose.

I don't believe just working will help solve the purpose for humans. You can train a horse to work (Physics: Force * Distance = Work, lifting a box from A to B is work). I agree that productivity is a part of it, but a sense of accomplishment over what you achieved from work will have its own rewards and purpose maybe one of them.

also biologically a man can impregnate a woman up to nine hours after he's dead (or rather the sperm is viable). So by above criteria, a man is never purposeless after sexual maturity.

sometime sun

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 02:10 pm
@GoshisDead,
Idle hands make for light work.

The devil makes work for idle hands.

Idle hands make mischief.

What is the alternative to purpose?

Purpose should be forced upon people if they do not find their own or if it is not of a productive nature.

blogbomber

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 02:43 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;168656 wrote:
also biologically a man can impregnate a woman up to nine hours after he's dead (or rather the sperm is viable). So by above criteria, a man is never purposeless after sexual maturity.

His body serves a purpose like all objects. But the mind having purpose is the question. Is purpose an illusion of control?

GoshisDead

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 02:46 pm
@blogbomber,
blogbomber;168705 wrote:
His body serves a purpose like all objects. But the mind having purpose is the question. Is purpose an illusion of control?

That is the question isn't it.

sometime sun

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 02:51 pm
@blogbomber,
blogbomber;168705 wrote:

Control the purpose of illusion?
Illusion the control of purpose?
Control the illusion of purpose?
Illusion the purpose of control?

Is purpose the control of illusion?

blogbomber

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 03:23 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;168706 wrote:
That is the question isn't it.

Originally, No it wasn't. I did rephrase the original question

GoshisDead

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 03:30 pm
@blogbomber,
So we are separating the mind from all biological drives?

blogbomber

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 04:12 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;168710 wrote:
Control the purpose of illusion?
Illusion the control of purpose?
Control the illusion of purpose?
Illusion the purpose of control?

Is purpose the control of illusion?

Those all could all be forum topics :bigsmile:

sometime sun

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 04:15 pm
@blogbomber,
blogbomber;168771 wrote:
Those all could all be forum topics :bigsmile:

I know..............

blogbomber

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 04:39 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;168749 wrote:
So we are separating the mind from all biological drives?

I agree let's separate the two for this question.

Is there a definition we can agree upon for purpose?

sometime sun

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 04:45 pm
@blogbomber,
blogbomber;168789 wrote:
I agree let's separate the two for this question.

Is there a definition we can agree upon for purpose?

Qualification perhaps?

GoshisDead

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 04:46 pm
@blogbomber,
Whicher you like.

I would take biological purposes as granted though, leaving us with mental, including emotions, psychological, social etc...

blogbomber

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 06:51 pm
@harlequin phil,
Quantity? Does purpose need to be measurable not necessarily tangable (but it can be). A thought you never had, along the lines of growth development

LordScroop

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 02:50 am
@harlequin phil,
Hi, I just joined as I woulkd like to read rather try and answer for awhile. I have been involved in few philosophical debates/chats. I hope my thought process evolves the more i read!

The question "Do humans need a purpose"feels too short or is ambiguous the right word. ? When one says 'NEEDS' in this question what is that word implying?

I'm unemployed and I feel truly without purpose. I really WANT a purpose. Yet I go on day after day after month without any sense of purpose. So i could say Ive proven to myself I need not have purpose. To live.

I just read Origin of species. I think im atheist now. But that has no bearing on this .

Do dolphins need to have purpose ? Does my dog need purpose when I can see he loves just being around me wherever i go on the farm and whatever I am doing he is happy to just be by my side. To go off on a tangent , my big black Weinmerana rottwheiler cross got jelous for attention when I got a new pup. He knew to kill the free range chickens was going to make me mad at him and rouse and smack him. He began killing one every day and leaving it at the front stairs to the homestead. Each time he was smacked and roused at. I am convinced he preferred negative attention in preference to not getting as much as before the new pup arrived. After 6 days of dead chickens I became very angry with him, He got the message and the killing stopped ,plus I also gave him more of my time and a little less of the new pup.

Also i don't believe in Free Will , ill explain that definition as i understand it later. My dog was acting according to natural laws. He had to kill to satisfy his need for attention. He had to stop killing to satisfy his need not to be punished. Laughing

Khethil

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 07:40 am
@LordScroop,
Yea, I think one needs to have regular things to do that help occupy their time.

I've set up a routine that helps keep me going. I do something for my body, something for my heart and something for my head each day. I do like to feel productive and useful, but there are many other ways to do that rather than sell your time and energies (i.e., become employed just to be employed) just to have something to do. Just most people must sell themselves to get the money they need doesn't mean its automatically the right choice for you "just cuz everyone does it". If you don't have too, count yourself fortunate then make the most of it.

Its a great time and opportunity to break loose from the rat race and not many are even able (practically) to have that chance. But yea, I would find things to do that occupy your time - there's lots and lots out there for the choosing.

Good luck

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » do humans need a purpose?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 08:58:34