Hello guys

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Glauber

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 05:54 am
I'm a student of Philosophy, and my main areas of interest, besides Philosophy, of course, are Psychoanalysis, Theology and Computing. I'm a Systems Analyst and Programmer. I'm sure I'll learn here a great deal with you all.

Justin

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 07:33 am
@Glauber,
Hello and a warm welcome Glauber! Thanks for the introduction hope to see you in the forums.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 08:57 am
@Justin,
Hi! So you like Philosophy and computing. I think you would like The Myth of the Computer by John Searle. I don't know if you're familiar with it, but this has everything you are interested in in a five page article, "mind as computer" and what not. Welcome!

Glauber

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 10:10 am
@VideCorSpoon,
Hello VideCorSpoon,

Thank you for the indication, I'd never heard about this article. Could you please tell me if that's the full version of it in this url? The Myth of the Computer - The New York Review of Books

VideCorSpoon

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 10:46 am
@Glauber,
Thats it! Word for word! I think you'll like the Chinese room argument, it is one of my favorites.

First, his idea and conception of computers is really outdated, because he wrote it before the super information age... so bear with him.

Also, when you go through the article, you'll come across the word "qua" as in "...and qua computer it isn't..." every so often. I have never been able to find a good explanation for this word on google, but this is what it means. qua means "computer as the computer as and in itelf" alone. This is a metaphysical concept. Its like the idea of just a computer and nothing else, not the programs on it or the color of the computer or the size, shape, etc. Just the idea of a computer, like a platonic form.

enjoy! Hope to discuss it with you.

Aristoddler

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 06:08 pm
@Glauber,
Heya!
I gotta go read that now, so I can figure out what qua means...

VideCorSpoon

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 06:47 pm
@Aristoddler,
That's great Aristoddler! You like Glaubber express interest in mind/ body connectivity. I hope you indeed find meaning of qua, it seems like its a difficult concept to grasp in general as I have come to understand from various postings. Good for You!!!

Edvin

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 11:53 pm
@Glauber,
'Qua', as defined in an online dictionary, "...In the capacity or character of."
Maybe, in some instances 'qua' may refer to the definition of the word?

VideCorSpoon

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 12:22 am
@Edvin,
Yup, from the Ludwig Institute website.

Qua
, (Latin). Considered as; in the capacity or character of; as far as; as.
Glossary, Qua - Monetary theory of the trade cycle

You bring up a really good point. You could take "qua" to mean the definition of a word. So if I said "being qua being" in the respect Aristotle and used your translation of the word, we get "being as the definition of being." This ties in logically to the additional contexts of the definition, "being as far as being" and "being as being."

I agree with you Edvin, definition is an acceptable translation. I agree also because the etymology of definition "dei-fini" means in "to make finite." This fits snug in Aristotle's metaphysical contexts. Good point.

Aristoddler

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 05:47 pm
@Glauber,
From what I've been reading so far, I believe that he used qua as a fictional word to express a metaphor.
I also believe that that metaphor is used to help us familiarize ourself with what qua is defined as, technically.
Still reading though.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 01:40:17