How do you wake up?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » How do you wake up?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 03:03 pm
Okay, this might be a bit lame for a philosophy forum, but it's getting a bit annoying because it has been quite difficult waking up early these few days.

I am not an evening person, so I cannot study/work during the evening, so I want to wake up early to work, but it seems almost impossible lately...

I set the alarm clock at 5 am, sleep at around 11 pm. I wake up at 5 am but then I snooze until forever, until 9 am!! That's very unproductive - I might as well set the alarm clock to 9 am!

Do you guys have any tips on waking up early with a bang!?

---------- Post added 05-12-2010 at 10:05 PM ----------

I found this interesting site if anyone is interested: How to Wake Up Early

---------- Post added 05-12-2010 at 10:11 PM ----------

Ok I have this idea:

1. Put alarm clock far from bed, on working desk.

2. This working desk has a cup of water.

3. Drink it - this will wake me "from the inside". Alarm clock only wakes up the mind, not the body. The water will wake up my body.

4. On the desk, will also be a list of things I have to do for the morning.

5. Start doing the list of things!

sometime sun

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 07:46 pm
@platorepublic,
How do I wake up?
I don't think I could if I wanted to.Smile

Will try the water thing though.

Jebediah

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 07:57 pm
@platorepublic,
Why are you trying to get just 6 hours of sleep? that's not a good idea. Sleep till 9.

Fido

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 09:19 pm
@platorepublic,
platorepublic;163559 wrote:
Okay, this might be a bit lame for a philosophy forum, but it's getting a bit annoying because it has been quite difficult waking up early these few days.

I am not an evening person, so I cannot study/work during the evening, so I want to wake up early to work, but it seems almost impossible lately...

I set the alarm clock at 5 am, sleep at around 11 pm. I wake up at 5 am but then I snooze until forever, until 9 am!! That's very unproductive - I might as well set the alarm clock to 9 am!

Do you guys have any tips on waking up early with a bang!?

---------- Post added 05-12-2010 at 10:05 PM ----------

I found this interesting site if anyone is interested: How to Wake Up Early

---------- Post added 05-12-2010 at 10:11 PM ----------

Ok I have this idea:

1. Put alarm clock far from bed, on working desk.

2. This working desk has a cup of water.

3. Drink it - this will wake me "from the inside". Alarm clock only wakes up the mind, not the body. The water will wake up my body.

4. On the desk, will also be a list of things I have to do for the morning.

5. Start doing the list of things!

If nothing else works, try washing some ice cream down with coffee... Usually I get up with a piece of high fiber bread, with peanut butter and home made jelly, and a bananna or half, and some phil form, and then a good workout or run... I fall out after a real breakfast, but then I am good to go for many hours...

platorepublic

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 12:49 am
@platorepublic,
YAY! The water thing worked!

Pyrrho

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 06:29 am
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;163674 wrote:
Why are you trying to get just 6 hours of sleep? that's not a good idea. Sleep till 9.

Yes. It is a very bad idea to try to get by on only 6 hours of sleep. Most people need 8 or 9 hours for optimum functioning, though there are some exceptions. If one is having trouble getting up with only 6 hours of sleep, that is a good reason to believe that one is not one of the exceptions.

josh0335

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 07:58 am
@Pyrrho,
If you have a sound system in your room you can set a song for your alarm clock. Set the volume high so it gives you a shock when it starts. For best results, try this song:

YouTube - Ludacris - Stand Up ft. Shawnna

Stand up!

Ergo phil

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 08:09 am
@platorepublic,
Always with a hard-on.

Always.

serunato

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 08:14 am
@platorepublic,
Yeah, I'd say go to bed earlier or sleep later. Like Pyrrho said, different people need different amounts of sleep. Personally I need 7 hours to feel fully rested. Can get by on as little as 4 for a day or two. But if I get more than 8 I feel like I'm in a fog all day. Unless I'm sick...or drunk...then 9 or 10 or 12 might be needed.

I've noticed that in our society it has become a sign of masculinity to sleep less and a sign of weakness to need more sleep. Even goes back to the old adage that it takes 6 hours of sleep for a man, 7 hours for a woman and 8 hours for a fool. Einstein was quite a fool, he regularly slept 12 hours a day.

TheSeaErskine

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 09:23 am
@serunato,
I frequently have to wake up at 4 or 5 in the morning. And i'm not good at early nights. I just think, if i get up, something great might happen.

mark noble

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 09:29 am
@TheSeaErskine,
Hello,
I have three alarm clocks, set 10 seconds apart, one on my wrist, one within reach and one on the other side of the room. I settle at 9-10pm tues-sat, unless on hols, and rise at 4am. I have never been late for work. Once my feet hit the floor - I'm up!

Thank you, and rise rapidly. (except for you, Ergo. You need to discover self-control)

Mark...

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » How do you wake up?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/26/2024 at 09:22:48