Walking on water.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Walking on water.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Pyrrho

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 11:18 am
Here we have a claim of people saying that they can walk on water (actually, it is a claim of being able to run on water, but let us not start with a quibble):

LIQUID MOUNTAINEERING: WALK ON WATER

If you need further comment, I will probably return at some point to do so. But in case I drop dead before having a chance to return, here is something by Hume:

Online Library of Liberty - SECTION X.: of miracles. - Enquiries Concerning the Human Understanding and Concerning the Principles of Morals

Unfortunately, those most in need of Hume are the least likely to actually read him, and the least likely to understand him if they did.

Emil

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 11:42 am
@Pyrrho,
There is also a thread about this on FRDB, you may want to see that one too.

Jebediah

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 11:55 am
@Pyrrho,
Hmm, my impression is that they are making fun of the miraculous claims people make.

-edit-

YouTube - Mythbusters- Walking on "Water"

GoshisDead

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 11:56 am
@Jebediah,
think so? no way!

sometime sun

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 04:19 pm
@GoshisDead,
Walking on water is more and less than a miracle it is also a metaphor, for what I am just starting to fathom.

---------- Post added 05-12-2010 at 11:21 PM ----------

Most need of Hume?
What of humming hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:D

HexHammer

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 06:18 pm
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;163507 wrote:
Hmm, my impression is that they are making fun of the miraculous claims people make.

-edit-

YouTube - Mythbusters- Walking on "Water"
That would be the same as saying mud = water ..which it's not, it's rubbish.

jeeprs

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 05:52 am
@Pyrrho,
Well perish the thought of what would happen to the boating industry, should it turn out to be true.

I have a question, though. The image of 'walking on water' actually has a pedigree in Western culture, in that Jesus Christ was said to have done so, in the Bible. Indeed 'walks on water' is a common idiomatic expression for 'one who is perfect in every way'.

I ask myself: do I believe it, in the case of Jesus Christ? And actually, I find this a difficult question to answer. For if I doubt it, then there is no reason not to doubt all of the other accounts of the Life and Teachings. Then it is but a short step to believe that all of those accounts really are just mythology. And from there, to the conclusion that the spiritual foundation of Western culture is but delusion and fancy. And indeed this seems a conclusion many are ready to accept.

On the other hand, if I believe it, what does that mean? Under what obligation am I placed, if I believe it to be true? Does it mean I am well advised to be a Christian?

These are quite difficult questions, I think. They are easy for those who utterly doubt them, and easy for those who just accept them. But I don't find them easy questions.

But as for someone claiming to walk on water, or saying it can be done, I would be completely skeptical.

prothero

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 11:51 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;164554 wrote:
I ask myself: do I believe it, in the case of Jesus Christ? And actually, I find this a difficult question to answer. For if I doubt it, then there is no reason not to doubt all of the other accounts of the Life and Teachings. Then it is but a short step to believe that all of those accounts really are just mythology. And from there, to the conclusion that the spiritual foundation of Western culture is but delusion and fancy. And indeed this seems a conclusion many are ready to accept..

Don't you think a religious conception which takes "stubborn facts" into account is on a firmer basis than one that relies on "supernatural intervention" and "miracles"?
Does one really have to believe in gods ability to contravene the laws of nature to be a "Christian" or to have faith?
Almost all the miracle stories and parables have a deeper meaning, social context and understanding than the literal and the historical factual.

Revealed religion, supernatural interventions and miracles make me uneasy and makes god too arbitrary and unpredictable to depend on IMHO.

xelzaar

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 08:05 am
@Pyrrho,
Not only did Jesus walk on water, so did Peter the disciple. I think this is how the story goes.

Disciples are fishing and the weather turns bad. They suddenly see Jesus walking towards them. Peter asks: "Is that you Jesus?" Jesus says yes. Peter then says: "If it is you make me come to you." Jesus says ok.

So Peter gets out of the boat and miraculously starts walking on water and towards Jesus Christ. Peter then starts to sink when he loses concentration and notices that the waves are getting higher etc.

Peter cries out to Christ and gets a helping hand.

Jesus asks? "Why did you doubt?"

There is another verse that states that if one has the faith of a mustard seed (a very small seed indeed) one can say to a mountain - move over here and it does.

Peter's faith gave him the ability to walk on water.

MY THEORY is that the water molecules beneath the feet hardened while maintaining flexibility. This hardening most probably changed the structure of the molecular bonding right down to the sea's base. Peter's doubting started to weaken the structure.

With the right technology we could imitate it. Would be a great invention.

I'd buy it and walk overseas. Cheaper.

HexHammer

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 09:14 am
@xelzaar,
xelzaar;164925 wrote:
Not only did Jesus walk on water, so did Peter the disciple. I think this is how the story goes.

Disciples are fishing and the weather turns bad. They suddenly see Jesus walking towards them. Peter asks: "Is that you Jesus?" Jesus says yes. Peter then says: "If it is you make me come to you." Jesus says ok.

So Peter gets out of the boat and miraculously starts walking on water and towards Jesus Christ. Peter then starts to sink when he loses concentration and notices that the waves are getting higher etc.

Peter cries out to Christ and gets a helping hand.

Jesus asks? "Why did you doubt?"

There is another verse that states that if one has the faith of a mustard seed (a very small seed indeed) one can say to a mountain - move over here and it does.

Peter's faith gave him the ability to walk on water.

MY THEORY is that the water molecules beneath the feet hardened while maintaining flexibility. This hardening most probably changed the structure of the molecular bonding right down to the sea's base. Peter's doubting started to weaken the structure.

With the right technology we could imitate it. Would be a great invention.

I'd buy it and walk overseas. Cheaper.
In the latest translation of the earliest known bible, it is that Jesus walked "at" the water, not "on" the water effectivly debunking this minor miracle.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Walking on water.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 04:16:03