What do you think of other members in this forum?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Soul Brother

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 09:43 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;166488 wrote:
Now, that is what I suspected, but, well, you know how it is. I am as politically correct as the next gay-sorry, "guy", (I meant to say).

But between you and me, do you think it is fun to have love in your shirt?

Why don't I come over and you can tell me?

kennethamy

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 09:47 am
@Soul Brother,
Soul Brother;166492 wrote:

Nah!.......Nah!........Nah!

William

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 03:40 pm
@platorepublic,
Reconstructo;165924 wrote:
Self-education means tackling difficult books with your own mind, on your own time. You don't do it for some scrap of paper, or Teacher's admiring looks.

I think you will find that in your particular case you were not tackling. You found it easily compelling to read certain books. Not all books. Many have to tackle words to comprehend them, some don't.

Conscious learning can be understood as our penance for misunderstanding. A process of trial and error until we do understand. The thing is many books are becoming obsolete in that now we can know what we need to know from others via this new unadulterated media. Granted many of those "others", much of what they know came from books. What is important here is whether or not that which was learned was of conscious effort/cramming or was not/a flow?

When we observe death we observe a conclusion and why we effort to learn as much as we can before that happens. Our mind, unadulterated with extraneous stuff, will do that naturally if not encumbered/burdened/laded with so much stuff that was "crammed into it". If you truly want to understand what freedom is, free up that mind and stop warring with yourself then one will understand how that mind operates/functions when it is free and at peace with YOU.

I can only despise the small souls who speak against this beautiful process.

Nah, that's not you; that's anger my friend. Yes, it is frustrating to communicate with any one who is not a blessed as you who finds so much joy in reading. Me, I hate to read and only read that which I search for and to do that one has to ask the right questions. The mind is no different except it can find the answers you need much more expeditiously if we don't rush it. That depends on conscious memory content and how much "wading" it has to go through, ha! This reminds me of an adage; "It's difficult for one to remember their objective was to drain the pond when they are up to their ass in alligators", ha!

I like being friendly but an attack on reading and thinking deserves to be called out for the pretentious nastiness it obviously is.

Ditto!! You always have to remember the world is full of egotistical trolls and there are many who hear what you have to offer. Don't let them side track you. That is all they are good for.

Get a life, a mind, a passion for ideas. Is it more pity or disgust I feel? Who with half a testicle wastes their free time on a philosophy forum condemning the pursuit of knowledge? "Look at me! Over here! I'm educated!" As if we are going to prove ourselves that way...repeating little mantras, still looking to other human beings as authorities. Get off your knees! And stop forcing your idolatrous grime on others.

Feel better now? No, of course you don't as we all have our "steaming" points. Don't give them the satisfaction and attention they are looking for and just know there are other who do "hear you".

Sure, I mention the philosophers who have inspired me because I love them, and I love their phrases. But it's not about the g.d. person. It's about the ideas. The person is the background of the ideas and part of the reality the ideas treat of/are. Life before text. Text before criticism. Truth before trinkets.

Think about it my friend, if all men were those god men, we would not need this forum................would we?

Soul Brother;166024 wrote:
Ken, you could not be any more wrong. When I was young at school I learned the usual 2+2 robot like left brain thinking. A while after I left school I began self teaching, not just reading books but thinking, after three months of self teaching I could no longer have conversations with ordinary people, I had learned more in three months of self teaching than I had in my entire schooling, and in three months I had learned more about life than people who were retiring. How could these educated people not have learned more about life in 50 odd years than I had learned in three months?

Hello soul brother and what you call "self teaching" is the mind forgetting what was crammed into it, ha! What you have experience is serendipitous/coincidental nuances that you just gravitated toward. Few have the ability to do that,,,,,,,yet. They are the "slaves" among us.

Reconstructo;166225 wrote:
Thanks man! I only wish I wasn't coming from such an angry place when I wrote that line. I inspired other humans to hate me and show me contempt because in truth I hated them and showed them contempt. At the moment, I see how ugly and sad this situation is on both sides.

Yeah, a alligator/troll got ya'! Ha!

I may not have made an idol of others lately, but I do have a tendency to make an idol of myself. I think Satan (think John Milton, Byron, etc.) is a great symbol for this. I suppose this Satanic self-idolatry is more respectable in its way than the idolatry of other human beings, but it's still a good way to cut one's "self" down from its potential inclusion of all reality. In Dante's Inferno, down becomes up right as Dante and Virgil pass Lucifer who is frozen in sh*t. Now that's symbolism! Nevermind the ingenious use of the narrowing spiral.

Recon, there are many, included myself who have never read any of Milton's or Alighieri's works and speaking for myself I have observed smidgens only but enough to know what their thought's depicted in real life. As you noted earlier in this quote "It's about the ideas. The person is the background of the ideas and part of the reality the ideas treat of/are. Life before text. Text before criticism. Truth before trinkets". They too and their thoughts is the background/past of others brought forward and most are too blind to notice it. For so many that could be a good thing for them. There is a lot of text, much criticism and entirely too many trinkets, ha!

To everyone I have talked down to, shown contempt to ----SORRY BROTHERS!!!

Let's all just admit we are sometimes *ssholes of the greatest magnitude, forgive one another and move on. This site has an enormous potential to enrich our lives. I know that dwelling on the high thoughts is what keeps me from getting caught up in the sad games we all as humans have a tendency to get caught up in.

Unfortunately I let myself get caught up in more than a few sad games in this very forum which ideally could offer me the cure or substitute for such games ---real friendship based on the shared appreciation of man's better thoughts --his better "angels" shall we say.

The limits of our language are the limits of our world are the limits of our selves. That's my story and I'm sticking to it, until I hear something better. Call me crazy, but I would like to have only love in my shirt when I log on here. When I have "stormed" off it was a frustration not only with others but also with those tendencies in myself to turn an opportunity for mutual enrichment into a place of violence no less cruel for its merely apparent bloodlessness. We are "spiritual" (read lingual/conceptual/passionate) beings and words sometimes pierce deeper than bullets --and the sad thing is that that is exactly what we sometimes enjoy about them. Oh, the cruelty of a poison tipped sentence. What the f*ck are we thinking? Some of us here have long known better. But I'm not one of those. But screw it! I'm going to give it a try. Some of you hate me, or at least the crust of me as shown on tv, and I can't blame you for that. I'm a nasty little b*tch sometimes. I've got to forgive you to forgive me and also the reverse. All this "you" and "me" distinction is practical but deceptive. We are linguistically and emotionally connected and interpenetrating. It's as obvious as the nose on our face. I know the sick thrill of setting myself above. And also the cruelty that is experienced and inspired by such treatment directed against myself. Enough is enough. Who wants to live like that? -->No, I haven't undergone some great conversion. This is just the better part of me trying to take the wheel from the worse part.

Peace!

Ha, you're just draining the pond. No need for an apology. The water gets shallower and less muddy as you go and one day you will find your feet on solid ground and will see crystal clear.

HexHammer;166235 wrote:
I feel many are too young to be here, often with the "know-it-all-attitude" ..thus selling half baked bread, which I find annoying.

So you are not an advocate of "out of the mouths of babes, huh"? An "adults only kind of guy"? Ha, many of those were eaten by alligators long ago.

HexHammer;166235 wrote:
Most others who have a formal philosophical education, often ends up in navel gazing philosophy, really lacking essential common sense. Imo my early crusade against "this and that is a truth, and that is a lie" paid off, making people realize truth is very subjective, same with "good and bad".

Most? Formal? Common Sense? Making people? Subjective sense? If you don't mind Hex, please elaborate a little more as to what you mean using those words. It will help me understand better.

HexHammer;166235 wrote:
I made a topic specifically to test peoples reaction toward emotionally based questions, many let their emotions get the better of them, and therefore are poor thinkers in very serious matters, as anger cloud their judgement.

Imo there's a few good thinkers, but none that really put me in awe.

Is that an "awesome" statement? Are you sure you truly know what "awe" means? Emotional? Do you think you know what that lacrimal drop of fluid truly represents or those "chill bumps" emitted by those follicle's located all over the largest organ in our body. I promise you they are a very good thing those things that indicate our chilling out.

If you only knew so much? Maybe the "ice man" will come again, let us hope we will be able to chill without that age repeating itself. Burrrrrr!

William

Zetherin

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 03:54 pm
@Soul Brother,
Soul Brother;166492 wrote:

What in the world is this forum turning into?! :whoa-dude:

Emil

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 04:28 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;167044 wrote:
What in the world is this forum turning into?! :whoa-dude:

Hi
Hi
ASL?

/(wsdjbasdja)

Reconstructo

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 04:48 pm
@platorepublic,
As far as my later more inclusive forgiving post I should mention that I'm not a sentimental type. It just felt almost like my duty to take the age old risk of saying something positive. It would have been easier for my towering vanity to have simply avoided the forum for a few days. I know human nature well enough to predict that kind words are usually despised as weakness --and it's the sorrow involved in seeing this continual human disaster that motivated me to at least try to use this big mouth of mine for something less selfish than usual.

A few nights ago someone brought a strange guest to a small party I was at, and this guest became paranoid after a few drinks and began to mistake kindness for mockery. It's a terrible thing when even the kind appear to one as enemies. Even tolerant reassurances (for this person became aggressive) did not prevail. It was pretty clear to me that this person lived much of their life like that.

There is an omnipresent pseudo-nonconformity all around us. The idea is that contempt for others is a sign of daring, "individuality." And yet all kids and all the adults are doing it, with a few exceptions who should probably be grateful that they are so. Many of us are readers, and the others are thinkers if they do not read. How nice for us to hang out, right? We could, if we consciously came here to show contempt for other human beings, make an out-group out of the unthinking. We could bond over our wonderful superiority to those whose "unconsidered lives are not worth living."
Instead, we are so eager to hand deliver our contempt for other human beings, we turn on another like insects, like baby praying mantises. Obviously this is forum is not exclusively made of that, or even an a-hole like myself would have been sickened and abandoned it, but there is still more than enough. We are each just one human in a species about 6 billion strong. And yet our fondness for certain abstractions (a good thing in itself) and our fondness for our personas (a mere surface) is more than enough "reason" to impose our ideological violence on one another. I don't think there is anything more blinding than a viscous "self "-satisfaction that one is done learning from other humans. And to turn disagreements into a hardening of one's prejudices just does not seem like the way to go. Are we here only to air our truths/prejudices/contempt? Obviously I don't want to fall into that trap in another more sinister way. So I mention again and again my own tendency to do this same ultimately unreasonable dance on the personalities of others. "You're an idiot! When you really understand, blah blah blah. Oh, you obviously know nothing.... These poor fools..."
A person can join a conversation with politeness and respect for others in their heart and not just their sentences..and receive only condescension in return. Probably no one needs this forum, but many of us enjoy it. And I could just play the cool guy who "doesn't give a f*ck about nuttin" but I'm paying a little dues. Please don't mistake me for someone who cries in my hands, which is not to say there's something wrong with that. I was just walking one night and realized I wasn't in my usual high spirits. Instead of thinking of beautiful things, I was wasting my life on anger. So I resolved to try another brand of emotional hygiene. So for anyone who hates religious terminology, that's a phrase in the modern jargon: emotional hygiene. To quote the great philosopher Martin :" can't we all just get alone"?

sometime sun

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 04:57 pm
@Reconstructo,
'Can't we all just get ALONE'
Excellent.

Arjuna

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 02:20 pm
@sometime sun,
Reconstructo is one of those people who are just plain awesome. Actually I think that often of people on this forum: you're so cool, goes through my mind. There are some who I think despise me to the extent they think about it at all. I think they're cool too. A tiny kindness can mean galaxies more than the offerer may imagine. Life can be like five years in Siberia sometimes: buried alive. But then again: some exchange happens between people.. a tiny oasis... it means nothing. And I know it'll never leave me.

Reconstructo

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 02:36 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;167079 wrote:
To quote the great philosopher Martin :" can't we all just get alone"?

I meant to write "along." Freudian slip? Demonic resistance?:flowers:

---------- Post added 05-28-2010 at 03:37 PM ----------

Arjuna;170090 wrote:
Reconstructo is one of those people who are just plain awesome. Actually I think that often of people on this forum: you're so cool, goes through my mind. There are some who I think despise me to the extent they think about it at all. I think they're cool too. A tiny kindness can mean galaxies more than the offerer may imagine. Life can be like five years in Siberia sometimes: buried alive. But then again: some exchange happens between people.. a tiny oasis... it means nothing. And I know it'll never leave me.

Damn, thank you kindly! I just came back to this thread, and how nice that you have the courage to express this positivity. Well, I've always thought highly of you, Arjuna, and it's a pleasure for me to tell you so.:flowers::detective:

kennethamy

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 03:56 pm
@platorepublic,
No matter how kind you are, if you don't know what you are talking about, and if you cannot think your way out of a paper bag, it really does not matter. It is not a requirement that a person know much of anything, nor that he be able to think decently. But it is a requirement that a person not discuss things he know very little or anything about, and that he is unable to discuss with any modicum of logic. It is also somewhat shameful that a lot of people don't seem to realize this.

platorepublic

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 04:08 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;170126 wrote:
No matter how kind you are, if you don't know what you are talking about, and if you cannot think your way out of a paper bag, it really does not matter. It is not a requirement that a person know much of anything, nor that he be able to think decently. But it is a requirement that a person not discuss things he know very little or anything about, and that he is unable to discuss with any modicum of logic. It is also somewhat shameful that a lot of people don't seem to realize this.

"If you can't make it, just fake it."

You say don't fake it. Well, I say fake it as long as you know you are faking it.

Reconstructo

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 04:21 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;170126 wrote:

But you do realize that there is no official expert around to decide who's who? Or are you claiming that role for yourself? Are you the True One? Are you the Law Personified? If not, who? And whence this authority to declare other humans unqualified to talk foolosophy?

And where is the man who can give an exhaustive justification of himself? Shall he present us with signed scraps of paper? A shining happy face? Will he hypnotize us with rhetoric?

And what are the grounds of logic? That's what amuses me. We play with our little systems but don't even bother to "check under the hood." What is logic? You say it's the way we ought to think. And how was this determined? How do we know whether this logic of yours is the way we ought to think about the way we ought to think?

If you want undeniable authority, you might have to seek another field. Philosophy is talk, and talk is cheap. Mine and yours.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 04:26 pm
@platorepublic,
platorepublic;170132 wrote:
"If you can't make it, just fake it."

You say don't fake it. Well, I say fake it as long as you know you are faking it.

That's nice. No wonder.....well, never mind.

---------- Post added 05-28-2010 at 06:30 PM ----------

Reconstructo;170138 wrote:
But you do realize that there is no official expert around to decide who's who? Or are you claiming that role for yourself? Are you the True One? Are you the Law Personified? If not, who? And whence this authority to declare other humans unqualified to talk foolosophy?

And where is the man who can give an exhaustive justification of himself? Shall he present us with signed scraps of paper? A shining happy face? Will he hypnotize us with rhetoric?

And what are the grounds of logic? That's what amuses me. We play with our little systems but don't even bother to "check under the hood." What is logic? You say it's the way we ought to think. And how was this determined? How do we know whether this logic of yours is the way we ought to think about the way we ought to think?

If you want undeniable authority, you might have to seek another field. Philosophy is talk, and talk is cheap. Mine and yours.

Oh, cut it out with this what are the grounds of logic stuff. What difference does that make? Whatever that means. The point is that if a person cannot think his way out of paper bag it doesn't matter what the ground of logic may or may not be. The person cannot think his way out of a paper bag, and is, as was just said, "faking it". What is disconcerting, and, as I said before, shameful, is that people cannot discern that he is faking it. (Or maybe, even worse, don't care).

jeeprs

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 04:39 pm
@Arjuna,
Arjuna;170090 wrote:
There are some who I think despise me to the extent they think about it at all.

Never! You're a quality contributor.

Reconstructo

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 04:46 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;170141 wrote:

Oh, cut it out with this what are the grounds of logic stuff. What difference does that make?

Frankly, to me, if I were the sort to play Philosophy God, the above quote just might disqualify you from pretending to the task. Can you be serious?

But I am not trying to insult you. You are clearly an intelligent guy. Clearly. It's just that we all come in different flavors. To me, to play around with fallacies and not look to the foundation of logic itself is silly. If there isn't a "bottommost turtle," we should show there isn't. And if there is, we should find it. To me this is as obvious as 1 + 1 = 2. How can philosophy ignore its own nature, which is thought, and run around claiming authority on every other issue?

---------- Post added 05-28-2010 at 05:51 PM ----------

kennethamy;170141 wrote:
The point is that if a person cannot think his way out of paper bag it doesn't matter what the ground of logic may or may not be.

But like I said, who's to decide whether or not said person can think themselves out of a paper bag? I'm not denying that some members are greener than others. But that too is just an opinion. And certainly if we (all the members) were to rate one another, we would not award points in the same way. We are more emotional, in my opinion, than we like to admit. Yeats can talk about casting "a cold eye," but I remain skeptical. We all have our favored conceptions. And we form friendships, and these friendships encourage intellectual growth. The intellect is not a thing apart, not really. Not as I see it. Love and hate are significant to thought, very significant.

---------- Post added 05-28-2010 at 05:52 PM ----------

kennethamy;170141 wrote:
What is disconcerting, and, as I said before, shameful, is that people cannot discern that he is faking it. (Or maybe, even worse, don't care).

I interpret his "faking" it comment as a playful form of modesty. And perhaps we are more likely to fake it when we deny the possibility that we are faking it.
But to be fair, let's assume that a person really is faking it. That they pretend to have read something that they have never even picked up. Ok, that's not ideal behavior. But assuming we personally think we have discovered this, what then? There is no way to prove anything on an informal forum. This just isn't a place of rigid hierarchy. And if it became so, it might become a bore. Because parties tend to ossify. And wouldn't the Boss Man at the top of the pyramid impose his singular vision of philosophy on the rest?

I think philosophy is largely about questioning, discovery. It's even anti-hierarchical in its very nature, one might argue.

Twirlip

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 05:16 pm
@Reconstructo,
Hello? Hello? Is there anybody there? It's awfully dark in here. The walls are sort of papery, and soft. There are crumbs everywhere. Where am I?

kennethamy

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 06:36 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;170150 wrote:

---------- Post added 05-28-2010 at 05:51 PM ----------

But like I said, who's to decide whether or not said person can think themselves out of a paper bag?

No one decides it. Just as no one decides whether water is H20. The belief that facts are something decided by people is just nonsense, and someone who holds that view is someone that believes in nonsense. It is simply obvious that someone cannot think, and does not even care that he cannot think. Of course, he will may realize that sooner of later. Reality bites. Of course, it does not help that there are others who encourage him not to think, and, indeed, thank him for it. But then, they probably have the same problem. Since it is impossible to philosophize without having some talent for thinking, it is difficult to understand what such people are doing on a philosophy forum, or even why they want to be on it.

jeeprs

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 07:16 pm
@platorepublic,
speaking for myself, I have learned quite a lot here about what constitutes a philosophical argument, and what does not. Of course it is a grey area in many respects because the nature of the subject does not lend itself to cut-and-dried definitions and boundaries. But there are boundaries, which are set by convention and tradition. The tradition is now very multi-faceted, with divisions between the larger schools or outlooks (e.g. continental vs anglo-american) and then, of course, many divisions with the larger schools themselves. But I would hope to be able to situate myself within the broader subject matter so that even if my arguments are idiosyncratic, which I am sure they often are, they can be supported with reference to a published source or recognizable current debate. I also recognise in my own case that my general orientation is small-t theosophical rather than purely philosophical as such and am attempting to confine myself to those debates where such a perspective is relevant and useful.

reasoning logic

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 07:20 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;170182 wrote:
No one decides it. Just as no one decides whether water is H20. The belief that facts are something decided by people is just nonsense, and someone who holds that view is someone that believes in nonsense. It is simply obvious that someone cannot think, and does not even care that he cannot think. Of course, he will may realize that sooner of later. Reality bites. Of course, it does not help that there are others who encourage him not to think, and, indeed, thank him for it. But then, they probably have the same problem. Since it is impossible to philosophize without having some talent for thinking, it is difficult to understand what such people are doing on a philosophy forum, or even why they want to be on it.

That is a very good point of view Kennethamy!
I never thought of it like that before. Do you bieleve that the first person who defined H20 did not think of what it should be named at first? I would have thought, that they would have thought of it just as many of us when we make up a username on this forum. I have been wrong many times before. I guess that is why I am the least among you great thinkers.Smile

kennethamy

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 07:29 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;170190 wrote:
speaking for myself, I have learned quite a lot here about what constitutes a philosophical argument, and what does not. Of course it is a grey area in many respects because the nature of the subject does not lend itself to cut-and-dried definitions and boundaries. But there are boundaries, which are set by convention and tradition. The tradition is now very multi-faceted, with divisions between the larger schools or outlooks (e.g. continental vs anglo-american) and then, of course, many divisions with the larger schools themselves. But I would hope to be able to situate myself within the broader subject matter so that even if my arguments are idiosyncratic, which I am sure they often are, they can be supported with reference to a published source or recognizable current debate. I also recognise in my own case that my general orientation is small-t theosophical rather than purely philosophical as such and am attempting to confine myself to those debates where such a perspective is relevant and useful.

What sort of things are in that grey area? Are they neither philosophical arguments nor non-philosophical arguments? Or are they both philosophical and non-philosophical arguments? It just seems to me that something is either an argument or it is not and argument. Philosophical arguments are no more a special kind of argument than chemical arguments are a special kind of argument. The first deals with philosophy; the second with chemistry. And, an argument is, as you would expect, an argument.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 02:58:43