Does knowledge imply wisdom?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

sometime sun

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 04:26 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;165033 wrote:
How about just, knowledge does not imply wisdom, but wisdom does imply knowledge? (Let's just drop the "necessarily").

What ever you say.

But in the defence of the 'necessarily' sometimes knowledge may be able to imply wisdom?
At least a form of wisdom or rout toward it.

mark noble

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 06:19 pm
@Fido,
Fido;162454 wrote:
All I know is I don't know... The condensed version of Socrates...

Hi Fido,

Nice to meet you.

"All I know is, I don't know". I absolutely agree, but, how do I know that I don't know, if I can't know for sure that I know anything, for sure?

Is not "One man's wisdom, another man's folly"?

Thank you Fido, and journey well.

Mark...

sometime sun

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 06:42 pm
@mark noble,
Everything I know means everything I don't know?

kennethamy

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 09:07 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;165035 wrote:
What ever you say.

But in the defence of the 'necessarily' sometimes knowledge may be able to imply wisdom?

If P does not imply Q, P cannot sometimes imply Q. Either P implies Q or it does not. Just because sometimes P is true, and Q is also true does not mean that P ever implies Q. P cannot sometimes imply Q, and sometimes not imply Q. "Imply" does not work that way.

Being a dog does not imply being a brown animal: so even if some dogs also happen to be brown animals, it is still true that being a dog does not imply being a brown animal. Similarly, even if some knowledge happens also to be wisdom that does not mean that knowledge ever implies wisdom. So, there is no defense of knowledge implying wisdom.

Therefore, to say that P does not necessarily imply Q, simply means that P does not imply Q. Period.

Fido

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 09:34 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;165035 wrote:
What ever you say.

What ever you say??? Now, there is the original settlement of any philosophical argument... I heard a good joke like that once...Maybe i should repeat it for the new ones..

---------- Post added 05-16-2010 at 11:42 PM ----------

kennethamy;165124 wrote:
If P does not imply Q, P cannot sometimes imply Q. Either P implies Q or it does not. Just because sometimes P is true, and Q is also true does not mean that P ever implies Q. P cannot sometimes imply Q, and sometimes not imply Q. "Imply" does not work that way.

Being a dog does not imply being a brown animal: so even if some dogs also happen to be brown animals, it is still true that being a dog does not imply being a brown animal. Similarly, even if some knowledge happens also to be wisdom that does not mean that knowledge ever implies wisdom. So, there is no defense of knowledge implying wisdom.

Therefore, to say that P does not necessarily imply Q, simply means that P does not imply Q. Period.

There is a connection between wisdom and knowledge, though it seems like a variable ratio... No one can be very wise without much knowledge, but wisdom as a quality is distinct from knowledge in the sense that great knowledge does not give people greater knowledge, where understanding, which is the quality we most think of as wisdom, multiplies knowledge...If for everything you learned you had the ability to draw more and more conclusion, and at the same time not over reach your actual knowledge, then many would consider that to be wisdom...People are considered wise in relation to what they know... Since my education is slight, it is easy to appear wise, yet one well educated is expected to by wise and may not seem so... Does that make sense???

---------- Post added 05-17-2010 at 12:14 AM ----------

mark noble;165074 wrote:
Hi Fido,

Nice to meet you.

"All I know is, I don't know". I absolutely agree, but, how do I know that I don't know, if I can't know for sure that I know anything, for sure?

Is not "One man's wisdom, another man's folly"?

Thank you Fido, and journey well.

Mark...

Wisdom is knowing the limits of one's knowledge... No one knows nothing... Much, perhaps most of our essential knowledge is encoded in our genes and onco genes... But of what we learn, we must always be suspect... It is always better to feign ignorance than to lose ones head for knowing too much...Worse are the disasters of pretending to knowledge one does not have, and people live their lives on faith, and what is that but a tower of certainty built without foundation...

mark noble

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 05:50 am
@Fido,
Fido;165137 wrote:

Wisdom is knowing the limits of one's knowledge... No one knows nothing... Much, perhaps most of our essential knowledge is encoded in our genes and onco genes... But of what we learn, we must always be suspect... It is always better to feign ignorance than to lose ones head for knowing too much...Worse are the disasters of pretending to knowledge one does not have, and people live their lives on faith, and what is that but a tower of certainty built without foundation...

Hi Fido,

Proverbs - First gain knowledge, then wisdom, then understanding. Knowledge is the foundation of wisdom, and wisdom - understanding. Do you agree?

Thank you Fido, and prosper splendidly.

Mark...

HexHammer

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 05:56 am
@Diogenes phil,
Diogenes;162290 wrote:
If I know how to tie a tie, what does that mean? That I simply know the act of tying two pieces of cloth together? Is there some inherent meaning in knowing something? What happens after knowing?
I see many with excat same education have immens different skills in same profession, it comes to their understanding of knowledge which is very different.

Ie mechanics, some are just greedy, some are serious and relyable, some seek to update their knowledge some are just indifferent.

Fido

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 09:07 am
@mark noble,
mark noble;165250 wrote:
Hi Fido,

Proverbs - First gain knowledge, then wisdom, then understanding. Knowledge is the foundation of wisdom, and wisdom - understanding. Do you agree?

Thank you Fido, and prosper splendidly.

Mark...

I can look at some one like Abraham Lincoln who showed evidennce of understanding, which was wisdom long before he became educated in any sense of the word, and since he was mostly autodidactic, he must have possessed some sense of the value of education without having education, so the line between understanding and wisdom is no line at all, but without much knowledge it is difficult to be very wise... All wise conclusion rest on a certain body of knowledge, and yet all understanding, as wisdom, employs whatever knowledge is possessed to the utmost...You cannot teach genius, but genius can be nurtured...Knowledge nurtures understanding and wisdom...You cannot teach insight, but knowledge nurtures insight...You can give people knowledge but the love of it cannot be taught...

As an Islamic philosopher said: trying to educate a worthless person is like throwing pebbles at a dome....Yet our whole society, once geared to hereditary political power, now clings to hereditary wealth which tries for the sake of wealth and power to educate the worthless... Since they cannot do this impossible thing, they deny the poor a decent education so that the poor cannot excel to their proper place...It does not work because luxury starves youth of understanding as much as poverty feeds resentment...Neither lack of understanding nor resentment are signs of a healthy society...

mark noble

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 09:57 am
@Fido,
Fido;165307 wrote:
I can look at some one like Abraham Lincoln who showed evidennce of understanding, which was wisdom long before he became educated in any sense of the word, and since he was mostly autodidactic, he must have possessed some sense of the value of education without having education, so the line between understanding and wisdom is no line at all, but without much knowledge it is difficult to be very wise... All wise conclusion rest on a certain body of knowledge, and yet all understanding, as wisdom, employs whatever knowledge is possessed to the utmost...You cannot teach genius, but genius can be nurtured...Knowledge nurtures understanding and wisdom...You cannot teach insight, but knowledge nurtures insight...You can give people knowledge but the love of it cannot be taught...

As an Islamic philosopher said: trying to educate a worthless person is like throwing pebbles at a dome....Yet our whole society, once geared to hereditary political power, now clings to hereditary wealth which tries for the sake of wealth and power to educate the worthless... Since they cannot do this impossible thing, they deny the poor a decent education so that the poor cannot excel to their proper place...It does not work because luxury starves youth of understanding as much as poverty feeds resentment...Neither lack of understanding nor resentment are signs of a healthy society...

Hi Fido,

Well said, Sir! I understand.

Thank you, and be merry.

Mark...

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 08:32:23