Crack-pottery: The Bane of the Serious Thinker

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Crack-pottery: The Bane of the Serious Thinker

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 04:46 pm
I've noticed quite a bit of it popping up in the Philosophy of Science forums, and none of it is even remotely reminiscent of anything in the subject of Philosophy of Science; it is all nonsense and idle speculation. If we are to carry out this sort of idle speculation we should have a pseudoscience and speculation section.

I've noticed an immense wave of new age/ fringe science/ crack-pottery in that segment of the site. I think that we need to crack down on it because it detracts from legitimate lines of inquiry. Questions of physics should be asked in an area devoted to speculative physics or metaphysics, not an area that declares itself devoted to a subject that would normally feature the debate over whether or not Khun has strong points on this or that or Popper might be wrong on point x, y or z.

Does anyone else feel frustrated by this flood of nonsense?

Jebediah

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 05:15 pm
@Zetetic11235,
Yes, I've noticed that too. The "is the heart the seat of consciousness" thread for example. So obviously bogus, and not at all related to the philosophy of science.

jgweed

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 07:13 pm
@Zetetic11235,
If you feel a post or thread does not belong in a particular forum, and can state your reasons in a more or less lucid fashion, please help the staff keep the forums "tidy" by reporting it. The staff will certainly review the post or thread in question and if clearly warranted, will move it to a more appropriate forum.
Members can also help direct the dialogue into more pertinent areas as they participate in the thread.

Theaetetus

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 07:53 pm
@Zetetic11235,
Thanks for pointing out the problem Zetetic. I have gone through the first page of the forum and moved threads to a more appropriate place out of the phil of science forum. I used to have more time to keep the subforums a bit more tidy, but I have had to focus more on day to day things in the forum administration.

Reconstructo

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 04:23 pm
@Zetetic11235,
Zetetic11235;161407 wrote:
I've noticed quite a bit of it popping up in the Philosophy of Science forums, and none of it is even remotely reminiscent of anything in the subject of Philosophy of Science; it is all nonsense and idle speculation. If we are to carry out this sort of idle speculation we should have a pseudoscience and speculation section.

I've noticed an immense wave of new age/ fringe science/ crack-pottery in that segment of the site. I think that we need to crack down on it because it detracts from legitimate lines of inquiry. Questions of physics should be asked in an area devoted to speculative physics or metaphysics, not an area that declares itself devoted to a subject that would normally feature the debate over whether or not Khun has strong points on this or that or Popper might be wrong on point x, y or z.

Does anyone else feel frustrated by this flood of nonsense?

I understand your point. Perhaps a workable solution would be to make Kuhn or Popper the theme of particular threads. This avoids censorship, and still imposes, in theory, a certain "entry fee" of having read some Kuhn or Popper, for instance. If a forum law of "keeping to thread topic" was imposed, this would eliminate some of what annoys you, would it not? Still, one would have to wrestle with those who have only read the back of a book, or those who do not understand what they have indeed read. This takes us back to the realm of taste and opinion.

I suspect a physics forum would offer a higher level of philosophy of science, but that's just a guess.

I just noticed you live in my state. Always good to see a neighbor around the forum. Smile

Theaetetus

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 04:39 pm
@Zetetic11235,
Ultimately, I think there will always be issues with the philosophy of science subforum absent a science forum worked into this forum (much like with religion). Then we can add a science fiction/speculation subforum to send all of these threads to when appropriate.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 09:27 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus;161865 wrote:
Ultimately, I think there will always be issues with the philosophy of science subforum absent a science forum worked into this forum (much like with religion). Then we can add a science fiction/speculation subforum to send all of these threads to when appropriate.

If science fiction, then why not magic and necromancy? How about having philosophy forum? Is that such a bizarre notion?

platorepublic

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 10:55 pm
@Zetetic11235,
I don't know if it's alright, but can you not just ignore them? I find it funny that you find frustration for yourself.

Zetetic11235

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 03:39 am
@platorepublic,
platorepublic;161995 wrote:
I don't know if it's alright, but can you not just ignore them? I find it funny that you find frustration for yourself.

I think that it is better to expose falsehood than leave it be. Maybe I'm wrong in that preference.

Deckard

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 04:50 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;161859 wrote:
I understand your point. Perhaps a workable solution would be to make Kuhn or Popper the theme of particular threads. This avoids censorship, and still imposes, in theory, a certain "entry fee" of having read some Kuhn or Popper, for instance. If a forum law of "keeping to thread topic" was imposed, this would eliminate some of what annoys you, would it not? Still, one would have to wrestle with those who have only read the back of a book, or those who do not understand what they have indeed read. This takes us back to the realm of taste and opinion.

This is such a good point. It is surprising how much charging that entry fee helps to raise the level of discourse. Even if a would-be participant hasn't read the cited philosopher s/he still will at least feel the obligation to check out wikipedia before joining in. Initially this limits the conversation to a particular discursive field but that initial limit is really harmless all things considered. We are philosophers...that means we read books! Almost every topic can be accompanied by some very relevant reference to a published scholar. I say this even though I have some anarchistic tendencies toward denying the authority of academia. Referencing a few published authors will discourage the resolute dilettantes and at the same time encourage those who are unfamiliar with a particular book (and this group often includes myself) to at least make that obligatory trip to google.

xris

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 05:09 am
@Zetetic11235,
Zetetic11235;162093 wrote:
I think that it is better to expose falsehood than leave it be. Maybe I'm wrong in that preference.
And are you going to be the arbiter of the truth? I never look at the heading of a thread before I comment, should it be science or general forum my response will be the same. I find those who try to impose unfounded theories even if scientifically proposed, crack pot, when given as if they were facts.

Zetetic11235

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 01:21 am
@xris,
xris;162114 wrote:
And are you going to be the arbiter of the truth?

Not at all, I was hoping we could have some basic standards of intellectual rigor that could be generally mutually agreed upon by most somewhat reputable members. For instance, in scientific threads, the requirement of being able to produce at least 2 papers published by researchers in the area you are making claims about if you actually make a truth claim (that is, if you want to claim that you are doing anything more than raw speculation).

Or, if you start a subject about a well researched area of philosophy, the requirement that you put in one or two links that could summarize your position; such as might be found in the online Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. Although; if you don't have anything very specific to say about a well known problem in full academic rigor, then this shouldn't be a requirement.

xris;162114 wrote:
I never look at the heading of a thread before I comment, should it be science or general forum my response will be the same.

Wait, do you mean you have an automatic introductory response to every thread? Why do you do this? How does that aid you?

xris;162114 wrote:
I find those who try to impose unfounded theories even if scientifically proposed, crack pot, when given as if they were facts.

That is the general notion of crackpot as I understand it. For instance; the colloidal silver people who try to push their dangerous products with pseudo-scientific rhetoric. If someone claims that their theory is well founded and well tested; then they should be able to support such a claim with some manner of evidence tantamount to something like a few articles published in a well respected journal on the relevant topic, even if only the abstracts are available for general viewing (which is often the case). They have to be able to lend some degree of credibility to the claims they make.

---------- Post added 05-10-2010 at 03:27 AM ----------

Reconstructo;161859 wrote:

I suspect a physics forum would offer a higher level of philosophy of science, but that's just a guess.

I just noticed you live in my state. Always good to see a neighbor around the forum. Smile

Most physics forums offer no level of philosophy of science, unfortunately. Also, I do like the law of "keeping with the topic", but I had thought there already was one instated here. As I have indicated above; I am looking specifically for standards of rigor when a specific topic is being talked about. When we are simply discussing, pondering, shooting the breeze this isn't necessary, however; when truth claims are made they have to be defended. That should be the dividing line.

Yes, it's good to see neighbors:).

xris

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 02:55 am
@Zetetic11235,
Zetetic11235;162320 wrote:
Not at all, I was hoping we could have some basic standards of intellectual rigor that could be generally mutually agreed upon by most somewhat reputable members. For instance, in scientific threads, the requirement of being able to produce at least 2 papers published by researchers in the area you are making claims about if you actually make a truth claim (that is, if you want to claim that you are doing anything more than raw speculation).

Or, if you start a subject about a well researched area of philosophy, the requirement that you put in one or two links that could summarize your position; such as might be found in the online Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. Although; if you don't have anything very specific to say about a well known problem in full academic rigor, then this shouldn't be a requirement.

Wait, do you mean you have an automatic introductory response to every thread? Why do you do this? How does that aid you?

That is the general notion of crackpot as I understand it. For instance; the colloidal silver people who try to push their dangerous products with pseudo-scientific rhetoric. If someone claims that their theory is well founded and well tested; then they should be able to support such a claim with some manner of evidence tantamount to something like a few articles published in a well respected journal on the relevant topic, even if only the abstracts are available for general viewing (which is often the case). They have to be able to lend some degree of credibility to the claims they make.

---------- Post added 05-10-2010 at 03:27 AM ----------

Most physics forums offer no level of philosophy of science, unfortunately. Also, I do like the law of "keeping with the topic", but I had thought there already was one instated here. As I have indicated above; I am looking specifically for standards of rigor when a specific topic is being talked about. When we are simply discussing, pondering, shooting the breeze this isn't necessary, however; when truth claims are made they have to be defended. That should be the dividing line.

Yes, it's good to see neighbors:).
I am wondering if you consider this a forum for only educated philosophers? or you require a certain degree of expertise before one can reply? A thread on a scientific subject requires two scientific papers before it can be posted:perplexed: are you serious?

I don't make an automatic response to every thread, did I say that?

I can recall you giving links to scientific papers as if it proved something. In themselves they prove nothing, if those papers are in themselves speculative. You might believe they have credibility but your view is not paramount. The scientific community makes that decision. All we can do is make our own valued judgement. I can agree certain threads are placed in the wrong category at times but is that a crime or just an error.

Theaetetus

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 08:12 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;161951 wrote:
If science fiction, then why not magic and necromancy? How about having philosophy forum? Is that such a bizarre notion?

Those philosophy only forums exist on the internet already, maybe you should go find one since that is such a great concern of yours. This forum was never a philosophy only forum and it never will be. It does need better organization to be effective, but that is a different topic, but one related to this thread.

Zetetic11235;162320 wrote:

The definition that this forum generally holds for philosophy is one that involves dialectical discourse and looking at things from various perspectives. Sure, there is room for academic rigor since that is a real perspective, but that is not a necessary requirement to be either a philosopher or member of the forum. Ultimately, it is up to individual members to determine how much academic rigor is to be used in a thread, and how on-topic the discussion remains. Not all topics are going to stay on-topic, nor should they necessarily. This forum is ultimately provided for both the academic and armchair philosopher. Thus, some discussions are not going to be up to various members' standard, but that is just the nature of the beast.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Crack-pottery: The Bane of the Serious Thinker
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 11:49:01