Let's make a philosophy blog/website/online mag!

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Let's make a philosophy blog/website/online mag!

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 12:21 pm
Not really my idea. But some of the members on this forum have decided to extract the best of this forum and make it into something!

That something may be:

- an online magazine
- a print magazine
- a blog
- a website

I would love to drive this enthusiasm and believe that I have enough bravery and resources to make this happen.

Let's start brainstorming!

For a start, we need:

Regular Editors - to choose the material, edit the material, submit the material

Supplementary Editors - those who like to contribute in their own time

Artists - to make the website/magazine come alive

Legals - if we get into trouble

IT consultant - if we get big

Financial adviser - to finance this whole project

Cheerleaders - to cheer us all up!

Anything else? Who do you want to be?

Experimental website: Philosophy Mag

kennethamy

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 12:29 pm
@platorepublic,
platorepublic;160869 wrote:
Not really my idea. But some of the members on this forum have decided to extract the best of this forum and make it into something!

That something may be:

- an online magazine
- a print magazine
- a blog
- a website

I would love to drive this enthusiasm and believe that I have enough bravery and resources to make this happen.

Do you suppose all this will improve the posts on this forum? Or doesn't that matter?

sometime sun

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 01:00 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;160873 wrote:
Do you suppose all this will improve the posts on this forum? Or doesn't that matter?

Of course it will improve posts, if you want to be publised and part of the mag you had better up your game.

And on a side note, i am a little tried of people complaining that the posts here are not 'good' enough or that people here are not good enough, what is wrong with you? either aid them to be better or stop complaining.
I know lets wave a magic wand and make everyone as talented as you are.
Life would be pretty boring if we were all the same.
Quite frankly it is all about new partiscipation and getting new members interested and them not being afriad of judgements such 'not good enough', when for all we know it might not be just the person who had written something but the people who are reading it.
Be bloody grateful there are people here at all.

platorepublic

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 01:05 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;160873 wrote:

Is the aim of making a philosophy blog/website/online mag to make the posts on this forum "better"?

No.

The way I see it, is a much less serious entertainment for all of us.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 01:07 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;160882 wrote:
Of course it will improve posts, if you want to be publised and part of the mag you had better up your game.

Oh, never fear. I'll just go along dully posting, and trying to deal with philosophical issues like fatalism, and knowledge. I'll leave the "mag" (what happened to the "azine" bit?) to those who find philosophy too boring, and think this forum needs some diversion. I don't feel that way myself.

platorepublic

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 01:08 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;160889 wrote:
Oh, never fear. I'll just go along dully posting, and trying to deal with philosophical issues like fatalism, and knowledge. I'll leave the "mag" (what happened to the "azine" bit?) to those who find philosophy too boring.

GOOD. (I think someone should change the stupid 16-character rule by now!)

kennethamy

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 01:29 pm
@sometime sun,

And on a side note, i am a little tried of people complaining that the posts here are not 'good' enough or that people here are not good enough, what is wrong with you? either aid them to be better or stop complaining.
Quite frankly it is all about new partiscipation and getting new members interested and them not being afriad of judgements such 'not good enough', when for all we know it might not be just the person who had written something but the people who are reading it.

I didn't complain. I guess I think that people who make mistakes in philosophy (as anywhere else) can be helped by having their mistakes pointed out to them in a clear way, and even suggesting how to rectify those mistakes. I suppose, too, that suggestions like learning some logic are helpful, particularly when they are followed. If I can get people to realize, and act on the realization that although some basic understanding of logic is not a sufficient condition of decent philosophizing, but that it is certainly a necessary condition of decent philosophizing, I will consider that an important contribution to the success of this forum.

I do know that some quite talented former participants in this forum have been driven off (or nearly so) by what they consider the low quality of discussion on this forum. I, myself, do not agree. This forum is, after all, not dedicated to academic philosophy, and I think that although I understand what those people mean, they should lower their sights. But that cannot mean that we should actually encourage those with low or no standards in philosophy to mob this site. That would obviously be undesirable. It is, after all, not always (or even often) true that more is better. On the contrary. As Spinoza wrote, "All things excellent are as difficult as they are rare; else everyone could accomplish them".

sometime sun

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 01:35 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;160889 wrote:
Oh, never fear. I'll just go along dully posting, and trying to deal with philosophical issues like fatalism, and knowledge. I'll leave the "mag" (what happened to the "azine" bit?) to those who find philosophy too boring, and think this forum needs some diversion. I don't feel that way myself.

I did not call you dull,
This is a way to make a philosophy forum less boring and is not a diversion it is an inclusion and actually makes philosophy more current and more accessible and even exciting.
I was hoping you would have your own collumn 'the world according to kennethamy' or take the pick of the beat, you know you could.
Why are you so quick to dismiss things?
why am i trying to still reach you?
You've made it perfectly clear you cant be touched.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 01:46 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;160903 wrote:
I did not call you dull,
This is a way to make a philosophy forum less boring and is not a diversion it is an inclusion and actually makes philosophy more current and more accessible and even exciting.
I was hoping you would have your own collumn 'the world according to kennethamy' or take the pick of the beat, you know you could.
Why are you so quick to dismiss things?
why am i trying to still reach you?
You've made it perfectly clear you cant be touched.

As I said, I don't find the forum boring at all. (But I find philosophy interesting). And I think that if philosophy were more current it would shock me (sorry. I could not resist).

My family motto is: Nolle me tangere.

platorepublic

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 01:57 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;160909 wrote:
As I said, I don't find the forum boring at all. (But I find philosophy interesting). And I think that if philosophy were more current it would shock me (sorry. I could not resist).

What do you mean "if the philosophy were more current it would shock you"?

kennethamy

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 02:05 pm
@platorepublic,
platorepublic;160911 wrote:
What do you mean "if the philosophy were more current it would shock you"?

Sorry again. A wretched pun. An equally wretched vice of mine. "Stop me, before I pun again!!!".

sometime sun

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 02:07 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;160909 wrote:

I dont find it boring either but who says this might not make it better?
My family motto is YirBumSoothTheeWindea

platorepublic

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 03:24 am
@platorepublic,
Hi guys, I sacrifice my own website (that I haven't used in ages!) for an experiment:

- Philosophy Mag

Let's try a first preliminary post/magazine issue! What topic? On what thread? How about this one! It seems appropriate Smile

Doubt doubt

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 03:33 am
@sometime sun,

i agree. one thing i dont doubt is the ability of a retard to have a perspective that could unlock the nature of the world. but this will not happen without people to ponder even the most wild views.

Theaetetus

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 05:30 am
@platorepublic,
platorepublic;160869 wrote:

That something may be:

- an online magazine
- a print magazine
- a blog
- a website

For a start, we need:

Regular Editors - to choose the material, edit the material, submit the material

Supplementary Editors - those who like to contribute in their own time

Artists - to make the website/magazine come alive

Legals - if we get into trouble

IT consultant - if we get big

Financial adviser - to finance this whole project

Cheerleaders - to cheer us all up!

Anything else? Who do you want to be?

Experimental website: Philosophy Mag

As someone that has run a newspaper as an editor it chief, all of these things are nice, but without contributors, none of the other positions matter. I know my way around InDesign, but I don't have a clue with Dreamweaver--although I could figure it out.

I could actually get started on design work if people are actually interested in this. It may actually help me get back into a skill I rarely use anymore, but do not want to forget. A good way to get moving on this would be a prototype template.

platorepublic

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 06:28 am
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus;161184 wrote:
As someone that has run a newspaper as an editor it chief, all of these things are nice, but without contributors, none of the other positions matter. I know my way around InDesign, but I don't have a clue with Dreamweaver--although I could figure it out.

I could actually get started on design work if people are actually interested in this. It may actually help me get back into a skill I rarely use anymore, but do not want to forget. A good way to get moving on this would be a prototype template.

We are all contributors! All members are contributors to some extent! Smile

Let's get this moving!

platorepublic

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 09:19 am
@platorepublic,
Should we have a vote at which threads are worth writing about and rereading? Otherwise, I will decide myself.

sometime sun

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 12:25 pm
@platorepublic,
platorepublic;161252 wrote:
Should we have a vote at which threads are worth writing about and rereading? Otherwise, I will decide myself.

As long as it is unbiased which means you cannot pick your own thread.
Sure kick us off not sure how long i can play for though.

platorepublic

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 01:51 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;161294 wrote:
As long as it is unbiased which means you cannot pick your own thread.
Sure kick us off not sure how long i can play for though.

Please check out my latest blog entry and pick a thread. Cheers.

platorepublic

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 03:26 am
@platorepublic,
Clearly it's not as popular as I thought it may be. Since NOBODY wanted to contribute or could be bothered.

I will be generous and give this a month and see what happens, otherwise I think this is quite a nice project I'd like to do myself.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Let's make a philosophy blog/website/online mag!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 10/17/2024 at 08:48:20