Perfect Storm - Ecological Nightmare

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Perfect Storm - Ecological Nightmare

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

wayne

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 02:52 am
I am shocked and horrified by the events unfolding in the gulf.

I belong to a society dependent on oil for many different uses.
I like my lifestyle, I enjoy towing my boat to the lake, with my petroleum powered truck.

I am also a lover of the outdoors, nature, and the wide variety of life that makes our planet so wonderful.

The combination of events, politics, weather, bad luck, are forming what might be the perfect storm of environmental disaster.
The political timing included.

What are some thoughts on what is likely to happen here.
How much might this affect our near future?

jeeprs

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 03:46 am
@wayne,
I have just been watching a news broadcast. It seems a nightmare situation. It actually seems worse the Exxon Valdez because the flow can't be capped. I don't know about the politics of it, but the technics of closing that wellhead seem extraordinarily difficult. Plus all the people whose livelihoods are at stake, and the poor creatures who are going to be killed by it. I can't think of an upside. I do reflect that there was great jubilation at the finding of the Tupi oilfields off Brazil, which are said to be Arabian in magnitude. But they 6 kilometers down (2k ocean, 4 k crust). It is a salutary warning as to how dangerous this deepwater oil business is. Let's just hope the engineers can cap that flow.

Fido

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 05:41 am
@wayne,
wayne;158737 wrote:
I am shocked and horrified by the events unfolding in the gulf.

I belong to a society dependent on oil for many different uses.
I like my lifestyle, I enjoy towing my boat to the lake, with my petroleum powered truck.

I am also a lover of the outdoors, nature, and the wide variety of life that makes our planet so wonderful.

The combination of events, politics, weather, bad luck, are forming what might be the perfect storm of environmental disaster.
The political timing included.

What are some thoughts on what is likely to happen here.
How much might this affect our near future?

There are a lot of things wrong with off shore drilling... There is something wrong with putting national resources in private hands in the expectation of a public benefit on the basis of an unexamined ideology... Cheap and easy oil only hides the ultimate cost to society of fossil fuels... I can't wait for the cost of that nightmare in the gulf to be counted, but I will asure you that the people will bear that cost along with nature itself, because nothing can be allowed to interfere with profits...Look at Exxon Valdez... The courts cut the payout to pennies on the dollar to those injured...No enterprise not begun with justice in mind will end in justice...

jeeprs

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 06:29 am
@wayne,
yeah but society, as Wayne points out, is thoroughly hooked on oil. Not only for transport - plastics, pharmaceuticals, and a million other things are derived from oil.

Think about this - oil is liquid sunshine. It took billions of years for that energy to be stored and stowed away. We have burned half of it in a few generations. I researched peak oil theory last year and it is a seriously frightening subject.

Imagine a planet where they had all the same technical smarts as us, and everything else was equal, but they couldn't just whack a pipe into the ground and get energy out.

Would they have an industrial society?

wayne

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 06:39 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;158903 wrote:
yeah but society, as Wayne points out, is thoroughly hooked on oil. Not only for transport - plastics, pharmaceuticals, and a million other things are derived from oil.

Think about this - oil is liquid sunshine. It took billions of years for that energy to be stored and stowed away. We have burned half of it in a few generations. I researched peak oil theory last year and it is a seriously frightening subject.

Imagine a planet where they had all the same technical smarts as us, and everything else was equal, but they couldn't just whack a pipe into the ground and get energy out.

Would they have an industrial society?

What worries me most is that so many don't seem to realize this simple reality. I know I will be dead when it runs out , but what about my legacy? What are we leaving them besides a mess? What good is an inherited fortune without any resources?

jeeprs

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 08:57 am
@wayne,
Most people are not interested in anything that doesn't directly concern them. They will likely realise that this really does concern them when it clobbers them. And that day is not far off.

Actually this is one of the reasons for putting an environment price on carbon. It sends a direct signal to that part of themselves that concerns them the most - the wallet. And they are fighting it like hell.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Perfect Storm - Ecological Nightmare
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 02:32:50