The Old Single Life

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » The Old Single Life

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Fido

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 09:35 pm
The Life I led for a long time, too long to suit me, was as a single man, a handy man, and a male slut... I never said no; but it was not satisfying in any sense of the word... All I did was share intimacy with people who would have been better served spending the night alone than with the wrong guy... And I was the wrong guy, except that I never said no...

Twenty five years later with my marriage down the tubes I went to the bar, and tossed some darts as I never had done alone since I met my wife... There was a guy who no shet, looked like Quasi Modo in the face sitting at the end of the bar with a scrawny old hen of a woman whose voice sounded like a mile of gravel road... Quasi was chatting up Mrs. gravel voice, and trying to pick her up though she was ten years older, and I could not imagine either of them thinking they had scored well in the morning...And I was thinking, I will suck up enough cigarette smoke in here to ruin my run tomorrow in the time it takes me to finish this draft... And I was also thinking: Where does one go to meet women when you don't really want a relationship because you can't get over the last one or stand to be in it any more...

I am old, alone, and I'm screwed... So here is the question I have... Should a guy carry a cyanide capsule in case he wakes up with Mrs. Gravel voice after going to the bar??? Would anyone notice that you had chewed your own arm off rather than wake her by trying to get it off from under her head??? What am I going to do when I can't stand my wife and know I can't do any better??? Do I have to have a wife, or can I just say I am incapable of adult relationships with women???... It is hard to think of philosophy when the most essential elements of life escape me...

wayne

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 09:42 pm
@Fido,
Fido;158654 wrote:
The Life I led for a long time, too long to suit me, was as a single man, a handy man, and a male slut... I never said no; but it was not satisfying in any sense of the word... All I did was share intimacy with people who would have been better served spending the night alone than with the wrong guy... And I was the wrong guy, except that I never said no...

Twenty five years later with my marriage down the tubes I went to the bar, and tossed some darts as I never had done alone since I met my wife... There was a guy who no shet, looked like Quasi Modo in the face sitting at the end of the bar with a scrawny old hen of a woman whose voice sounded like a mile of gravel road... Quasi was chatting up Mrs. gravel voice, and trying to pick her up though she was ten years older, and I could not imagine either of them thinking they had scored well in the morning...And I was thinking, I will suck up enough cigarette smoke in here to ruin my run tomorrow in the time it takes me to finish this draft... And I was also thinking: Where does one go to meet women when you don't really want a relationship because you can't get over the last one or stand to be in it any more...

I am old, alone, and I'm screwed... So here is the question I have... Should a guy carry a cyanide capsule in case he wakes up with Mrs. Gravel voice after going to the bar??? Would anyone notice that you had chewed your own arm off rather than wake her by trying to get it off from under her head??? What am I going to do when I can't stand my wife and know I can't do any better??? Do I have to have a wife, or can I just say I am incapable of adult relationships with women???... It is hard to think of philosophy when the most essential elements of life escape me...

Sometimes we gotta just admit to ourselves, that we're just not very good at playing the piano and maybe we should quit buying new ones, hoping that will help make us better. :brickwall: Smile

Dosed

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 10:48 pm
@Fido,
why is it unsatisfying? who says you have to be with one woman forever and ever? who says that's healthy? who says it's good? it's a cultural perspective that's gettin ya down, man.

Fido

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 04:41 am
@wayne,
wayne;158659 wrote:
Sometimes we gotta just admit to ourselves, that we're just not very good at playing the piano and maybe we should quit buying new ones, hoping that will help make us better. :brickwall: Smile

That man is a fool who thinks that his wife loves no body else but him;
She's stick by you all of your life, but the chances are mighty slim...

From a Rye Cooder cover of something

---------- Post added 05-01-2010 at 06:50 AM ----------

Dosed.;158672 wrote:
why is it unsatisfying? who says you have to be with one woman forever and ever? who says that's healthy? who says it's good? it's a cultural perspective that's gettin ya down, man.

What's got me down is that I love my wife who at times is lovable, with a lot of amazing qualities including a strong will, but who is often demanding, irresponsible, without foresight, and unable to admit responsibility for past mistakes...In many respects she seems to think she did everything right, and I did everything wrong, and that the wrong I did was out of malice...

The thing is that I don't want to be some old lonely sour puss, and I don't want to have to go to the bar or church for companionship, and that may be all I have in those three choices... There is not choice like no choice...

Dosed

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 06:43 am
@Fido,
So you've hit a snag in your relationship, it happens. And if you're both unhappy and willing to muster a care for repairing things, why not move on? No reason to stay in an unfortunate situation.

Fido

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 06:49 am
@Dosed,
Dosed.;158912 wrote:
So you've hit a snag in your relationship, it happens. And if you're both unhappy and willing to muster a care for repairing things, why not move on? No reason to stay in an unfortunate situation.

I am certain that is the way she feels... I just don't give up any better than I learn... Thanks

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 07:07 am
@Fido,
Fido;158919 wrote:
I am certain that is the way she feels... I just don't give up any better than I learn... Thanks

I Sure hope that you are able to work things out for the best. How long have you 2 been together?
I seem to have alot of experience in this field but I can assure you that I do not have all the right or wrong answers but I can give you my opinion if you interested.Smile

Fido

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 09:34 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic;158932 wrote:
I Sure hope that you are able to work things out for the best. How long have you 2 been together?
I seem to have alot of experience in this field but I can assure you that I do not have all the right or wrong answers but I can give you my opinion if you interested.Smile

My wife, my second wife and I were together close to twenty five years... I don't know about advice... Seems like I have to learn to accept and move on...I thought I would be a better husband than I was...A lot of things from my childhood kept me from being better... I wouldn't settle for the old relationship back either, and that was not what i was offering her...But she still wants to think of me as I was, and not think of me as I am....What we both feel is that our last child, who is a problem, has ADD, is a problem we are each facing alone...Our last breach came out of me asking her for some emotional support when she is the one in charge, and she is getting financial support from me...No... Just buck up... Well, I think I am going to be stuck with this child till I grow old and die... I think my wife would welcome losing the both of us...But, I will not abandon my child unless there is no hope whatever...I have to quit handing my wife extra money out of guilt about all I have done wrong, and start saving again for my children's future...

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 02:53 pm
@Fido,
Fido;158968 wrote:
My wife, my second wife and I were together close to twenty five years... I don't know about advice... Seems like I have to learn to accept and move on...I thought I would be a better husband than I was...A lot of things from my childhood kept me from being better... I wouldn't settle for the old relationship back either, and that was not what i was offering her...But she still wants to think of me as I was, and not think of me as I am....What we both feel is that our last child, who is a problem, has ADD, is a problem we are each facing alone...Our last breach came out of me asking her for some emotional support when she is the one in charge, and she is getting financial support from me...No... Just buck up... Well, I think I am going to be stuck with this child till I grow old and die... I think my wife would welcome losing the both of us...But, I will not abandon my child unless there is no hope whatever...I have to quit handing my wife extra money out of guilt about all I have done wrong, and start saving again for my children's future...

OK it seems as you two are no longer together but you both share something incomon, Your child!
Do you still love your ex and is she willing to take you back under certain conditions? I do see that you do not want the same old thing but what if it were to be different? Would you forgive her and take her back if you knew that she loved you and would do any thing to have you back in her life?
Are you willing to take her back under certain conditions? Is your relationship past this point? and if you say that this is fact, are you sure that this is a fact or is this only your opinion?:detective:

Khethil

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 03:37 pm
@Fido,
Fido;158654 wrote:
...What am I going to do when I can't stand my wife and know I can't do any better??? Do I have to have a wife, or can I just say I am incapable of adult relationships with women???...

If you can't stand someone you're with, you probably need a change. But my experience shows me that what I *think* needs to be changed, often isn't *what* needs to be changed. I think it an obvious part of our nature that we reach for what we think will give us relief, whether or not is truly the case. Thus, careful thought is warranted; and where a long-term relationship is involved, lots and lots of careful thought.

Everything is a bang-for-buck proposition: Is what I expend worth what I get? The time, effort, forbearance, annoyance and energy -vs- whatever sense of companionship I gain; each of these to be considered on many levels.

When you consider this, it's probably a good idea to forsee yourself living alone rather than finding someone else, which is just as likely to happen as not (and a great many people live just fine alone). How does your day progress? Is there loneliness? Does it feel bland and untethered or "new" and adventurous to be alone. For some married couples, simply having that person there - with the implied choice that you could go to another room, go out, take another job or otherwise escape their immediate presence if you so feel - is worth putting up with quite a bit. Once you sever that thread, your choice becomes a non-choice (or likely does).

I made this choice once; and chose solitude. I'll admit that after a year or so I ultimately decided that I *did* want that companionship in a female partner. But more importantly, in that time, I realized just how much I wanted it. Now, in my case I'm glad it all changed, because she whom I ended up with didn't play into my games, my buttons and my neurosis. Had I previously been able to forsee the part of myself then unknown, I might not have forced a separation. As it is, I'm glad I did - so much foresight.

So I suppose my only advice would be: 1) Proceed cautiously, a choice once removed is no longer an option. 2) Go over the bang for buck in all its iterations; all the good to the most ugly aspects of what you detest. 3) Be ready for all things to change; when we separate from a long-term relationship more changes than just the presence of that person.

Fido;158654 wrote:
It is hard to think of philosophy when the most essential elements of life escape me...

... ain't that the truth. Maslow is chuckling somewhere..

Best of luck!

Fido

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 11:09 pm
@Khethil,
Khethil;159093 wrote:
If you can't stand someone you're with, you probably need a change. But my experience shows me that what I *think* needs to be changed, often isn't *what* needs to be changed. I think it an obvious part of our nature that we reach for what we think will give us relief, whether or not is truly the case. Thus, careful thought is warranted; and where a long-term relationship is involved, lots and lots of careful thought.

Everything is a bang-for-buck proposition: Is what I expend worth what I get? The time, effort, forbearance, annoyance and energy -vs- whatever sense of companionship I gain; each of these to be considered on many levels.

When you consider this, it's probably a good idea to forsee yourself living alone rather than finding someone else, which is just as likely to happen as not (and a great many people live just fine alone). How does your day progress? Is there loneliness? Does it feel bland and untethered or "new" and adventurous to be alone. For some married couples, simply having that person there - with the implied choice that you could go to another room, go out, take another job or otherwise escape their immediate presence if you so feel - is worth putting up with quite a bit. Once you sever that thread, your choice becomes a non-choice (or likely does).

I made this choice once; and chose solitude. I'll admit that after a year or so I ultimately decided that I *did* want that companionship in a female partner. But more importantly, in that time, I realized just how much I wanted it. Now, in my case I'm glad it all changed, because she whom I ended up with didn't play into my games, my buttons and my neurosis. Had I previously been able to forsee the part of myself then unknown, I might not have forced a separation. As it is, I'm glad I did - so much foresight.

So I suppose my only advice would be: 1) Proceed cautiously, a choice once removed is no longer an option. 2) Go over the bang for buck in all its iterations; all the good to the most ugly aspects of what you detest. 3) Be ready for all things to change; when we separate from a long-term relationship more changes than just the presence of that person.

... ain't that the truth. Maslow is chuckling somewhere..

Best of luck!

Did you see that movie, the Usual Suspects, I think it was called, where the Turk talks about killing his whole family because he could not let others have that sort of power over him??? That is, through his affection to his wife and children??? Well that is the way I feel; not that i am going to kill anyone, but my wife has such great power over me because I love her and adore her that I cannot stand it... It is not mutual... I have no power over her, so when she abuses me as she recently did, I stomp my feet and have a fit; but it has no effect upon her like she has on me...It has become totally unequal, and it could survive that way if she understood her great power and did not insult me or humiliate me, or even attack me.. Hell; I love her... Its like kicking a dog... Why do it since the dog will love you when it is over; but it cannot be pleasant for the dog...

And thanks..

sometime sun

Reply Sun 2 May, 2010 01:51 am
@Fido,
Fido;158654 wrote:

Just imagine what it is like for those who have NEVER found love.

I never sia dyes enough,
One night with someone can be worth a life-time without anyone.

Where DOES one go?
Imagine if you were an agoraphobic

Carry the capsule and give it to her,Smile
you just made her year.

If you really need and or want it, get out there, it is worht losing the occasional limb for,
not worth losing your optimism or hope or faith.
And if you have lost any of these things you can and will find them again if you dont close your eyes for to long.

I am the absolute opposite,
philosophy helps me to not think about it.
Focus.

You are just going through the lost relationship D.Ts,
give yourself time or dont give yourself any.
You dont have to be good at it everytime.
But you do have to try.
There is no right or wrong here.

But i would say stay away from the ex.
A drunk will have a harder time quitting with the bottle there on the coffee table.

There is quitting and there is surviving.

Any one who expects a relationship after a one night stand is an idiot,
this is not to say it cant happen and one cannot be fooled.
Be a bloody fool for a little while.

Give yourself and love a break,
And if you dont think you have the time or youth to waste, DONT

Do you think the best philosophers were all happily in love or in sex?

You're NOT dead.
There IS still time,
give yourself some.
Or just take it.

Fido

Reply Sun 2 May, 2010 06:27 am
@Fido,
Interesting..... Except I would say that even without a one night stand we do have at least one form of relationship with everyone on the planet...

sometime sun

Reply Sun 2 May, 2010 06:31 am
@Fido,
Fido;159269 wrote:
Interesting..... Except I would say that even without a one night stand we do have at least one form of relationship with everyone on the planet...

Which is????????

---------- Post added 05-02-2010 at 01:31 PM ----------

No wait, i am going to bed, let me see if i cant figure it out.

Fido

Reply Sun 2 May, 2010 06:58 am
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;159271 wrote:
Which is????????

---------- Post added 05-02-2010 at 01:31 PM ----------

No wait, i am going to bed, let me see if i cant figure it out.

In case you should not... It is our relationship with all of humanity as a human being....

sometime sun

Reply Sun 2 May, 2010 03:24 pm
@Fido,
Fido;159277 wrote:
In case you should not... It is our relationship with all of humanity as a human being....

I was going to say parent or child.
But the whole famly is Humanity whole.

---------- Post added 05-02-2010 at 10:38 PM ----------

Fido;159277 wrote:

So does this mean that every one is a human being only with humanity?
Can any one not be part of humanity?
If so are they no longer human beings?
Please describe further what inductions and training everyone goes through therefore everyone must be a human being part of humanity?
Can some one stay on the dole or quit their job?
Is humanity and human being a choice?
But i do suppose there are thoes who are abusive and abused in relationships.
And some people who are just bad at their job.

Fido

Reply Sun 2 May, 2010 03:59 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;159388 wrote:
I was going to say parent or child.
But the whole famly is Humanity whole.

---------- Post added 05-02-2010 at 10:38 PM ----------

So does this mean that every one is a human being only with humanity?
Can any one not be part of humanity?
If so are they no longer human beings?
Please describe further what inductions and training everyone goes through therefore everyone must be a human being part of humanity?
Can some one stay on the dole or quit their job?
Is humanity and human being a choice?
But i do suppose there are thoes who are abusive and abused in relationships.
And some people who are just bad at their job.

It means that humanity is a class, which is a concept....Dogs are a whole group...People is too... But within that class are many classes...

sometime sun

Reply Sun 2 May, 2010 04:03 pm
@Fido,
Fido;159402 wrote:
It means that humanity is a class, which is a concept....Dogs are a whole group...People is too... But within that class are many classes...

So all the same school i would agree with.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » The Old Single Life
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 12:06:25