Philosophy websites!

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Philosophy websites!

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 03:56 am
Share which philosophy websites you enjoy. Or any websites you favourite. (Besides this website of course: it's quite awesome, I have to admit.)

My favourites are:

1. YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. - this is a really good website for watching videos regarding almost anything, including philosophy

2. WebExhibits - a group of high quality educational websites that are highly accessible by all levels

Your contribution:

3. Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy

4. Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5. Internet Sacred Text Archive Home

amist

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 07:10 am
@platorepublic,
plato.stanford.edu

database of everything philosophical you might need to look up.

platorepublic

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 10:18 am
@amist,
amist;158387 wrote:
plato.stanford.edu

database of everything philosophical you might need to look up.

lol interesting how it's PLATO.stanford.edu and not any other philosopher!

Smile

Yeah I used that website quite a lot before, when I was still doing a small philosophy course at uni last year.

melonkali

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 12:25 pm
@platorepublic,
I'm hooked on YouTube comment boards -- I have learned so much there about peoples and places and life's little microcosms, things I'd never even heard of before. And talk about new perspectives on world history! Whew!

Emil

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 01:17 pm
@platorepublic,
This resource is very good.

Linkspage.html

Some blogs and the like:
(Blog&~Blog)
chaospet
Klart Sprog, Klart Sind
Clear Language, Clear Mind

Other reference sites not mentioned in link above:
fallacyfiles.com
en.wikipedia.org

jeeprs

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 05:47 pm
@platorepublic,
Here's a sprinkling:

[The Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy]
MindPapers: Contents

Some Buddhist sites
- Digital Library & Museum of Buddhist Studies [ DLMBS ] -
Access to Insight
BuddhaNet - Worldwide Buddhist Information and Education Network

Theaetetus

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 06:15 pm
@platorepublic,
Just as a warning, there is nothing wrong with this thread, but do not post links to other forums or they will be deleted. We don't need to offer free advertisement, and we do not need to make the few staff members around here do extra work.

Anyway, here is my favorite. While the translations and copies on this site may not be the best, it is very comprehensive on "sacred texts" in the public domain. It contains much of the canon of both Eastern and Western thought--along with a bunch of surprises.

Internet Sacred Text Archive Home

platorepublic

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 06:47 am
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus;158597 wrote:
Just as a warning, there is nothing wrong with this thread, but do not post links to other forums or they will be deleted. We don't need to offer free advertisement, and we do not need to make the few staff members around here do extra work.

Anyway, here is my favorite. While the translations and copies on this site may not be the best, it is very comprehensive on "sacred texts" in the public domain. It contains much of the canon of both Eastern and Western thought--along with a bunch of surprises.

Internet Sacred Text Archive Home

Hmmm reasons and justifications?

Emil

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 06:56 am
@platorepublic,
platorepublic;158917 wrote:
Hmmm reasons and justifications?

This forum is american and thus it is not surprising that it has lots of idiotic rules, just as everything else american is full of stupidity. I usually categorize the US with developing countries. Especially when I see something like this. In any case, you can ask in the questions forum why they made that rule and it is probably without good reason.

jeeprs

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 06:59 am
@platorepublic,
For the record, I support the Forum rules, and think the mods generally do a great job, considering entrance is free. A lot of people do a lot of work to make this place happen and I respect them for it.

platorepublic

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 07:12 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;158925 wrote:
For the record, I support the Forum rules, and think the mods generally do a great job, considering entrance is free. A lot of people do a lot of work to make this place happen and I respect them for it.

I agree, and I support them too. But sometimes there needs to be justification. For educational purposes, say.

Twirlip

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 07:22 am
@Emil,
Emil;158922 wrote:
Especially when I see something like this.

T.F. woman sentenced to life for lewdness charge

Holy $%*@!

That's a good example of the kind of new item which, ever since I was a child, has caused me to wonder what kind of madhouse we are living in.

The boat we are all in (that's from yet another recent thread) is a ship of fools.

That's another possible answer to the question Where do you begin?, in another thread: I begin from the sense that nothing makes sense, and try to find some things that do make sense.

Human authority is almost invariably insane. So what is sanity?

When my own sanity is in doubt (especially for having naively trusted in human authority because, in a vicious circle, I didn't believe I could trust my own judgement), why am I not a nihilist? Why do I believe that there is all the difference in the world between good and bad, right and wrong, true and false, sane and insane?

Hence the need for philosophy.

Theaetetus

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 08:21 am
@Emil,
Emil;158922 wrote:
This forum is american and thus it is not surprising that it has lots of idiotic rules, just as everything else american is full of stupidity. I usually categorize the US with developing countries. Especially when I see something like this. In any case, you can ask in the questions forum why they made that rule and it is probably without good reason.

Well, Emil, if you don't like the rules, you can quit frequenting this place as I am sure most members wouldn't care. I find it funny that idiots go around on the net criticizing web masters for their rules. If you don't like them, then create your own domain and make your own rules. You will be surprise what rules you will end up putting in place when dealing with invalids and morons.

The rule is in place so this forum does not get littered with spam by people that register to advertise for their forum, business, or agenda. Much like we don't allow advertisements, we don't allow for the advertisement for forums in the public areas of this site. We do not go and post our links all over other forums, and we do not want others to do the same. Thus, the rule.

Jebediah

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 11:19 am
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus;158954 wrote:

The rule is in place so this forum does not get littered with spam by people that register to advertise for their forum, business, or agenda. Much like we don't allow advertisements, we don't allow for the advertisement for forums in the public areas of this site. We do not go and post our links all over other forums, and we do not want others to do the same. Thus, the rule.

I think this is a common sense rule. There is plenty of advertising on the internet, even the subtle "pretending to be a regular patron" but really just advertising their site kind.

Perhaps people who have been members here for over a year/500 posts could link to other forums though. Since presumably they are not simply shilling for their own website.

"just as everything else American is stupid" was out of left field though Laughing

Emil

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 11:41 am
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;159007 wrote:
I think this is a common sense rule. There is plenty of advertising on the internet, even the subtle "pretending to be a regular patron" but really just advertising their site kind.

Perhaps people who have been members here for over a year/500 posts could link to other forums though. Since presumably they are not simply shilling for their own website.

"just as everything else American is stupid" was out of left field though Laughing

That's not what I wrote. Please be more careful with your quoting. I wrote "just as everything else american is full of stupidity.". That does not mean the same as what you wrote. My statement allows for exceptions, yours do not. I could rephrase what I wrote to "generally speaking, most of things american are full of stupidity".

Reasons with advertising are not particularly relevant for references to specific threads or posts on other forums, especially not when they are relevant to some discussion on this site. There is a difference between how the links are posted. Most links posted by bots are either as in a new thread containing not much information or text and with a link to the front page of some site, or as in a post usually not containing much material relevant to the discussion in the thread.

---------- Post added 05-01-2010 at 07:45 PM ----------

jeeprs;158925 wrote:

Would you support any set of forum rules, if the moderators generally do a great job?

I used to be a moderator, by the way. I moderated the largest atheist/free thought/rationalist board on the internet, specifically the philosophy section. Since I may not link to it, just google FRDB. I am well aware the amount of work it takes and I think the mods here generally do a good job.

jeeprs

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 05:29 pm
@platorepublic,
I am not sure exactly what you mean by the first question. The feeling I have about this forum are that the rules seem reasonable. I haven't had any reason to think they weren't. I have been to a number of other sites at various times, this one seems the most friendly.

Emil

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 06:11 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;159099 wrote:
I am not sure exactly what you mean by the first question. The feeling I have about this forum are that the rules seem reasonable. I haven't had any reason to think they weren't. I have been to a number of other sites at various times, this one seems the most friendly.

That this forum is more friendly than other forums does not give reason to believe that it has reasonable rules. If that is what you meant to write. You are not very clear with your conditionals, so it is hard to assess what you write.

Obviously the rule against posting links to other forums under any condition is not reasonable. Sure the motivation may be good (get rid of spammers), but the rule hits too many innocent targets.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 06:38 pm
@Emil,
Emil;158922 wrote:

"A man has walked free after having sexual intercourse with a sheep because the animal was unable to testify it had not agreed to the sex act. Under Dutch law, bestiality is not a crime and anyone who has sex with an animal cannot be charged unless it can be proved the animal did not want the sex and suffered emotional distress from the experience. In the latest case, a man from Haaksbergen near Utrecht was reported to the police by a farmer who caught him having sex with his sheep."

Sheep baa'd in sex case | News.com.au

Definitely agree with you, the US must be a developing country in light of this gem of jurisprudence, especially after I also read that it is illegal to impersonate a blind man after dark. On an interesting note though, American law students study the dog provete (dog who bit a little boy who subsequently died and the town put on a full trial, brought on other animals for witnesses, and hung the dog from the town gallows as a warning to other animals) from old Dutch law. Classic. But hey, I'm sure there is a good reason for it being logged in the books though. Who am I to judge if a different culture has different ways... its not like I would be calling all of that stupid or anything like that. :sarcastic:

Theaetetus

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 07:22 pm
@Emil,
Emil;159109 wrote:

Obviously the rule against posting links to other forums under any condition is not reasonable. Sure the motivation may be good (get rid of spammers), but the rule hits too many innocent targets.

I don't understand why anyone would care to begin with. First, it is not a no posting links to other forums under any condition, it is more, no posting links to other philosophy forums. If you want other members to know about a certain forum, just send a private message. Hell, post the address in your website address box in your contacts if it is that important to reveal the address to the forum.

We also have members that have created their own forums on related themes, and have posted the address in their signature. Other members post their blog address in their signature, and there are members that have linked websites.

But honestly this whole debate is stupid. The forum itself is a business, and businesses generally do not allow advertisements for their competitors. You don't see one grocery store or their customers posting signs for another competitor on their bulletin board. And if they were to do this, it would only be a matter of time before they were removed. It is pretty much a standard protocol.

Emil

Reply Sun 2 May, 2010 07:23 am
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon;159119 wrote:
"A man has walked free after having sexual intercourse with a sheep because the animal was unable to testify it had not agreed to the sex act. Under Dutch law, bestiality is not a crime and anyone who has sex with an animal cannot be charged unless it can be proved the animal did not want the sex and suffered emotional distress from the experience. In the latest case, a man from Haaksbergen near Utrecht was reported to the police by a farmer who caught him having sex with his sheep."

Sheep baa'd in sex case | News.com.au

Definitely agree with you, the US must be a developing country in light of this gem of jurisprudence, especially after I also read that it is illegal to impersonate a blind man after dark. On an interesting note though, American law students study the dog provete (dog who bit a little boy who subsequently died and the town put on a full trial, brought on other animals for witnesses, and hung the dog from the town gallows as a warning to other animals) from old Dutch law. Classic. But hey, I'm sure there is a good reason for it being logged in the books though. Who am I to judge if a different culture has different ways... its not like I would be calling all of that stupid or anything like that. :sarcastic:

You make it seem like I inferred that the US is a developing country because of a single incident. That is not the case. So that you can find a single incident of stupidity in some european country does nothing to me. There are many stupid things in the EU too. What do you think I am? Some blind zealot, EU-tionalist? Of course not.

There is no law in Denmark against bestiality, and there shouldn't be either. There is a law against animal cruelty. If the sex act is in some way cruel to the animal, you can be changed with that. I doubt that the sheep thought it was a big problem with that fellow ******* it but who knows? Seems hard to judge after the fact whether some animal suffered from a sex act or not. One would have to reproduce a similar effect and observe how the animal behaves.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Philosophy websites!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/26/2024 at 06:50:52