Hawkings alien nation

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Hawkings alien nation

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 02:43 pm
Don’t talk to aliens, warns Stephen Hawking - Times Online

I cant wait for the programe,
but was wondering what you thought was likely to be an alien attitude?
Will they be monsters, will they be conquerors, will they be beurocrats, will they be universal custodians?
Ridley Scott, Alien
Gene Roddenberry, Star Trek
Douglas Adams, Hitchhikers Guide
Steven Spielberg, Close Encounters
ETC

mister kitten

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 03:01 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;156506 wrote:

Will they be monsters, will they be conquerors, will they be beurocrats, will they be universal custodians?

ETC

To clean up our muck?

Fido

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 04:03 pm
@sometime sun,
If aliens are smarter they will either eat us or keep us as pets... And if we are smarter we will eat them and keep them as pets and follow them home and exterminate them...Isn't that what we have always done, and should we expect better???...

wayne

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 05:06 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;156506 wrote:

Ridley Scott, Alien
Gene Roddenberry, Star Trek
Douglas Adams, Hitchhikers Guide
Steven Spielberg, Close Encounters
ETC

I watched the show last nite. It raises some interesting points. We might not want to meet any aliens who are able to find us. It seems pretty likely that they would be looking for our resources, probably treating us like America treated the indians.Or worse.

Fido

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 05:53 pm
@sometime sun,
How to serve humanity... And how could they possibly serve us worse than we serve ourselves... But here is the question... What do you do with the superior people around us who feel they deserve what they can take because they are special, part of a special group, or just because they can and want to???They are preditors and we are prey, and even if they do not kill us, they bleed us and take from us the necessities of life... What are you supposed to do with them???

sometime sun

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 05:57 pm
@Fido,
Fido;156917 wrote:
How to serve humanity... And how could they possibly serve us worse than we serve ourselves... But here is the question... What do you do with the superior people around us who feel they deserve what they can take because they are special, part of a special group, or just because they can and want to???They are preditors and we are prey, and even if they do not kill us, they bleed us and take from us the necessities of life... What are you supposed to do with them???

Aliens among us.
If they are useless to humanity send them to the moon?

jack phil

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 09:24 pm
@sometime sun,
Well now I have something to point to for saying Hawkins has no credibility.

sometime sun

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 06:39 pm
@jack phil,
jack;156976 wrote:
Well now I have something to point to for saying Hawkins has no credibility.

Just this????????????

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 06:45 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;156918 wrote:
Aliens among us.

Let humanity go to the moon !

Gnomes are Trolls and here to stay.

Fido

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 08:58 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;156918 wrote:
Aliens among us.

The Middle East might be cheaper...

William

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 10:07 pm
@sometime sun,
What Hawking's fails to realize is WE are those "aliens". Ha! He is the ultimate "separationist". Some of that ancient alien thought that "we were" is still with us, big time as they effort to control this world. All of those ancient cultures that evolve around the pyramids are extinct and for good reason. Natural selection, huh? But not all are gone. Some were much smarter than others and if they don't adapt and stop sacrificing others, they too will..................begone!!!!!

William

sarek

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 06:38 am
@sometime sun,
If there are aliens out there I expect them to be more than simply technologically evolved.
What will distinguish them from us much more is that they will be morally evolved. A technologically advanced race that is not stable is very unlikely to ever reach the stars.
Moral stability and the need for absolute equality for all is rapidly becoming the dominant factor in our fitness landscape and so it will be for any aliens visiting us.

sometime sun

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 09:15 am
@sarek,
sarek;160771 wrote:
If there are aliens out there I expect them to be more than simply technologically evolved.
What will distinguish them from us much more is that they will be morally evolved. A technologically advanced race that is not stable is very unlikely to ever reach the stars.
Moral stability and the need for absolute equality for all is rapidly becoming the dominant factor in our fitness landscape and so it will be for any aliens visiting us.

Strong morality equals a strong civilisation, agreed.
Now whether their morality is human morality is another thing.
Survival of the fittest at any cost?
Master race?
Enforced and selective breeding?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Hawkings alien nation
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 04:04:18