Philosophy in Movies.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Philosophy in Movies.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Dosed

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 06:16 pm
A friend of mine is starting a blog where he is explaining several schools of philosophy through popular culture. For example, explaining the mind/body problem through films such as The Hot Chick, Freaky Friday, and Being John Malkovich. He's asked me to write a piece for the project, and I'm very interested in putting something together. I'd like to maybe do something with Phenomenology, if possible, as that's my specialty. Problem is, I can't find any Phenomenology in pop culture!!!

Any ideas? Also, any other topics in film would be helpful as well.

Jebediah

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 06:20 pm
@Dosed,
I think Ground Hog Day and Rashoman would work well for some philosophical topic.

GHD has bill murray living the same day over and over again, and Rashoman has the same event as told by multiple different people.

I don't know if you could map a "school" of philosophy onto a movie like that though, a particular idea maybe.

Dosed

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 06:36 pm
@Dosed,
hmm. I've never seen either movie, but I can see that there is something there. Thanks, man. Will look into that some.

Any more suggestions?

Theaetetus

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 10:34 pm
@Dosed,
Synecdoche, New York is a great movie that is littered with philosophy--and it may even help you with that phenomenology stuff in pop culture. It is written and directed by Charlie Kaufmann who also wrote Being John Malkovich and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 11:33 pm
@Dosed,
Dosed.;150638 wrote:
hmm. I've never seen either movie, but I can see that there is something there. Thanks, man. Will look into that some.

Any more suggestions?

"Adaptation" About personal identity.

Emil

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 03:04 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;150734 wrote:
"Adaptation" About personal identity.

Also by Charlie Kaufman. Wink

Charlie Kaufman

Here is a great list for you OP and anyone with both an interest in films and philosophy.

PHILOSOPHY AND RELIGION IN FILM: A LIST

I've seen most of the films by now.

sometime sun

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 07:32 am
@Emil,
Phenomenology film i would say 'Naked Lunch' the film not the book

Theaetetus

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 11:23 am
@Dosed,
Thanks Emil! That is an excellent list of movies. I have seen most of them, but there are many on there that I have yet to see.

sometime sun

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 11:54 am
@Theaetetus,
There is a 'Film appreciation Society' here on this forum, perhaps some of you could pick one of these films and we all could watch and discuss, i am disapointed that there is not more partisipation in that group.
Pick a film, i will be there.

Amperage

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 12:03 pm
@sometime sun,
I tend to find philosophical aspects in some fashion in most movies.

If you enjoy time travel type things I think "Deja Vu" staring Denzel Washington, Val Kilmer, and others and I found it pretty interesting..

It explores the notion of "Destiny", parallel universe's, etc.

sometime sun

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 12:08 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;151885 wrote:

Me too, all life is philosophy if you look close enough or even at a distance

Emil

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 06:04 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;151885 wrote:

If you enjoy time travel type things I think "Deja Vu" staring Denzel Washington, Val Kilmer, and others and I found it pretty interesting..

It explores the notion of "Destiny", parallel universe's, etc.

Though that movie is pretty bad. Try Back to the Future 1-3, The Girl who Leapt Through Time, and others.

HexHammer

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 06:19 pm
@Dosed,
Now I may walk a thin line here, balancing between nonsens and arbitary philosphy.

..but! The movie 300, displays our thirst to twist and distort factualy history to something more pleasing to us, the cynical carelessness towards integrety.

Further it displays the immens wisdom of defiance in man, how but a tiny group of states can stand up to a superpower and win, but outsmarting the enemy, by choosing the right battleground, by having the odassity to attack a mass of ship greatly outnumberd, do what you have to do ..and sacrifice youself in the process.

That is useable philosophy contrary navel gazing philosophy.

Amperage

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 06:25 pm
@Emil,
Emil;152040 wrote:
Though that movie is pretty bad. Try Back to the Future 1-3, The Girl who Leapt Through Time, and others.
"12 Monkeys" starring Bruce Willis and Brad Pitt is a good one too

etherguant

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 02:15 am
@Amperage,
sanitarium
primal
eternal darkness
silent hill
blood omen
soul reaver
soul reaver 2
blood omen 2
defiance
American megees alice

you can watch all of these games on youtube except blood omen for some reason.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Philosophy in Movies.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 05:12:32