Healthy addictions

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Healthy addictions

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 02:48 pm
I told myself yesterday, 'give it rest for a couple of days' I didn't. (as you can read)

So it made me wonder if i was 'addicted' to this forum?

Anyone else feel or think this way?

Where does presence end and addiction begin?

And it also led me to think 'if i am addicted then it is a positve addiction'
My life has become more productive and even more wonderous, i'm interested and invested. (i miss flying though, so it has come at a price)

Is their a healthy addiction?

PappasNick

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 03:24 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;146825 wrote:
I told myself yesterday, 'give it rest for a couple of days' I didn't. (as you can read)

So it made me wonder if i was 'addicted' to this forum?

Anyone else feel or think this way?

Where does presence end and addiction begin?

And it also led me to think 'if i am addicted then it is a positve addiction'
My life has become more productive and even more wonderous, i'm interested and invested. (i miss flying though, so it has come at a price)

Is their a healthy addiction?

I would say it's only an addiction if it becomes a problem for you, screwing up other areas of your life. So, in that sense, I would say healthy addictions are possible only when "addiction" is in quotes. Maybe what you've got is simply healthy. Nothing wrong with that. That's how I feel about my involvement. Healthy.

Pyrrho

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 04:34 pm
@sometime sun,
[INDENT][INDENT]
There isn't any problem with me spending my life on the internet instead of going outside and seeing the real world. Sitting on my ass all day at my computer is fine; it isn't a problem that I am not going out for a walk and enjoying fresh air and the nice spring weather, or actually speaking with real humans instead of typing at my computer.
[/INDENT][/INDENT]

Keep telling yourself that, and you will probably end up believing it.

sometime sun

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 04:43 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;146891 wrote:
[INDENT][INDENT]
There isn't any problem with me spending my life on the internet instead of going outside and seeing the real world. Sitting on my ass all day at my computer is fine; it isn't a problem that I am not going out for a walk and enjoying fresh air and the nice spring weather, or actually speaking with real humans instead of typing at my computer.
[/INDENT][/INDENT]Keep telling yourself that, and you will probably end up believing it.

I'm here at night predominantly, no one to call up no one out that you can stop and converse with, you can look at the moon and stars but it is cold at night. And yet i am not here every all night. And yet most nights it is the highlight of that day and night.
I know get a better life then,
But the other thing is that my day and its occupants are not able to talk of what we do here, i cant afford school at the moment and what if i want to be a professional writter?
Our work keeps us in doors all the time but can be the most rewarding part of any ones life.

Are you saying you aren't real here?

mister kitten

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 04:48 pm
@sometime sun,
Hi my name is <ole, and I am addicted to running.

My nerves always rattle around lunchtime-around which time usually I run a lap (or four/four laps=one mile) of the track at school.

sometime sun

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 04:51 pm
@mister kitten,
mister kitten;146899 wrote:
Hi my name is <ole, and I am addicted to running.

My nerves always rattle around lunchtime-around which time usually I run a lap (or four/four laps=one mile) of the track at school.

Yes but i knew this girl who could not stop running till here feet bled and still she kept running they had to tie here down.

mister kitten

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 05:05 pm
@sometime sun,
I am not a girl.

sometime sun

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 05:07 pm
@mister kitten,
mister kitten;146904 wrote:
I am not a girl.

Laughing.......................

mister kitten

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 05:09 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;146905 wrote:
Laughing.......................

Pyrrho

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 05:12 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;146897 wrote:
I'm here at night predominantly, no one to call up no one out that you can stop and converse with, you can look at the moon and stars but it is cold at night. And yet i am not here every all night. And yet most nights it is the highlight of that day and night.
I know get a better life then,
But the other thing is that my day and its occupants are not able to talk of what we do here, i cant afford school at the moment and what if i want to be a professional writter?
Our work keeps us in doors all the time but can be the most rewarding part of any ones life.

Are you saying you aren't real here?

What makes you think I am a real person? Have you never heard of programs? Perhaps I am a simulated person. All you have are words that you read. How can you know how they were created? This goes for posts under other names as well, which, allegedly, are created by other people. But you don't seriously believe everything you read, do you?

But that is not what I meant previously. There is a significant difference between in-person human interaction and reading text on the internet. It is difficult to have the same sort of warmth online as a hug or a kiss, or even a hearty handshake or pat on the back. You cannot share a bottle of wine online, or a nice meal. If one cannot get out, the internet is better than nothing, but it is not a proper substitute for real contact with living beings. Even a pet dog or cat is going to be better in some ways than internet conversations. (Actually, in a lot of ways. When was the last time you heard a dog or cat say something stupid?)

Of course, this does not mean that the internet is useless, as one may not know anyone interested in the same sorts of subjects as one can find online. But even so, it is not a proper substitute for other interactions.

sometime sun

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 05:15 pm
@mister kitten,
Pyrrho; I also put this song else where tonight but just incase you dont see it. You made me think of it.
YouTube - MARINA AND THE DIAMONDS | I AM NOT A ROBOT

Pyrrho

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 05:26 pm
@mister kitten,
mister kitten;146904 wrote:
I am not a girl.

And don't you think it is unfortunate that so many here say the same thing?

Yet another reason to get out into the world....

sometime sun

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 06:03 pm
@Pyrrho,
This place has actually got me out the door more than keeping it shut.
Even my meditations has not given me all what this place has, and the things it has taken away form me might very well be for my bettermeant. (i cannot fly anymore, this might be good for me no matter how good flying can be)

Pyrrho

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 06:28 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;146910 wrote:
Pyrrho; I also put this song else where tonight but just incase you dont see it. You made me think of it.
YouTube - MARINA AND THE DIAMONDS | I AM NOT A ROBOT

sometime sun

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 04:22 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;146928 wrote:

Sometimes depends on how pretty they are.Smile

Pyrrho

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 08:07 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;147207 wrote:
Sometimes depends on how pretty they are.Smile

That is not a good way to judge someone's honesty, integrity, or intelligence, and will get you in trouble if your practice follows that suggestion.

Theaetetus

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 08:21 pm
@sometime sun,
I think addictions, as long as practiced in moderation, are not inherently bad. If no one other than the addicted is harmed, I don't see any problem. Addictions are not necessarily bad. It is just that some of the ones generally considered bad are the only that people generally call addictions. You could be addicted to reading, which is not usually considered bad, but if it causes someone to lose their job or significant other, then it may actually bad for the individual.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Healthy addictions
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 07:51:42