How to Hide the Truth From People.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » How to Hide the Truth From People.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 09:38 am
Throw it right in their face. There is no way that it could be the truth right? Because if it was, it would not be in the open, but it would be hidden.

Words like Romance or Romantic are words people still don't understand. You literally have to beg them to think about where the words came from, and they barely understand that it came from ancient Rome. The location is right in the word, a toddler would understand that it is from Rome because of their pure thought, or at least a 5 year old child, but the older we get, the more we sacrifice intelligence for thought. We start thinking much much more, but in return, we get dumber.

Lost1 phil

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 10:01 am
@dave2770,
Feeling a bit Froggy today?

Lost1

jgweed

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 11:57 am
@dave2770,
Romance and Romantic have many different meanings depending on the intellectual contextual horizon in which they are used. An English literature major would have, certainly, clusters of meaning different than a toddler, as would someone listening to My Chemical Romance.

While the meaning of the word romance, when applied to languages, might have its roots in "roman," most modern senses of the word actually derive from early French. Perhaps some clarification is needed to justify a youngster knowing the origins or how the origins effect the meaning of the word.

One wonders, also, at the distinction between intelligence and thought in the assertion that the more one thinks the dumber one becomes, since it seems that thinking opens the chaotic world to understanding and human activity.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 12:27 pm
@jgweed,
jgweed;141929 wrote:
Romance and Romantic have many different meanings depending on the intellectual contextual horizon in which they are used. An English literature major would have, certainly, clusters of meaning different than a toddler, as would someone listening to My Chemical Romance.

While the meaning of the word romance, when applied to languages, might have its roots in "roman," most modern senses of the word actually derive from early French. Perhaps some clarification is needed to justify a youngster knowing the origins or how the origins effect the meaning of the word.

One wonders, also, at the distinction between intelligence and thought in the assertion that the more one thinks the dumber one becomes, since it seems that thinking opens the chaotic world to understanding and human activity.

Actually, "romance", in "romance languages" only means that the language has mostly Latin roots, since Latin was spoken in ancient Rome.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 03:34 pm
@kennethamy,
dave2770;141901 wrote:
Throw it right in their face. There is no way that it could be the truth right? Because if it was, it would not be in the open, but it would be hidden.

Words like Romance or Romantic are words people still don't understand. You literally have to beg them to think about where the words came from, and they barely understand that it came from ancient Rome. The location is right in the word, a toddler would understand that it is from Rome because of their pure thought, or at least a 5 year old child, but the older we get, the more we sacrifice intelligence for thought. We start thinking much much more, but in return, we get dumber.

As far as etymology goes, even the simplest words go through various revolutions in meaning and context until the innocent original becomes perverse or the perverse innocent. That is to say that something that originally starts with a meaning of x, becomes the meaning of y, sometimes in the context of z, etc. Is it so much of hiding truth and so on? I don't really think so. Romance in particular is etymologically derived from compositional form and adventure than anything more central to the blunt word like "roman." That would be one hulluva toddler who would understand the myriad of context and uses of a single word, let alone others.

On your questions and points, etymology and the more subtle meanings play a big part in an answer I think. One philosopher by the name of Stephanie Ross posited that words with seemingly innocuous meaning today are etymologically rooted in deeply hurtful words. She mentioned how when we say "screw" we are in turn bringing up an amalgamation of historically hurtful words. She traces the word from the Celtic buc which is "a point, to piece" to the Latin fustis meaning "a staff or cudgel" to the German ficken, meaning "to strike" to the modern vulgar English equivalent which I need not mention. In so doing, Ross reveals that in something so commonly used without much care for the negative connotations, people still use it without consideration for the etymological history which is deeply hurtful in many referential terms. But to cut the long story short, Ross suggests that these words are what are now called dead metaphors, which mean that some things which may be hurtful have lost their edge and have gone into modern vernacular without due consideration for the true meanings.

Now is Romance and Romantic a dead metaphor, not in the sense that Ross suggests. But in a way, I think the notion is still applicable here. Words like Romantic and Romance have an etymological history whose origins reveal the deeper foundations of the word. However, the context in which we use those words now have a somewhat different meaning, use, etc. In some ways, words mean whatever we want them to mean dependent on the time in use. This is one of the central points to Lewis Carroll's humpty dumpty episode in Through the Looking Glass. Humpty Dumpty and Alice converse on subjects like the un-birthday and the context of "glory," which Alice is keen to remind Humpty is not the correct usage of yet Humpty reveals that words mean whatever he wants them to mean.

And I think it is on that note that I get into one of your points at the end which was that the older we get, the more we sacrifice intelligence for thought (or thinking much more entails we get dumber). In the case of Alice, you have Alice stubbornly attached to a normative framework in which "glory" and "birthday" have specific meaning. Humpty on the other hand represents the more dynamic aspects of referring to a birthday as the days in which they are not or that the context of a word has millions of different meanings. Maybe we could look at Alice as a personification of the older and slightly dumber person. Humpty in turn could for all intents and purposes represent the wide etymological origins of a single word with a million meanings. Honestly, I would still call Humpty dumpty dumber, but I may just be too deeply embedded in Alice's normative framework.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 03:46 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon;141984 wrote:
As far as etymology goes, even the simplest words go through various revolutions in meaning and context until the innocent original becomes perverse or the perverse innocent. That is to say that something that originally starts with a meaning of x, becomes the meaning of y, sometimes in the context of z, etc. Is it so much of hiding truth and so on? I don't really think so. Romance in particular is etymologically derived from compositional form and adventure than anything more central to the blunt word like "roman." That would be one hulluva toddler who would understand the myriad of context and uses of a single word, let alone others.

On your questions and points, etymology and the more subtle meanings play a big part in an answer I think. One philosopher by the name of Stephanie Ross posited that words with seemingly innocuous meaning today are etymologically rooted in deeply hurtful words. She mentioned how when we say "screw" we are in turn bringing up an amalgamation of historically hurtful words. She traces the word from the Celtic buc which is "a point, to piece" to the Latin fustis meaning "a staff or cudgel" to the German ficken, meaning "to strike" to the modern vulgar English equivalent which I need not mention. In so doing, Ross reveals that in something so commonly used without much care for the negative connotations, people still use it without consideration for the etymological history which is deeply hurtful in many referential terms. But to cut the long story short, Ross suggests that these words are what are now called dead metaphors, which mean that some things which may be hurtful have lost their edge and have gone into modern vernacular without due consideration for the true meanings.

Now is Romance and Romantic a dead metaphor, not in the sense that Ross suggests. But in a way, I think the notion is still applicable here. Words like Romantic and Romance have an etymological history whose origins reveal the deeper foundations of the word. However, the context in which we use those words now have a somewhat different meaning, use, etc. In some ways, words mean whatever we want them to mean dependent on the time in use. This is one of the central points to Lewis Carroll's humpty dumpty episode in Through the Looking Glass. Humpty Dumpty and Alice converse on subjects like the un-birthday and the context of "glory," which Alice is keen to remind Humpty is not the correct usage of yet Humpty reveals that words mean whatever he wants them to mean.

And I think it is on that note that I get into one of your points at the end which was that the older we get, the more we sacrifice intelligence for thought (or thinking much more entails we get dumber). In the case of Alice, you have Alice stubbornly attached to a normative framework in which "glory" and "birthday" have specific meaning. Humpty on the other hand represents the more dynamic aspects of referring to a birthday as the days in which they are not or that the context of a word has millions of different meanings. Maybe we could look at Alice as a personification of the older and slightly dumber person. Humpty in turn could for all intents and purposes represent the wide etymological origins of a single word with a million meanings. Honestly, I would still call Humpty dumpty dumber, but I may just be too deeply embedded in Alice's normative framework.

I thought that the Humpty-Dumpty episode satirized the view that an individual can use a word to mean whatever he wants it to mean. Even Humpty-Dumpty admits that to get a word to do that he has to "pay them extra". Words mean what they mean. They don't mean whatever a particular individual want them to mean (unless the individual wants the word to mean what it means). So it does not seem to me that HD reveals anything of the sort you say he reveals. Since he cannot reveal what is false. It is not up to any individual to cause a word to mean what the individual wants it to mean, since it is not in the individual's power to do so. There is one exception: the individual may have the power to stipulate the meaning of a word, as long as others are willing to follow his stipulation.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 04:32 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;141988 wrote:
I thought that the Humpty-Dumpty episode satirized the view that an individual can use a word to mean whatever he wants it to mean. Even Humpty-Dumpty admits that to get a word to do that he has to "pay them extra". Words mean what they mean. They don't mean whatever a particular individual want them to mean (unless the individual wants the word to mean what it means). So it does not seem to me that HD reveals anything of the sort you say he reveals. Since he cannot reveal what is false. It is not up to any individual to cause a word to mean what the individual wants it to mean, since it is not in the individual's power to do so. There is one exception: the individual may have the power to stipulate the meaning of a word, as long as others are willing to follow his stipulation.
exact meaning of the relative episode that is Lewis Carroll's humpty dumpty, especially considering the content. In the spirit of humpty dumpty, I could just say the story means whatever I mean it to mean, however, that seems meaningless. LOL!

But seriously though, Humpty dumpty represents (as far as I am concerned at the moment) a stark contrast to authors like Jonathan Swift and even St. Augustine. Jonathan Swift (Gulliver's Travels)
kennethamy;141988 wrote:
Since he cannot reveal what is false. It is not up to any individual to cause a word to mean what the individual wants it to mean, since it is not in the individual's power to do so. There is one exception: the individual may have the power to stipulate the meaning of a word, as long as others are willing to follow his stipulation.

I suppose this is why I mentioned normative frameworks in the first place.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 05:47 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon;142006 wrote:
exact meaning of the relative episode that is Lewis Carroll's humpty dumpty, especially considering the content. In the spirit of humpty dumpty, I could just say the story means whatever I mean it to mean, however, that seems meaningless. LOL!

But seriously though, Humpty dumpty represents (as far as I am concerned at the moment) a stark contrast to authors like Jonathan Swift and even St. Augustine. Jonathan Swift (Gulliver's Travels)

Are you saying that the HD episode is not a satirical attack on the notion that it is individual who decide what a term means, and that it is not an objective issue that the term "there is glory for you" does not mean "that is a knock-down argument"? It is impossible to tell. HD tells Alice that "there is glory for you" means, that "it is a knock-down argument", but that is simply false. Swift, and normative frameworks have nothing to do with it. Please stick to the point.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 06:40 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;142023 wrote:
Are you saying that the HD episode is not a satirical attack on the notion that it is individual who decide what a term means, and that it is not an objective issue that the term "there is glory for you" does not mean "that is a knock-down argument"?

I said exactly what I meant. More simply, humpty dumpty (as I stated a few times in posts #5 and #7) is about the relative conceptions of a given thing (in this case the meaning of a word). Satirical content is somewhat irrelevant as far as I am concerned, but you are fully entitled to pursue that on your own if you wish. Also, if it were not objective then it would be a subjective issue whether or not anything meant anything we attribute to it. Obviously, which I sincerely hope it is obvious, that the nature of the story is such that subjective interpretation is one of the central notions at play here, as I have stated a few times over in the past few posts.
kennethamy;142023 wrote:
It is impossible to tell. HD tells Alice that "there is glory for you" means, that "it is a knock-down argument", but that is simply false. Swift, and normative frameworks have nothing to do with it. Please stick to the point.

It's odd how you put this. You say it's impossible to tell yet you attribute truth functionality to the glory statement and the knockdown statement.

As to Swift and normative frameworks, Swift is part of the grander academic context of Humpty dumpty I infer from my original point. However, I see now that putting this in context is wasted on the current discussion. Normative frameworks are part of my original point (although ironically implied by you yet clearly not understood). I would also remind you to stick the point (both in the deviated sense and the original topic).

Honestly, nothing against you Kennethamy, but discussions with you are rarely productive, so I'm going to call it a day with our conversation. By all means continue the topic if you wish, but please remember to tie in the original posters question.

ughaibu

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 09:03 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;141988 wrote:
There is one exception: the individual may have the power to stipulate the meaning of a word, as long as others are willing to follow his stipulation.
I dont see how this could be done other than within the framework of an extant linguistic convention.

Deckard

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 11:55 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon;142006 wrote:

But seriously though, Humpty dumpty represents (as far as I am concerned at the moment) a stark contrast to authors like Jonathan Swift and even St. Augustine. Jonathan Swift (Gulliver's Travels) maintained that language in particular was irritating and useless. In fact, we should just carry around the objects we name (nouns being the most important thing). Primitive language then becomes a direct factor here in terms of the story in question. But whereas Swift presents a base primitive interpretation (which I hope is taken in terms of the story), Humpty Dumpty inextricably connects language and thought. Swift's character represents rigidity (words tied directly to what they name) and Carroll's character represents unconstrained applicability. In so many words, words mean whatever humpty means them to mean. So long story made ironic, most things in this context are relative.

I really like the spectrum between the extremes of Humpty Dumpty and the Laputan philosophers. The fables illustrate the perils of going to either of these extremes. The Laputan philosophers were overburdened by carrying about the things that they could just as well use words. The Laputans feared that words were too dangerous, too susceptible to semantic drift. They wanted to be exact. I don't remember if Swift included some mention such a thing but it is easy to imagine that a few of these philosophers were mortally crushed under the burden and were silent from then on.

Humpty on the other hand cared nothing for such exactness and, so the story goes climbed higher and higher on this ladder of ambiguity in an attempt to reach the golden Sun (what is the Sun in this rendering of the story?) until one day he fell and no one could put him (much less what he had to say) back together again.

Marvelous! I think there's a very entertaining essay to be written about Humpty and the Laputans.

wayne

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 01:57 am
@dave2770,
I am part of a small circle in which the words "moron" and "Putz" now mean "I love you" .Humpty Dumpty defined the words within his circle of one. Wasn't the satire on self-centeredness

kennethamy

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 02:05 am
@ughaibu,
ughaibu;142056 wrote:
I dont see how this could be done other than within the framework of an extant linguistic convention.

The convention would be, "Let's call this new kind of substance, 'a gas'" And if the term becomes establish as the name for this new kind of substance, the term becomes the name of that new kind of substance.

ughaibu

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 04:56 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;144429 wrote:
The convention would be, "Let's call this new kind of substance, 'a gas'" And if the term becomes establish as the name for this new kind of substance, the term becomes the name of that new kind of substance.
"Let's call this new substance" can only be understood within an extant linguistic convention.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 05:04 am
@ughaibu,
ughaibu;144485 wrote:
"Let's call this new substance" can only be understood within an extant linguistic convention.

Obviously, since it is language, and language is a system of conventions. What has that to do with stipulation?

ughaibu

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 05:09 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;144487 wrote:
What has that to do with stipulation?
You hit a snake, go back to post 10.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 05:17 am
@ughaibu,
ughaibu;144489 wrote:
You hit a snake, go back to post 10.

Which snake is that? I said only that the stipulator could establish a convention for the use of a particular term as long as others would follow him in that use. I did not deny that there were other background-conventions involved. Of course there are. Omission is not denial.

ughaibu

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 05:20 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;144494 wrote:
Which snake is that? I said only that the stipulator could establish a convention for the use of a particular term as long as others would follow him in that use. I did not deny that there were other background-conventions involved. Of course there are. Omission is not denial.
Okay, so I'll take post 13 as repetition.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 05:32 am
@ughaibu,
ughaibu;144495 wrote:
Okay, so I'll take post 13 as repetition.

Not just that but, further explanation.

Lost1 phil

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 08:17 am
@dave2770,
WOW VidecorSpoon and kennethamy your very argument(s) make points for Carroll, Swift, and most of all Humpty Dumpty (in Alice in Wonderland).

If words mean whatever each individual wants them to mean, or as pointed out it works only when two are more are in agreement with said meaning...us being able to ever attempt to have these conversation here gives more credit to "being in agreement as to meaning" don't you think?

Lost1

P.S. as for the thread topic -- "How to Hide the Truth From People" -- tell lies.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » How to Hide the Truth From People.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/16/2024 at 04:01:08