the iconoclastic spirit of philosophy

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reconstructo

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 07:56 pm
@Deckard,
I've always thought Bukowski was a great prose stylist. This style of his was a perfect fit for his subject matter. To say that I have always been attracted to clarity is an understatement. At the moment, I am immersing myself in mathematics largely because it's an ideal language, and the realm of absolute form.

Now for the rest. I don't think I have ever type up a post in which I did not know exactly what I meant. "Omit needless words" is almost a motto for me, as far as style goes. Whether one should communicate at all is a differentissue.

Envy and vanity are hugely present in human interaction. I doubt that anyone is innocent of either, at least now and then. It's quite simple: we want to negate what threatens our sense of power/completion/mastery. If so-n-so is talking some sh*t we don't understand, it's so much easier to pretend that so-n-so is bluffing. I know all about this. I was inclined to agree with haters of Heidegger and Hegel. Why? Because I hadn't read them yet. Easier to pretend I wasn't missing anything. (Of course I was missing something....)

This forum is a collision of old and young, exposed and unexposed. As always, the young and unexposed are dripping with piss and vinegar, trying to convince themselves they are at no disadvantage. They cling to some shallow garbage-man philosophy, not realizing that to reduce philosophy to some lingual referee is to castrate it, to deprive it of its nobility. To bring it down to their level. Philosophy for Soccer Moms.

---------- Post added 03-10-2010 at 09:10 PM ----------

Deckard;138362 wrote:
It is also possible that you just don't understand them due to some deficiency, delusions, lack of erudition on your part.

This is something we are all loathe to believe, and yet so often the case.

---------- Post added 03-10-2010 at 09:11 PM ----------

kennethamy;137487 wrote:

In fact, a little janitorial work on this forum might be an improvement. Janitors, unite!

Assemble the herd...

---------- Post added 03-10-2010 at 09:16 PM ----------

Pyrrho;137498 wrote:
Indeed. But many people prefer to create rubbish, and imagine that is a more exalted action than being a janitor. They are simply wrong.

Is Hegel wrong? Or do you even know what he thinks? Is Heisenberg wrong, or would you just be guessing?

Your post was a fog. Who are you attacking and more importantly what assertion are you attacking? Is your enemy creativity in general? Must we have your permission to think?

---------- Post added 03-10-2010 at 09:23 PM ----------

Deckard;137799 wrote:
Progress without a goal is just movement in no particular direction or else it is not progress at all but just a preservation of the status quo, cleaning up the messes, everything in it's right place, the end of history.

Indeed. Clever animals who have lost their appetite for the profound, immersed in their happy meal. The "waste land." Of course Heidegger could have used some irony....

There are those who want philosophy practical and/or political. It just annoys them when philosophers have the gall to present something difficult, sublime, profound....

They forget that they are dying animals. & that sometimes a dying animal wants to be more than just a clever monkey. They are ignorant of the numinous, perhaps, and have never been turned on by the beauty of certain thoughts. I'll agree that it's dangerous to lose one's irony, but perhaps it's even worse to lose one's sense of excitement.

The last man is anti-profound. No one is allowed to wonder from the herd. All must be 2 + 2 = 4.

Deckard

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 09:33 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;138478 wrote:

Indeed. Clever animals who have lost their appetite for the profound, immersed in their happy meal. The "waste land." Of course Heidegger could have used some irony....

There are those who want philosophy practical and/or political. It just annoys them when philosophers have the gall to present something difficult, sublime, profound....

They forget that they are dying animals. & that sometimes a dying animal wants to be more than just a clever monkey. They are ignorant of the numinous, perhaps, and have never been turned on by the beauty of certain thoughts. I'll agree that it's dangerous to lose one's irony, but perhaps it's even worse to lose one's sense of excitement.

The last man is anti-profound. No one is allowed to wonder from the herd. All must be 2 + 2 = 4.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows." This is really where I draw the line. I have an Orwellian phobia that might be considered irrational by some but nevertheless, I won't back down 2+2=4, end of story.

That said, there are many ways to waste people's time including boring them with dry discourse or nitpicking at their every word rather than recognizing the real issue at hand. Maybe 2 + 2 equaling 4 is not the real issue.

That said, as hard as it is to face we must face it: sometimes the truth is boring.

That said, perhaps we can "Make it new".

That said...

That said...

That said...

Reconstructo

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 10:07 pm
@Deckard,
Deckard;138508 wrote:
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows." This is really where I draw the line. I have an Orwellian phobia that might be considered irrational by some but nevertheless, I won't back down 2+2=4, end of story.

That said, there are many ways to waste people's time including boring them with dry discourse or nitpicking at their every word rather than recognizing the real issue at hand. Maybe 2 + 2 equaling 4 is not the real issue.

That said, as hard as it is to face we must face it: sometimes the truth is boring.

That said, perhaps we can "Make it new".

That said...

That said...

That said...

not saying that 2 + 2 isn't 4, of course. i'm saying that it's so obvious as to be trivial. sometimes the truth is boring. of course.

make it new, yes. but also make it social. that's the crux. eccentricity for its own sake is less pure perhaps than the negative nancy pose.

i suppose one problem is that we are talking in abstractions, in order to cover much ground. ask the individual garbagemen what it is they think is garbage and i may agree with them. but i suspect it's vaguer than that. the real thought is "if i don't know it already, it's probably bunk."

yes, the real issue is intention. some don't want conversation, but only to look clever at what they think is someone else's expense. there's a force in us all that is asininity prime...

i face boring truths everyday, on the drive to work. or when i pay for groceries. we are up to our knees in boring truths.

this forum is collision of intentions. ideally, conversation is based on trust and a sincere interest in the subject at hand. too often it's something on the level of "nuh uh...my dad can beat up your dad." if one quotes, one is mistaken perhaps for an idolater. if one does not quote, one is mistaken for a plagiarist. i hate to see philosophers quoted as if they were authorities, and not because their expression was both eloquent and relevant.

Deckard

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 11:01 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;138517 wrote:
not saying that 2 + 2 isn't 4, of course. i'm saying that it's so obvious as to be trivial. sometimes the truth is boring. of course.

I imagine a version on 1984 in which O'brien tortures Winston by continually telling him that 2+2=4 and other trivial facts over and over until Winston goes mad and learns to love big brother. That's not my personal room 101 but it is quite terrifying.

Pyrrho

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 07:44 am
@Twirlip,
Twirlip;138438 wrote:
If the entry criterion for participation is to have "great thoughts", then we might as well all pack up and go home.

No, that is not what I am talking about. The problem isn't that most people don't have great thoughts; it is that many pontificate as if they did when they do not. I am content with a sensible conversation about ideas whether or not those ideas are original with the speaker.

Twirlip;138438 wrote:
But isn't the criterion rather that of being willing to have conversations?

No. It is being willing to have sensible conversations that matters. Being willing to spout drivel as if it were profound is not worthwhile, even if done interactively.

Twirlip;138438 wrote:
If someone is spouting a monologue, then one might reasonably object, and try to get them to participate in a dialogue.

If the monologue were worth hearing or reading, I would have no problem with it. Essentially, a book is a monologue, as one cannot ask it questions and interact with it as with a normal living person. But that is okay, if it is a good book.

Twirlip;138438 wrote:
And if they won't, then isn't that the problem, rather than them talking "rubbish", "crap", etc.?

The problem is the crap, but not just that. It is also presenting the crap as if it were gold, and then reacting badly to the truth about this.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 07:59 am
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;138414 wrote:
That is not quite what I had in mind. I have no problem with people keeping a notebook, or a computer file kept on their own computer, in which they write whatever pops into their heads. It may be a good first step for some people to do that. What I object to is someone promulgating this stuff when it is drivel while pretending it is profound. And what makes it worse is that after they have thrust it into the public arena, they object to people telling them the truth about it. If they don't want anyone to tell them their garbage is garbage, they would be well advised to keep it to themselves, but they do not do that and spout off their drivel, and expect others to "respect" it. If they did something worthy of respect, it would be a different matter, but I'll be damned if I am going to respect a pile of crap.

Yes, very often, reworking one's ideas is a good plan. But many people put forth the initial whim as if it were something great, when it typically is trash. It is very rare for people to have great thoughts without rethinking them, and it is rare enough even after rethinking things.

Luckily, all of us have a marvelous device that lets us cut off what we think from what we say, so we do not have to say anything idiotic. It is called, the brain.

Pyrrho

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 08:07 am
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;138453 wrote:

But why not live and let live, as Deckard says? One can briefly disagree or question without talking about garbage or drivel.

Ideas are not all of equal value. Some are good, and some are not. Everyone makes this sort of distinction, though different people have different criteria. Some are very poor at distinguishing between sense and nonsense, but everyone does make some such distinction. If not in philosophy, they do so in their ordinary lives.

Since ideas are not all of equal value, they don't all deserve an equal hearing, and they do not deserve equal respect.

You may (or may not) think it is okay for people to promote nonsense. I do not. But even so, there are probably some things that you would object to others promoting. Would you speak up if, for example, someone said that black people are inferior to white people, or that women are invariably stupid, worthless, irrational creatures? I would object to someone posting such things, and I imagine I would not be alone on that. I also happen to think that sloppy thinking leads to bad actions, and consequently it should be discouraged. There are many bad things people have done due to the sorts of things they believe and are willing to promote. Clear thinking is something that has value. If you disagree with me on that, then it would be understandable why you would not think it matters if people promote nonsensical gibberish. But if you agree that clear thinking has value, then I would expect you to be on my side on this matter of not liking gibberish presented as profound philosophy.

If you mean, why not let the other speaker live, I am not advocating the execution of idiots for their idiocy.

Jebediah

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 09:21 am
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;138595 wrote:
Ideas are not all of equal value. Some are good, and some are not. Everyone makes this sort of distinction, though different people have different criteria. Some are very poor at distinguishing between sense and nonsense, but everyone does make some such distinction. If not in philosophy, they do so in their ordinary lives.

Since ideas are not all of equal value, they don't all deserve an equal hearing, and they do not deserve equal respect.

I read your post, and I'm replying to it. Other posts I won't reply to, still others I won't even read. So, clearly I don't give all ideas equal respect.

Quote:
But even so, there are probably some things that you would object to others promoting. Would you speak up if, for example, someone said that black people are inferior to white people, or that women are invariably stupid, worthless, irrational creatures? I would object to someone posting such things, and I imagine I would not be alone on that.
Everyone has posts they would object to and be rude about. This was brought up in the "respectful people" thread as well. I think my initial point was that it was simply a disagreement about what kind of posts deserved being rude. That's the main point here.

Pyrrho wrote:
I also happen to think that sloppy thinking leads to bad actions, and consequently it should be discouraged. There are many bad things people have done due to the sorts of things they believe and are willing to promote. Clear thinking is something that has value. If you disagree with me on that, then it would be understandable why you would not think it matters if people promote nonsensical gibberish.
You may (or may not) think it is okay for people to promote nonsense. I do not.

This is the heart of the matter. If you really believe that the nonsense posts some make on this forum are going to lead to bad things being done, then you would be right to try and convince them. If someone is talking about the benefits of homeopathic medicine over real doctors for example, I can see wanting to convince them otherwise. But if you want to do that, you can't be dismissive or call their argument rubbish. People will ignore the hell out of that. And you probably aren't going to convince the people who believe the world is ending in 2012 of anything.

And this isn't even a medicine forum. It's a philosophy forum and, and most of the nonsense posts have to do with things that don't affect anybody.

Quote:
But if you agree that clear thinking has value, then I would expect you to be on my side on this matter of not liking gibberish presented as profound philosophy.
I roll my eyes a bit and ignore it. It doesn't matter if people post gibberish. This is what I meant by live and let live.

Pyrrho

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 10:20 am
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;138614 wrote:

This is the heart of the matter. If you really believe that the nonsense posts some make on this forum are going to lead to bad things being done, then you would be right to try and convince them. If someone is talking about the benefits of homeopathic medicine over real doctors for example, I can see wanting to convince them otherwise. But if you want to do that, you can't be dismissive or call their argument rubbish. People will ignore the hell out of that.

Yes, that is very often true. Notice, I am not naming names in this thread, and that is part of the reason (another part is that it is likely a violation of forum rules).

Jebediah;138614 wrote:
And you probably aren't going to convince the people who believe the world is ending in 2012 of anything.

And this isn't even a medicine forum. It's a philosophy forum and, and most of the nonsense posts have to do with things that don't affect anybody.

I roll my eyes a bit and ignore it. It doesn't matter if people post gibberish. This is what I meant by live and let live.

I think it does matter if people post rubbish, and there we have our difference of opinion.

Sloppy thinking in one area tends to lead to sloppy thinking in other areas. That is, when one is careless repeatedly, one develops a habit of carelessness. William Kingdon Clifford said it well:

Quote:
If a belief is not realized immediately in open deeds, it is stored up for the guidance of the future. It goes to make a part of that aggregate of beliefs which is the link between sensation and action at every moment of all our lives, and which is so organized and compacted together that no part of it can be isolated from the rest, but every new addition modifies the structure of the whole. No real belief, however trifling and fragmentary it may seem, is ever truly insignificant; it prepares us to receive more of its like, confirms those which resembled it before, and weakens others; and so gradually it lays a stealthy train in our inmost thoughts, which may some day explode into overt action, and leave its stamp upon our character for ever.

It is not only the leader of men, statesmen, philosopher, or poet, that owes this bounden duty to mankind. Every rustic who delivers in the village alehouse his slow, infrequent sentences, may help to kill or keep alive the fatal superstitions which clog his race. Every hard-worked wife of an artisan may transmit to her children beliefs which shall knit society together, or rend it in pieces. No simplicity of mind, no obscurity of station, can escape the universal duty of questioning all that we believe.

And, as in other such cases, it is not the risk only which has to be considered; for a bad action is always bad at the time when it is done, no matter what happens afterwards. Every time we let ourselves believe for unworthy reasons, we weaken our powers of self-control, of doubting, of judicially and fairly weighing evidence. We all suffer severely enough from the maintenance and support of false beliefs and the fatally wrong actions which they lead to, and the evil born when one such belief is entertained is great and wide. But a greater and wider evil arises when the credulous character is maintained and supported, when a habit of believing for unworthy reasons is fostered and made permanent. If I steal money from any person, there may be no harm done by the mere transfer of possession; he may not feel the loss, or it may prevent him from using the money badly. But I cannot help doing this great wrong towards Man, that I make myself dishonest. What hurts society is not that it should lose its property, but that it should become a den of thieves; for then it must cease to be society. This is why we ought not to do evil that good may come; for at any rate this great evil has come, that we have done evil and are made wicked thereby. In like manner, if I let myself believe anything on insufficient evidence, there may be no great harm done by the mere belief; it may be true after all, or I may never have occasion to exhibit it in outward acts. But I cannot help doing this great wrong towards Man, that I make myself credulous. The danger to society is not merely that it should believe wrong things, though that is great enough; but that it should become credulous, and lose the habit of testing things and inquiring into them; for then it must sink back into savagery.

The harm which is done by credulity in a man is not confined to the fostering of a credulous character in others, and consequent support of false beliefs. Habitual want of care about what I believe leads to habitual want of care in others about the truth of what is told to me. Men speak the truth to one another when each reveres the truth in his own mind and in the other's mind; but how shall my friend revere the truth in my mind when I myself am careless about it, when I believe things because I want to believe them, and because they are comforting and pleasant? Will he not learn to cry, "Peace," to me, when there is no peace? By such a course I shall surround myself with a thick atmosphere of falsehood and fraud, and in that I must live. It may matter little to me, in my cloud-castle of sweet illusions and darling lies; but it matters much to Man that I have made my neighbours ready to deceive. The credulous man is father to the liar and the cheat; he lives in the bosom of this his family, and it is no marvel if he should become even as they are. So closely are our duties knit together, that whoso shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

The Ethics of Belief

Of course, Clifford had in mind false beliefs rather than something so lowly as nonsense, but spouting nonsense is often accompanied by false beliefs. If one's standards are so low as to not even make meaningful statements, there will be little to hinder the formation of false beliefs.

I might also add, if one lives in a democracy, how other people vote affects you, and how they vote is affected by what they believe. If they believe all sorts of foolishness, the likely result are foolish laws and politicians who are not only foolish, but dishonest as well.

It may be that my efforts will have little effect in the overall scheme of things, but the stakes are very significant. It is not a trivial matter that so many people have so little regard for getting at the truth of things.

Twirlip

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 10:50 am
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;138591 wrote:
It is being willing to have sensible conversations that matters. Being willing to spout drivel as if it were profound is not worthwhile, even if done interactively.

I still think that you are setting the bar too high.

I have seldom managed to have a sensible conversation with anybody in my life. I have some sensible and interesting ones with my daughter (presumably because we are well tuned into one another); I had some fairly sensible and fairly interesting ones with a friend I met at university (before medication prescribed for depression drove him clinically insane); I had some inspiring conversations on the Internet with a Muslim cleric and academic (before he blew his brains out); otherwise, conversations about non-trivial matters in which I and the other party regard each other as basically sane and intelligent are few and far between.

I content myself with conversations that are not completely one-sided. If each speaker is listening to the other, we're doing pretty well - that's rare enough!

I have long accepted that people are all pretty crazy, and I'm pathetically grateful for such small scraps of sanity as I can find here and there.

I share some of your frustration; but if I were to react only out of all the intense intellectual frustration I feel, I would have to become a monk and take a vow of silence.

Pyrrho;138591 wrote:
Essentially, a book is a monologue, as one cannot ask it questions and interact with it as with a normal living person. But that is okay, if it is a good book.

In this respect, I am just the opposite, and set higher standards than yours: I am not happy if someone talks to me as if they were a book, when they are not a book. I would be a little more worried, however, if a book were suddenly to start talking to me as if it were a person! :perplexed:

I still think that willingness to participate in a genuine dialogue is, and should remain, the sole criterion.

But if you wish to persuade me otherwise, I'm listening! :shifty:

Perhaps we should discuss what a "genuine dialogue" is (as opposed to a "sensible conversation")?

kennethamy

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 12:53 pm
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;138614 wrote:

This is the heart of the matter. If you really believe that the nonsense posts some make on this forum are going to lead to bad things being done, then you would be right to try and convince them. If someone is talking about the benefits of homeopathic medicine over real doctors for example, I can see wanting to convince them otherwise. But if you want to do that, you can't be dismissive or call their argument rubbish. People will ignore the hell out of that. And you probably aren't going to convince the people who believe the world is ending in 2012 of anything.

From The Analects of Confucius, Book 13, Verse 3 (James R. Ware, translated in 1980.)

Tsze-lu said, "The ruler of Wei has been waiting for you, in order with you to administer the government. What will you consider the first thing to be done?"

The Master replied, "What is necessary is to rectify names." "So! indeed!" said Tsze-lu. "You are wide of the mark! Why must there be such rectification?"

The Master said, "How uncultivated you are, Yu! A superior man, in regard to what he does not know, shows a cautious reserve.

"If names be not correct, language is not in accordance with the truth of things. If language be not in accordance with the truth of things, affairs cannot be carried on to success.

"When affairs cannot be carried on to success, proprieties and music do not flourish. When proprieties and music do not flourish, punishments will not be properly awarded. When punishments are not properly awarded, the people do not know how to move hand or foot.

"Therefore a superior man considers it necessary that the names he uses may be spoken appropriately, and also that what he speaks may be carried out appropriately. What the superior man requires is just that in his words there may be nothing incorrect."

Deckard

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 12:56 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;138591 wrote:

The problem is the crap, but not just that. It is also presenting the crap as if it were gold, and then reacting badly to the truth about this.

I think we need an example of crap that has been presented as gold. Then we can discuss whether it is crap or gold. It would be best if we don't choose an example from someone else's post though. Maybe something from a famous philosopher.

Twirlip

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 12:56 pm
@kennethamy,
Confucian reins, else confusion reigns?

Sorry ...

kennethamy

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 03:17 pm
@Deckard,
Deckard;138651 wrote:
I think we need an example of crap that has been presented as gold. Then we can discuss whether it is crap or gold. It would be best if we don't choose an example from someone else's post though. Maybe something from a famous philosopher.

Stove, What Is Wrong With Our Thoughts

Jebediah

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 03:26 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;138620 wrote:
Yes, that is very often true. Notice, I am not naming names in this thread, and that is part of the reason (another part is that it is likely a violation of forum rules).

We can put the issue of etiquette aside then, partly because I think we agree and partly because we have another thread for that. Play the ball not the man etc.

Pyrrho wrote:
I think it does matter if people post rubbish, and there we have our difference of opinion.

It may be that my efforts will have little effect in the overall scheme of things, but the stakes are very significant. It is not a trivial matter that so many people have so little regard for getting at the truth of things.

I think this is a strong argument for promoting clear thinking. I certainly wish it was widespread.

You are winning me over here. I was mixing in "doesn't justify being rude" and "I'm ok with letting slide personally" when I said it doesn't matter if people post gibberish. Separated from that I think it is certain that the effort should be made to be clear.

Twirlip

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 03:46 pm
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;138705 wrote:
[...] I think it is certain that the effort should be made to be clear.

Ideally, yes, we should all be clear all the time; but can't there be an intellectual division of labour - preferably not one in which the roles are fixed for all time - in which, from time to time, someone goes into a trance and shakes a bit and speaks in tongues and utters obscure prophecies and leaves a lot of ectoplasm all over the place, and then the janitors rush around tut-tutting loudly and tidying the place up for the next round? Can't we have both seance and science?

Jebediah

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 04:07 pm
@Twirlip,
Twirlip;138714 wrote:
Ideally, yes, we should all be clear all the time; but can't there be an intellectual division of labour - preferably not one in which the roles are fixed for all time - in which, from time to time, someone goes into a trance and shakes a bit and speaks in tongues and utters obscure prophecies and leaves a lot of ectoplasm all over the place, and then the janitors rush around tut-tutting loudly and tidying the place up for the next round? Can't we have both seance and science?

[CENTER][CENTER]Simple Cube Divinity is the most perfect[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]and life supporting form existing in the[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]universe and on Earth - including Earth[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]itself. Do you realize that a 4 corner[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]square rotating 1/4 turn creates a full[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]circle? A full rotated square will create[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]16 corners, 96 hours and 4 simultaneous[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]24 hour Day circles within only a single[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]imaginary cubed Earth roation. This[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]amounts to a spiraling quad helix of[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]Earth as it revolves around the Sun -[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]rotating as it revolves around the Sun,[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]to induce the value of the Sun revolving[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]about the Earth. This act demonstrates[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]that both Sun and Earth rotate around[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]each other simultaneously - thus creating[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]Opposites existing only as Opposites with[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]a zero value existence between the binary[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]and cancelling to nothing as One or[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]God theism. All Creation occurs between[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]Opposites, and exists only as Opposites -[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]with a zero value existence. As One or as[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]a Godism, all Opposite values cancel out[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]to nothing. The Circle you see around[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]Earth divides Earth into Opposite values[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]equal to a zero existence. As One or God,[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]both Earth and Human cancel to nothing.[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]The whole of the Universe is composed of[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]Opposites - with a zero value existence -[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]that camcels to nothing as One or a God.[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]Humans worship ONEness of DEATH,[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]thus they are destroying the LIFE of all[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]Opposites by which all Creation exists. I[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]have found Evil lies in the Bible that will[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]rock religious and academic values to their[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]primitive origin. There is no Human or[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]God who can match my Cube Wisdom[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]as a Cube Phenomenoligist - The Cube[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]God Measurer. While the Circle of Earth[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]rotation is a perpetual enbodiment as it[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]is void of the Corner Time notches that[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]accumulate as aging Life for the 4 corner[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]residents. Have you mentality to know 4[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]Days rotating simultaneously on Earth?[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]***********************************************************************************************************[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]

Twirlip

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 04:18 pm
@Jebediah,
But isn't that sort of thing also liable to fail my test of willingness to participate in a dialogue?

If it really is nonsense (I for one certainly can make no sense of it), then isn't the person uttering it likely to be doing so in bad faith, and therefore be unwilling to enter into an honest discussion of what they mean (if even if granted good faith on the part of their questioners)?

And if someone writing such stuff does make an effort to explain it, then who knows, we might learn something!

Jebediah

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 04:34 pm
@Twirlip,
Twirlip;138726 wrote:
But isn't that sort of thing also liable to fail my test of willingness to participate in a dialogue?

If it really is nonsense (I for one certainly can make no sense of it), then isn't the person uttering it likely to be doing so in bad faith, and therefore be unwilling to enter into an honest discussion of what they mean (if even if granted good faith on the part of their questioners)?

And if someone writing such stuff does make an effort to explain it, then who knows, we might learn something!

But do you think we will really learn something if we understood it? We could ask him to explain it more clearly sure.

I feel like there's a level of obscurity where the fact that the person is being that incoherent means they won't make enough sense of your arguments for it to be worthwhile. Because understanding arguments requires the same skill set as formulating them. Deficiency in one indicates deficiency in the other. I don't think it's a question of unwillingness.

Although the question of willingness is certainly an important one. You absolutely have to be willing to debate and defend your own ideas.

Twirlip

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 04:47 pm
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;138729 wrote:
I feel like there's a level of obscurity where the fact that the person is being that incoherent means they won't make enough sense of your arguments for it to be worthwhile.

Very likely, yes.

Liberal and open-minded though I am, I have learned the hard way to cross the street sometimes to avoid certain groups of people based purely on how they look, e.g. if they are all white youths wearing baseball caps and/or hoods, even though some young people answering that description are perfectly pleasant. Better safe than sorry, sometimes!

And as with style of dress, so with style of speech and writing; like everyone, I have my prejudices.

But prejudice is not, or should not be, the test; it is just an anticipation of the likely outcome of the test. On an anonymous, moderated forum, the stakes are low: we are not going to get mugged if we unwisely give some malicious lunatic the benefit of the doubt.

(On an unmoderated or poorly moderated forum, it is different, because all it takes is one lunatic or troll to make such a forum unusable. Anonymity is also important, e.g. in the Usenet newsgroup sci.math, one madman literally threatened me with an axe, and I wasn't even posting anonymously, so I was really scared that he might find out where I lived!)

I still say - I hope I'm not being a bore! - that the actual test should lie in dialogue. No-one should face censure for talking "rubbish"; but they can reasonably be censured for not talking in a way which respects their listeners (assuming that the listeners are themselves showing respect).

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 06:24:01