Something Awful.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Something Awful.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 06:16 pm
For those of you who remember me, hello again.
A while ago I stumbled onto this forum and had a fun time thinking and talking about the various things that came up. But after a while it kinda amazed/shocked me about what kind of complicated suff was being talked about. And I had no clue what anything was about. I read and read about topics I had no clue about and I realized that these were things I had not given a thought about. And honestly, it kinda scared me. People were talking about things that I could barely read, much less understand. So I left it and forgot about it for a while. That is until recently I had realized I had no one to talk to, intelligently, about these ideas floating inside my head.
Anyway, I'm starting to ramble on. My point is, have you ever been scared of something you had no clue was?

Twirlip

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 06:23 pm
@Leviathen249,
I'm scared of almost everything, really. I've always had to struggle really hard to imagine what other people were talking about, and assumed that there was something essential missing from me. I took refuge in mathematics (because it was silent and apparently not at all social, like me), but then when I had to talk to people about it, I became even more scared of it than anything else!

I like your quotation: "Only after disaster can we be resurrected."

---------- Post added 03-05-2010 at 12:29 AM ----------

And this scared me:
http://www.philosophyforum.com/philosophy-forums/branches-philosophy/metaphysics/7841-help-confronting-creative-colony-mind.html

kennethamy

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 06:33 pm
@Leviathen249,
Leviathen249;136166 wrote:
A while ago I stumbled onto this forum and had a fun time thinking and talking about the various things that came up. But after a while it kinda amazed/shocked me about what kind of complicated suff was being talked about. And I had no clue what anything was about. I read and read about topics I had no clue about and I realized that these were things I had not given a thought about. And honestly, it kinda scared me. People were talking about things that I could barely read, much less understand. So I left it and forgot about it for a while. That is until recently I had realized I had no one to talk to, intelligently, about these ideas floating inside my head.
Anyway, I'm starting to ramble on. My point is, have you ever been scared of something you had no clue was?

The Beast in the Jungle Henry James. That is what that short story is all about. I commend it to you.

sometime sun

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 06:44 pm
@Leviathen249,

Sounds like you are afriad of yourself.
Dont be, you are the best friend you are ever going to have and the most interesting.
You know more about one thing that no one else ever will know more about, you are the authority on one thing no one will ever fully recognise, insert yourself, because to take it away only damages your best friend, insert yourself.
You are all yours.
You've got to make yourself available for others to come close to finding you.

Leviathen249

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 06:53 pm
@sometime sun,
kennethamy;136180 wrote:
The Beast in the Jungle Henry James. That is what that short story is all about. I commend it to you.

Thanks, I'll give it a look. Smile

sometime sun;136187 wrote:
Sounds like you are afriad of yourself.
Dont be, you are the best friend you are ever going to have and the most interesting.
You know more about one thing that no one else ever will know more about, you are the authority on one thing no one will ever fully recognise, insert yourself, because to take it away only damages your best friend, insert yourself.
You are all yours.
You've got to make yourself available for others to come close to finding you.

I think it wasn't necessarily me being afraid of myself, rather the ideas being presented to me. Ya know?

sometime sun

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 06:56 pm
@Leviathen249,
There is also more to fear from the self than anywhere else.

Leviathen249

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 07:05 pm
@Leviathen249,
Can you explain why you think so?

sometime sun

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 07:19 pm
@Leviathen249,
Because we own ourselves our self and nothing else in the universe owns or can be owned by that which is self, for instance...............imagine owning a sin?
The self cannot measure itself against a universe alone.
It is not just by the universe that binds us, bids us hello and bid us a goodbye.
We have to be able to greet ourselves self and let ourselves self go.

Pyrrho

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 11:12 pm
@Leviathen249,

If you don't understand something, it could be for many different reasons. Here are some possibilities:

1. The writing is poor, so it is unclearly expressed.
  2. You don't have enough knowledge to be able to understand the expressions.
  3. The material you are reading is nonsensical, so no one knows what it means, because it is meaningless. (People may know that it lacks a meaning, but it would be wrong to say that they know what it means, because it does not have a meaning. It would be good to be able to distinguish between sense and nonsense, though many people are extremely bad at this. Typically, this is something to be suspicious about when someone cannot clearly explain what they mean. And see this.)
  4. You are not intelligent enough to understand it.

There may be other possibilities, in addition to the fact that there may be some combination of the above possibilities (in fact, all four could appear in a single post). If it is 1 or 3, it is not your fault that you do not understand it, and you should not feel bad about it at all. In fact, the author should feel bad about it, but probably does not. If it is 2, you could study the matter more and then you could understand it, though if it is a matter of little importance to you, it may not be worthwhile. If it is 4, then you will never understand it and there is nothing to be done about it.

Overall, I would say that you should probably not be too concerned, but you might want to see if you can figure out which of the above describes the particular situations that you have encountered, if for no other reason than to feel better about yourself when you discover examples of 1 and 3.

If philosophy is a major interest for you, you might want to take a couple of college classes on it, like Introduction to Philosophy and Introduction to Logic (or Critical Thinking), if you have not already done so. There may be a community college nearby that would have such classes for very little money.

mister kitten

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 02:53 pm
@Leviathen249,

Afraid of being alone in your types of thoughts?

Leviathen249

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 08:33 pm
@mister kitten,
mister kitten;136604 wrote:
Afraid of being alone in your types of thoughts?

Yea actually, at least at home.

Pyrrho;136363 wrote:
If you don't understand something, it could be for many different reasons. Here are some possibilities:

1. The writing is poor, so it is unclearly expressed.
  2. You don't have enough knowledge to be able to understand the expressions.
  3. The material you are reading is nonsensical, so no one knows what it means, because it is meaningless. (People may know that it lacks a meaning, but it would be wrong to say that they know what it means, because it does not have a meaning. It would be good to be able to distinguish between sense and nonsense, though many people are extremely bad at this. Typically, this is something to be suspicious about when someone cannot clearly explain what they mean. And see this.)
  4. You are not intelligent enough to understand it.

There may be other possibilities, in addition to the fact that there may be some combination of the above possibilities (in fact, all four could appear in a single post). If it is 1 or 3, it is not your fault that you do not understand it, and you should not feel bad about it at all. In fact, the author should feel bad about it, but probably does not. If it is 2, you could study the matter more and then you could understand it, though if it is a matter of little importance to you, it may not be worthwhile. If it is 4, then you will never understand it and there is nothing to be done about it.

Overall, I would say that you should probably not be too concerned, but you might want to see if you can figure out which of the above describes the particular situations that you have encountered, if for no other reason than to feel better about yourself when you discover examples of 1 and 3.

If philosophy is a major interest for you, you might want to take a couple of college classes on it, like Introduction to Philosophy and Introduction to Logic (or Critical Thinking), if you have not already done so. There may be a community college nearby that would have such classes for very little money.

I'm sure, out of those choices, that it is 2. Because I'm so young, 17, that I might not be able to grasp these subjects because I have never been introduced to them before. :/
Oh well, hopefully it well get better. Smile

mister kitten

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 08:42 pm
@Leviathen249,
Leviathen249;138057 wrote:

I'm sure, out of those choices, that it is 2. Because I'm so young, 17, that I might not be able to grasp these subjects because I have never been introduced to them before. :/

Don't worry, everyone starts out exactly like you-not being introduced beforehand.

bmcreider

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 12:13 am
@Leviathen249,
Let me just say this...

When I was 17 I was a rebellious, wreckless kid driving too fast in my mom's car.

Outside of personal hobbies and interests, I never thought of anything universally "meaningful" like religion or philosophy until I was 22. I am 24 now.

So - you are doing better than most in regards to your concerns posted in your OP. At least, IMHO.

Pyrrho

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 08:30 am
@Leviathen249,

Although there is a good chance that it has been 2 on more than one occasion, I have read enough posts here to know that 1 and 3 are extremely likely as well. And I am far from alone in that thought, as people have been openly accused of these things occasionally (though certainly not in all cases where it is deserved). Just do a search for words like "nonsense" and see what pops up. Of course, I do not mean to suggest that all such accusations are true; I merely mean that such a problem is common and that I am not the only one who has noticed it.

Ding an Sich

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 08:54 am
@Leviathen249,

Youre young and you have plenty of time to get into the wonderful world of philosophy. I would suggest giving yourself a proper foundation in both logic and philosophy basics and finding a philosopher that you really like. if you like philosophy (and I am sure you will) you wont stop. Philosophy is a lifetime. DOnt forget if you have questions, just ask me or anyone else on this forum. Im sure there are others who are willing to help.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Something Awful.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 01:35:49