Christopher Michael Langan

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Christopher Michael Langan

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

William

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 06:43 am
I have been participating in this forum for almost 16 months now and this man's name has never cropped up; at least that I know of. I just learned of him yesterday. So without further ado, please if any of you have never heard of him do a little browsing. I am reserving my opinion for now only to say this is the most normal, down to Earth Genius who earns/earned his living as a bar bouncer who is noted as the "smartest" man in America, if not the world. I have always been a bit on the back burner when it comes to defining what smart is but if this individual is what smart is, he is eons ahead of what others "think" it means. I could be wrong. what do you think and thanks.

Your comments please,

William

Twirlip

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 05:19 pm
@William,
This:
Cognitive-Theoretic Model of the Universe
reminds me of this:
Understand - a novelette by Ted Chiang
I gave up after a few paragraphs. And not just because it is in a bright blue font against a black background.
(The former, I mean. The latter is a good story.)

---------- Post added 02-27-2010 at 11:26 PM ----------

Dang site (maze of websites, rather) has frames. Try this instead:
Introduction to the CTMU - Christopher Michael Langan
(I feel like a not very bright rat in a maze.)

William

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 06:42 pm
@William,
[QUOTE WIKI] He has recently been profiled in Malcolm Gladwell's book Outliers: The Story of Success, where Gladwell looks at the reasons behind why Langan was unable to flourish in a university environment. Gladwell writes that although Langan "read deeply in philosophy, mathematics, and physics" as he worked on the CTMU, "without academic credentials, he despairs of ever getting published in a scholarly journal". Gladwell's profile on Langan mainly portrayed him as an example of an individual who failed to realize his potential in part because of poor social skills resulting from, in Gladwell's speculation, being raised in poverty. [QUOTE]

What Gladwell doesn't know is clarity of thought such as Langan has cannot be compromised by such trophies as academic credentials. He has no peer to impress or argue with and will not lose self in being spectacle desperate for recognition. Langan knows his potential and his limitations as most unassuming individuals of truth do and is not out to prove his worth to anyone. If what langan espouses is indeed truth, he doesn't have to shout; it will be heard someday. On this you can be assured.

William

---------- Post added 02-28-2010 at 08:22 PM ----------

Here is an interview with him. Part 1. It has 3 parts. Done to Earth and completely unassuming.

YouTube - chris langan (part 1)

William

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Christopher Michael Langan
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 06:02:35