Do you believe *in*?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Pyrrho

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 05:43 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;132001 wrote:
It may be that my task is unclear. I am seeking the connection between believe in and believe. The point of the thread was not merely to note that the phrase has more than one meaning, though I do find that interesting.

No, I agree. I don't think I have a clear mind, so I am not providing you clear language in regards to what my intentions were. So, I'll stop here and regroup with you a little later once I flesh some of this out.

I think your task would be easiest if one first looks up the word in an ordinary dictionary:

Quote:

[INDENT]-verb (used without object)[/INDENT]
  1. to have confidence in the truth, the existence, or the reliability of something, although without absolute proof that one is right in doing so: Only if one believes in something can one act purposefully.

-verb (used with object)
  2. to have confidence or faith in the truth of (a positive assertion, story, etc.); give credence to.

3. to have confidence in the assertions of (a person).

4. to have a conviction that (a person or thing) is, has been, or will be engaged in a given action or involved in a given situation:The fugitive is believed to be headed for the Mexican border.

5. to suppose or assume; understand (usually fol. by a noun clause): I believe that he has left town.

-Verb phrase
  6. believe in,
    1. to be persuaded of the truth or existence of: to believe in Zoroastrianism; to believe in ghosts.
    2. to have faith in the reliability, honesty, benevolence, etc., of: I can help only if you believe in me.

-Idiom
  7. make believe. make (def. 46).

Believe | Define Believe at Dictionary.com

Zetherin

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 05:45 pm
@Zetherin,
Pyrrho wrote:
I think your task would be easiest if one first looks up the word in an ordinary dictionary:

Alright.Now explain why.

If I already know what "believe" means, how does this help?

(Do not interpret this as me dismissing what you are saying. I am not. I am sincerely asking to explain why.)

Emil

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 05:46 pm
@Zetherin,
Funny that you mention this. Take a look at my blog.

Clear Language, Clear Mind Blog Archive Translating "x believe(s) in y" into "x believes that z"

Zetherin

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 05:51 pm
@Emil,
Emil;132027 wrote:

Haha, that's interesting we were pondering about the same thing. And perhaps I need to do a table like that. I am very unclear as to what some of these "believe in"'s mean (what beliefs they imply). For instance, what does "I believe in my country" translate to? Surely the person in question isn't saying they believe the country exists. Perhaps they are saying they believe in some ideal? Perhaps that ideal is patriotism? But this isn't too clear. Maybe you can help me out.

It just seems to me some of these "believe in"'s may be meaningless (like a lot of mystical language), and if so, I'd like to find out which ones are. Well, not specific examples, but maybe categories. You know, to try to flesh this out.

GoshisDead

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 05:58 pm
@Emil,
Seems to be a bit, (and by a bit, I mean totally) offtrack to tell someone who is delving into the realm of language how it is spoken to use prescribed language means to describe the examples of language how it is spoken.

Emil

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 06:00 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;132029 wrote:
Haha, that's interesting we were pondering about the same thing. And perhaps I need to do a table like that. I am very unclear as to what some of these "believe in"'s are claiming to be believed. For instance, what is "I believe in my country"? Surely the person saying this is not saying they believe the country exists. Perhaps they are saying they believe in some ideal? Perhaps that ideal is patriotism? But this isn't too clear. Maybe you can help me out.

It just seems to me some of these "believe in"'s may be meaningless (like a lot of mystical language), and if so, I'd like to find out which ones are.

I don't think the matter is worth pursuing. People who say these things probably hardly know what they mean themselves or don't really mean anything by it. However as you can see, I noted that the meaning is often unclear with abstract objects though I can find counter-examples too. ("I believe in abstract objects." means "I believe that abstract objects exist."). Maybe existence is generally meant when there is sufficient disagreement about whether the object of belief exists or not. I believe in (biological) evolution also means that I believe that evolution exists (though we use the word happens instead). Evolution is not the kind of thing that can be true/false, but evolutionary theory can be true/false.

In any case, any serious thinker will probably not write such unclear sentences and people that do write (or say) them are either not aware of their unclarity or were being careless with their language use or were trying to be unclear or something similar.

GoshisDead

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 06:20 pm
@Emil,
Emil;132038 wrote:
I don't think the matter is worth pursuing. People who say these things probably hardly know what they mean themselves or don't really mean anything by it. However as you can see, I noted that the meaning is often unclear with abstract objects though I can find counter-examples too. ("I believe in abstract objects." means "I believe that abstract objects exist."). Maybe existence is generally meant when there is sufficient disagreement about whether the object of belief exists or not. I believe in (biological) evolution also means that I believe that evolution exists (though we use the word happens instead). Evolution is not the kind of thing that can be true/false, but evolutionary theory can be true/false.

In any case, any serious thinker will probably not write such unclear sentences and people that do write (or say) them are either not aware of their unclarity or were being careless with their language use or were trying to be unclear or something similar.

People do know exactly what they are saying when they use I believe in versus I believe. If they did not know the difference they would not use them correctly. By correctly I mean in a lingusitically unmarked fashion that does not strike the average listener as awkward. Thus is the reason the experts say that a first language is acquired not learned. Along with the language one acquires all the socio-cultural ideologies and functionalities that influence the use of the language. The question here is the disambiguation of a non-load bearing morpheme. In ceases to be a word and becomes a functional semantic modifier. It stops having the "typical" (in) sense and takes on the function of value placement within an ideological system. In effect it becomes part of the verb changing the verb's meaning.

Yet a dictionary definition does not cover the OP's query because there are several grammatical featurs that cannot be covered easily by a simple definition, such as some of them I have already presented like definitness. these grammatical functions as they interact with the general ideological makup of the language group make this inquiry very interesting and inherently unclear as the modified sense of "believe in" must have a corresponding ideological system for the thing being believed in's value placement.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 06:25 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;132029 wrote:
Haha, that's interesting we were pondering about the same thing. And perhaps I need to do a table like that. I am very unclear as to what some of these "believe in"'s mean (what beliefs they imply). For instance, what does "I believe in my country" translate to? Surely the person in question isn't saying they believe the country exists. Perhaps they are saying they believe in some ideal? Perhaps that ideal is patriotism? But this isn't too clear. Maybe you can help me out.

It just seems to me some of these "believe in"'s may be meaningless (like a lot of mystical language), and if so, I'd like to find out which ones are. Well, not specific examples, but maybe categories. You know, to try to flesh this out.

Probably something like, "I believe my country will do what is right". "I trust it to do what is right". "Belief" here just means "trust", so far as I can tell. It is like Finch (in "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying") singing to himself, "I believe in you". Meaning something like, "I trust you (me) to succeed".

Baal

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 06:34 pm
@Zetherin,
The particle "in" shows a kind of personal relationship to the object in question. "believing in abstract objects" does not mean "abstract objects exist"; one can have "trust in god", but this does not mean that god exists, one can "have faith in the morality of the nation" but that does not mean the "there is morality among the people".

One can "feel a burning love within me", but one does not "feel an ache in my stomach". The particle "in" is special, and so is any particle that tries to limit and delineate in-situ the object in question.

In Hebrew, for example, there is no "believe" without a following particle, either "to", "in", or "that", the first being an implied "that", e.g. affirming the validity of a person's statements or otherwise.

One is not careless with language, language is inherently brutal to those who do not know it or speak it natively and vice versa. We often do not like what people mean, and we often wish people would mean what we want them to mean, but this is simply a matter of style and perspective, it is not an absolute quality that is less or more present in any given sentence.

That being said, one does not "Try" with language, if that language is their native tongue and has an affinity with them. One can only try to do something which is out of reach, one can only try when there is a gradient of success and failure -- and with language the only gradient is that of cultural affinity to the language and its environs in the first place.

Pyrrho

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 06:36 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;132026 wrote:
Alright.Now explain why.

If I already know what "believe" means, how does this help?

(Do not interpret this as me dismissing what you are saying. I am not. I am sincerely asking to explain why.)

The relationship between "believes" and "believes in" is pretty clear from a comparison of the various definitions. If we look at definition 1 of "believe", we can see that it involves the ambiguity of "believe in", as it says "to have confidence in the truth, the existence, or the reliability of something". So that it could be about existence, or about something else, like reliability. "I believe Tom" is likely to be used to mean that I have confidence in the reliability of what Tom says, or what Tom does (or, if we wish to make it without an object, "I believe", said to Tom or about Tom, will have much the same meaning). This makes it very much like 6b, which deals with "believe in". Of course, "believe", by definition 1, may be about existence, which makes it very much like 6a, which deals with "believe in". In other words, there is not anything terribly special or unique that is added to the concept of "believe" by adding "in" after it. Definitions 2-5 add further support to this idea. Or to say the same thing in different words, "believe in" does not fundamentally alter the meaning of "believe".

kennethamy

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 06:45 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;132066 wrote:
The relationship between "believes" and "believes in" is pretty clear from a comparison of the various definitions. If we look at definition 1 of "believe", we can see that it involves the ambiguity of "believe in", as it says "to have confidence in the truth, the existence, or the reliability of something". So that it could be about existence, or about something else, like reliability. "I believe Tom" is likely to be used to mean that I have confidence in the reliability of what Tom says, or what Tom does (or, if we wish to make it without an object, "I believe", said to Tom or about Tom, will have much the same meaning). This makes it very much like 6b, which deals with "believe in". Of course, "believe", by definition 1, may be about existence, which makes it very much like 6a, which deals with "believe in". In other words, there is not anything terribly special or unique that is added to the concept of "believe" by adding "in" after it. Definitions 2-5 add further support to this idea. Or to say the same thing in different words, "believe in" does not fundamentally alter the meaning of "believe".

Yes. "Belief" is always directed at some proposition. It is always, "Belief that". So, "I believe in God" is ambiguous as between, "I believe that God exists" or, "I believe that God is trustworthy". The latter can be shortened to, "I trust in God".

Zetherin

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 06:47 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;132066 wrote:

I think this is correct. I convoluted the matter. I think I should stop now before I attract a shitshow.

Sorry everyone.

Pyrrho

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 06:50 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;132053 wrote:
People do know exactly what they are saying when they use I believe in versus I believe. If they did not know the difference they would not use them correctly. By correctly I mean in a lingusitically unmarked fashion that does not strike the average listener as awkward. ...

Your assumption is incorrect. Many years ago, I studied German in college. On a test, one of the parts required taking a German paragraph, and paraphrasing it in German. I was able to do this perfectly, as marked by the teacher. However, there were a few key words in it that I did not understand, but I knew that they were nouns or verbs or whatever, and so I was able to put them together in proper sentences, and was able to say some things about those words, because I understood the other words that were written about them. But I had no idea what the paragraph was about, and I never knew what it was about.

Rather interestingly, I regard the lesson I learned from that to be more important than learning the German words (though learning them would have been a good thing).

Likewise, someone may form sentences that are grammatically correct in their native language, but without any clear understanding of what it is that they are saying. Or they may, as it used to be said, simply parrot sentences that they have heard before, without any understanding at all.

The ability to put together proper sentences is not the same as understanding them, and it is a mistake to confuse these two ideas. In practice, one can find out that someone does not understand what they are saying if questioned about it and they are not able to explain what they mean. And if one does that, one can find that it is far from rare for someone to be able to construct a grammatically correct sentence that they themselves fail to understand.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 06:54 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;132073 wrote:
Your assumption is incorrect. Many years ago, I studied German in college. On a test, one of the parts required taking a German paragraph, and paraphrasing it in German. I was able to do this perfectly, as marked by the teacher. However, there were a few key words in it that I did not understand, but I knew that they were nouns or verbs or whatever, and so I was able to put them together in proper sentences, and was able to say some things about those words, because I understood the other words that were written about them. But I had no idea what the paragraph was about, and I never knew what it was about.

Rather interestingly, I regard the lesson I learned from that to be more important than learning the German words (though learning them would have been a good thing).

Likewise, someone may form sentences that are grammatically correct in their native language, but without any clear understanding of what it is that they are saying. Or they may, as it used to be said, simply parrot sentences that they have heard before, without any understanding at all.

The ability to put together proper sentences is not the same as understanding them, and it is a mistake to confuse these two ideas. In practice, one can find out that someone does not understand what they are saying if questioned about it and they are not able to explain what they mean. And if one does that, one can find that it is far from rare for someone to be able to construct a grammatically correct sentence that they themselves fail to understand.

Chinese Room Argument [Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy]

GoshisDead

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 06:58 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho,
you have just illustrated the point I made between acquisition and learning.

Pyrrho

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 06:59 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;132072 wrote:

Pyrrho;132066 wrote:

I think this is correct. I convoluted the matter. I think I should stop now before I attract a shitshow.

Sorry everyone.

You should not feel too bad about what you were doing. As I stated previously, you were attempting to clarify, rather than what often happens when people are not as careful as they ought to be. And you should be commended for attempting to clarify matters, even if your approach was ultimately not the best. Many people just muddle things up without any attempt at clarity, which is a most unfortunate matter, and which is a vice you have not fallen into in this thread.

Baal

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 07:08 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;132073 wrote:

When one uses words, he knows what those words mean, or rather he knows what he intends to convey using those words and is aware of other words yet chooses to use those words as those are the words which he has deemed fit for such a particular meaning. This process is due to the adoption and immersion in the cultural landscape. By 'awareness', I mean that the speaker has included the ultimate meaning, (the message) within his understanding and perception of his language. The meaning itself may be abstract, it may not make sense, but nevertheless it is assigned a set of signs which are mapped to this particular message - this particular meaning, and no other. It is a reflex more than a conscious thought process. What one manages to produce as a paraphrasing of another sentence is yet another set of messages, a different meaning in and of itself which necessarily negates the actual words being paraphrased.

One may indeed have a relative idea of the structure of a language, its tendencies, etc. and thus in that regard will perhaps know enough to use some words in order to convey a superficial, perhaps mangled message which can be taken in sympathetic light by native speakers (though not always), but this does not mean that the speaker is able to use words without knowing their meaning. This also does not preclude the possibility that a speaker who does not know a particular word may actually employ it correctly, but rather that this speaker is bound to eventually be hammered into place by native speakers in respect to usage.

And in respect to parot sentences, a 'parrot sentence' is in itself its own meaning.. just like words like 'definitive' has a meaning different from 'definite', and different from 'finite', and also different from 'finish' - though for a phillologist or linguist they are similar. Remember that a 'word' is an arbitrary boundary, there are no words. Rather the intent here is to convey that a native speaker will use a certain set of words because there is a reason to do so, because the speaker feels those words convey more of the meaning than a different combination or some such. The opposite is also true when it comes to actually listening to other speakers, a conversant will detect an odd combination of words, and wil find it revolting to the senses..

Pyrrho

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 07:35 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;132076 wrote:
Pyrrho;132073 wrote:

Chinese Room Argument [Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy]

There is an important difference between my story and the Chinese Room Argument: I am sure that my teacher, had she questioned me about the matter, rather than had the paraphrase as part of a written assignment, could have discovered my lack of understanding. Thus, with the proper questions, I would have failed the Turing test. But I was able to manage all that was actually asked of me. My lack of understanding was revealable, but it was not in fact revealed.

If you wish to discuss the Chinese Room, you might want to start a new thread on it.

ughaibu

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 08:32 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;131845 wrote:
I also find it interesting those things we never use "I believe in" with, constrasted with those things we would use "I believe in" with. We would never say things like, "I believe in car", or "I believe in sun", or "I believe in computer". But we would say, "I believe in money". Most strange.
As "money" is uncountable, you've sneaked in a plural, so there isn't a genuine comparison here.

Zetherin

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 08:34 pm
@ughaibu,
ughaibu;132142 wrote:
As "money" is uncountable, you've sneaked in a plural, so there isn't a genuine comparison here.

What does money being uncountable have to do with "I believe in money" having meaning?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 11:37:01