Listen to the sound of one hand clapping.

  1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Listen to the sound of one hand clapping.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 03:47 pm
Listen to the sound of one hand clapping.
Does this phrase make sense or is it just mere hogwash?
I was wondering who coined this term.
Was it Confucius Or Socrates.
I know I may be stretching it a bit between disciplines but I just had to ask.
 
GoshisDead
 
Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 06:19 pm
@SamIam74,
I'm not sure from whom this particular saying originates but it is normally attributed as a Zen Buddhist Koan, which are meditative tools designed to shock the enlightenable mind into awareness. These may have no answer, which does not mean they are inanswerable. It simply means that there may either be no right answer or any answer that reflects that the mind has arrived on par with the question and its design is right. I would not think of them as nonsensical or rhetorical or even really questions/statements but as meditative tools designed to take the meditative mind to a specific place.
 
Pyrrho
 
Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 07:57 am
@SamIam74,
SamIam74;128646 wrote:
Listen to the sound of one hand clapping.
Does this phrase make sense or is it just mere hogwash?
I was wondering who coined this term.
Was it Confucius Or Socrates.
I know I may be stretching it a bit between disciplines but I just had to ask.


It is nonsense. Just look up the word "clapping" in a dictionary to see the problem. One might as well say, Colorless green ideas sleep furiously. Or read some Lewis Carroll.
 
kennethamy
 
Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 08:14 am
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;128953 wrote:
It is nonsense. Just look up the word "clapping" in a dictionary to see the problem. One might as well say, Colorless green ideas sleep furiously. Or read some Lewis Carroll.


I rapidly and strongly pull all the fingers except for my thumb against the palm of my hand, and slap my palm with them. It makes an audible sound if you do it strongly enough. And that is the sound of one hand clapping. Where there's a will, there's a way.
 
melonkali
 
Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 08:47 am
@SamIam74,
My reflexive reaction when I hear that one is to slap the speaker in the face.
 
kennethamy
 
Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 09:08 am
@melonkali,
melonkali;128958 wrote:
My reflexive reaction when I hear that one is to slap the speaker in the face.


I see you do not appreciate imagination.
 
Pyrrho
 
Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 10:55 am
@kennethamy,
melonkali;128958 wrote:
My reflexive reaction when I hear that one is to slap the speaker in the face.


kennethamy;128964 wrote:
I see you do not appreciate imagination.


On the contrary, melonkali is trying to demonstrate the sound of one hand clapping for the person who is asking the question. It seems entirely appropriate to me.
 
 

 
  1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Listen to the sound of one hand clapping.
Copyright © 2022 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 08/12/2022 at 06:08:02