A very interesing book debut for Forum people

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » A very interesing book debut for Forum people

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

jeeprs

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 11:49 pm
'You are Not a Gadget' is a manifesto from legendary Web guru, Jaron Lanier, published January 2010. It says, in part, that

Quote:
For the most part, Web 2.0--Internet technologies that encourage interactivity, customization, and participation--is hailed as an emerging Golden Age of information sharing and collaborative achievement, the strength of democratized wisdom. Jaron Lanier isn't buying it. In You Are Not a Gadget, the longtime tech guru argues the opposite: that unfettered--and anonymous--ability to comment results in cynical mob behavior, the shouting-down of reasoned argument, and the devaluation of individual accomplishment.

I am not suggesting that we see much of that on this Forum, which is one of the reasons it is such a great place (in fact a model for how good such a facility can be.) Nevertheless, food for thought, and will, I think, be of special interest to contributors to the Forum.

Check out the book's launch page on Amazon, which features an interview with the author.

Amazon.com: You Are Not a Gadget: A Manifesto (9780307269645): Jaron Lanier: Books

Jebediah

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 12:58 am
@jeeprs,
I don't know. It's an interesting subject, but reading from the interview it kinda sounds like he's making stuff up. Computer scientist does not equal psychologist/sociologist.

I would have to read it I guess.

jeeprs

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 02:55 am
@jeeprs,
He's a serious writer, though. He has some kind of honorary position as an adviser to Microsoft and at the University of California . I for one was pleased to hear a dissenting voice on the impact of the Web instead of the usual Ooh Aah Isn't It All Fantastic. I have been in and around the tech industry since before the WWW started, and I see a lot of 'cyber-serfdom' out there.

jgweed

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 10:45 am
@jeeprs,
We are, it seems, now beginning to think through some of the problems that have arisen from the importance of the Internet; as with any technology, there are opportunities for great benefit to mankind, as well as the opposite, and I think Lanier's warning to be as reasonable and applicable as it is important.

melonkali

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 06:14 pm
@jeeprs,
I found the information at Amazon, including user reviews, interesting on several points -- don't worry, I haven't really thought through many of them, so this post will only address one.

The issue that I'd be most interested in hearing others' opinions on is how internet protocol "stifes creativity". That's not something I'd notice since I've always been oriented towards collecting and preserving tradition, history, or critiquing (in debate, I was much better at negative than affirmative). How do those gifted with the creative impulse feel about Lanier's arguments on this point?

jeeprs

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 06:52 pm
@jeeprs,
Well among other things I am a musician and composer. I have devoted a lot of my life to it, at one stage under the illusion that I would make something out of it. As is so often the case, nothing whatever has come of it, but I continue to work at it.

Now there are a billion websites out there where you, too, can upload your song ideas, and get an audience. We also now have the most amazing studio technology on desktop computers - I have Logic on an iMac, and the quality of the sounds is just amazing. In 1989 this functionality would have cost you about $200,000. If you have the dexterity and ideas, you can create studio-quality music with this gear.

Now I regard myself as quite creative - not genius level, but genuinely original and technically more competent than many. But go through the loop of uploading some of your material to these sites. It is utterly soul-destroying. Your little song, the thing that expresses some important aspect of your sensibility, is now just one among 30 million files being feverishly created by 20 million wannabees, all with the latest digital sound technolology, etc etc....

More and more, I am just playing good ol' piano now. That is one thing you can't do on a computer.

As regards 'cyberculture', a sickening note from today's news. A poor 12-yo boy was fatally stabbed in a schoolyard brawl yesterday, in a private school, in Brisbane. His friends, as they often do, put up a tribute site on Facebook. For the first few hours, it was all tributes. Apparently, by this morning, the page had been thoroughly trashed with a number of obscene messages and images of both paedophillia and bestiality. Facebook deleted it.

Now who did this? I would hazard a guess that it is the work of a whole bunch of other 12 or 13 year olds. I shudder to think of the damage being wrought on young minds by the kind of material that is freely avaiable in cyberspace. Now I don't want to open that can of worms again, it has been thoroughly canvassed on a few other threads, but again, this naive idea that 'Information wants to be free' and 'the more information the better' really needs to be criticized.

jgweed

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 11:23 am
@jeeprs,

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » A very interesing book debut for Forum people
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 04:09:08