Dyslexic

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 04:24 pm
Dyslexic,

Lazy?
Stupid?
Retarded?
 
GoshisDead
 
Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 05:00 pm
@sometime sun,
Significant hereditary learning disability? I'm dyslexic and have a masters in Anthropology one in Linguistics a BA in Anthropology and one in Archaeology and have worked as a linguist for 10 years.
 
Pythagorean
 
Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 05:19 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;127654 wrote:
Dyslexic,

Lazy?
Stupid?
Retarded?



Why would Dyslexia be related to Laziness, Stupidity or Mental Retardation? I thought it was just the inability to read letters and words from left to right.
 
sometime sun
 
Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 05:49 pm
@Pythagorean,
Pythagorean;127682 wrote:
Why would Dyslexia be related to Laziness, Stupidity or Mental Retardation? I thought it was just the inability to read letters and words from left to right.

Would an inability be a retardation?

---------- Post added 02-13-2010 at 12:01 AM ----------

GoshisDead;127679 wrote:
Significant hereditary learning disability? I'm dyslexic and have a masters in Anthropology one in Linguistics a BA in Anthropology and one in Archaeology and have worked as a linguist for 10 years.

So you are proud of this fact? Unashamed?
 
GoshisDead
 
Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 06:10 pm
@sometime sun,
Sun:
Neither proud nor ashamed, it just is, if properly treated most people can and do find coping mechanisms that allow them to succeed academically. It can be as easy as reading with blue tinted lenses in glasses or as difficult as several years of occupational therapy. I personally learned how to attack problems, texts, and math from an outside in perspective. Incorporate the whole to figure out the parts instead of infer the whole from the parts. The dyslexic array goes from simple letter transposition to dyscalculia (problems with numbers/addition/subtraction) to dysgraphia, (reading fine but writing transpositions) to dyspraxia (sequencing confusion) My little sister also has a BA in Archaeology and is highly dyspraxic. She will write a 20 page paper with entire paragraphs and sections in the wrong order, but read it back to herself and it seems fine.
 
sometime sun
 
Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 06:13 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;127688 wrote:
Sun:
Neither proud nor ashamed, it just is, if properly treated most people can and do find coping mechanisms that allow them to succeed academically. It can be as easy as reading with blue tinted lenses in glasses or as difficult as several years of occupational therapy. I personally learned how to attack problems, texts, and math from an outside in perspective. Incorporate the whole to figure out the parts instead of infer the whole from the parts. The dyslexic array goes from simple letter transposition to dyscalculia (problems with numbers/addition/subtraction) to dysgraphia, (reading fine but writing transpositions) to dyspraxia (sequencing confusion) My little sister also has a BA in Archaeology and is highly dyspraxic. She will write a 20 page paper with entire paragraphs and sections in the wrong order, but read it back to herself and it seems fine.

Were you told, or did you just know?
Did you go looking for a solution or were ordered to do so?

Unashamed? not ashamed.
You just told me you were many great things, are you more because you have this obstacle or are you just as you be without it?
Have you had to be more, or have you had to be the same?
Are you more because you have tried to be so, or have you translated yourself enough to be as others would be you? the same.
 
GoshisDead
 
Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 06:25 pm
@sometime sun,
It is possible that without them I'd be something doing else. It just so happens that the coping mechanisims I learned lean well toward social theory and linguistics. I did not learn about my dyslexia until I was 24 and in a language class that required me to learn a non-roman script. It seems that I had taught myself the coping mechanisms, but when I learned I added professional therapy to the mix and things got easier. I still add with my fingers and have quite a bit of discalculia. Maybe I would have gone a different direction. The point that was made (hopefully) is that it is not an insurrmountable stumbling block or a marker of stupidity/retardation.
 
sometime sun
 
Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 06:29 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;127690 wrote:
It is possible that without them I'd be something doing else. It just so happens that the coping mechanisims I learned lean well toward social theory and linguistics. I did not learn about my dyslexia until I was 24 and in a language class that required me to learn a non-roman script. It seems that I had taught myself the coping mechanisms, but when I learned I added professional therapy to the mix and things got easier. I still add with my fingers and have quite a bit of discalculia. Maybe I would have gone a different direction. The point that was made (hopefully) is that it is not an insurrmountable stumbling block or a marker of stupidity/retardation.

But you would agree it is a retardation? Marked or not. Markered or not.

Aren't you proud you have learned to hear a new language?
proud you have learned to speak another one?
proud you can teach yours?
 
GoshisDead
 
Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 06:50 pm
@sometime sun,
Retardation implies an inability of intellectual function that cannot be rehabilitated. A mentally retarded person cannot overcome the limitiations, thus retarded is a sort of misleading term as retardation in its primary sense not applied to mental deficiency is to slow down, which would imply that eventually the person could get there. This is not the case in mental retardation as the applied term. A learning disabilty however, which is also a misleading name as currently applied does show that the person will eventually get there with the right treatments. Yet its non-human sense would imply something that is not able to progress (dis-abled). So if you would like to call me retarded, sure in the sense that I can eventually get there I'm retarded. If you would like to call me disabled in the sense that I will eventually get there you can.

Language learning was actually made easier by the "disability" so there is really nothing to be inordinately proud of. I am proud of my life choices and academic achievements but very little of it has to do with dyslexia. I was well into my first round of grad school by the time I even knew anything was wrong. Life is , experience is. Why the seeming need to classify dyslexia as retardation and the attempt to corroborate it by painting people with it as mental martyrs and special olympic heroes going through life patting themsleves on the back for their bootstrap pulling?

People who could be "proud" in any real sense would 1) have to have the mental capacity to realize that they had overcome a disability 2) have the metnal capacity to judge peer groups,and 3) Would need to understand before overcoming the disabiltiy that it would need to be overcome or the unlikely case of having once been "normal" become disabled then regained the mental capacity to realize that they overcame a disability. this does not even recognize the personality traits and social situations required for the phrase "people who would be proud..."
 
Pythagorean
 
Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 06:54 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;127691 wrote:
But you would agree it is a retardation? Marked or not. Markered or not.

Aren't you proud you have learned to hear a new language?
proud you have learned to speak another one?
proud you can teach yours?



When you say "Retarded" in normal conversation it means that he or all people with Dyslexia are mentally retarded and have a corresponding low Intelligence. This is clearly wrong. Unless you can redefine Retardation you are in the wrong here.
 
sometime sun
 
Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 07:42 pm
@Pythagorean,
Chambers Dictionary; Retarded; not having made the expected physical or especially mental development.

Your hang ups and interpretations are your own limitations.
Not mine. I have very few prejudices.

And i am a retard. Not proud or ashamed. But a retard i am.

Talk about being ashamed of what you are.
But as we should know, what we are is not always who we are.

Another spectrum disorder is autism and we must all know that some of these can be quite brilliant if not always retarded.

As with dyslexia in essence you learn to speak bilingual first language,
i find that it can be easier to learn another languge when dyslexic.
 
Leonard
 
Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 10:21 pm
@sometime sun,
Many dyslexic people have actually been proven to outperform people without dyslexia. In fact, it may be beneficial in some ways to have it. I don't understand why anyone would want to form that correlation; dyslexia shouldn't be associated with those things.
 
GoshisDead
 
Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 01:08 pm
@Leonard,
Leo:
I find that after meeting many dyslexics that they do tend to outperform "normal" people given that they are properly motivated. Learning with dyslexia is often as simple as learning how to solve puzzles non-traditionally or some people call it lateral thinking. If a student figures this out either consciously or by acquisition they normally do very well. Many of the current dyslexic teaching techniques teach these skills through aqcusition, much like immersive language teaching skills.
 
sometime sun
 
Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 07:00 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;127928 wrote:
Leo:
I find that after meeting many dyslexics that they do tend to outperform "normal" people given that they are properly motivated. Learning with dyslexia is often as simple as learning how to solve puzzles non-traditionally or some people call it lateral thinking. If a student figures this out either consciously or by acquisition they normally do very well. Many of the current dyslexic teaching techniques teach these skills through aqcusition, much like immersive language teaching skills.

Where can i find this source material? Where can i find these techniques?
Because although as i said i am not ashamed of my own form, i have not been properly diagnosed so may even be just dyslexic light or even autistic, but i do find that i have to work harder and do find 'it' gets in my way, so would welcome any sources of learning how to turn this to my advantage. Please.
And i suppose i should also say that i am retarded (could be an over simplification here, or a need to simplify, possibly selfish?) in other ways that i am most definately if not ashamed still deeply doubtful of. Troubled.
Doubt like shame is horrible. I hate that i have doubt.
 
GoshisDead
 
Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 11:07 am
@sometime sun,
Sun:
The first and best step is to get yourself professionally diagnosed. If you are in University go to a school councelor which will direct you to your university's Students with disabilities organization, normally they will test you for free or very little cost. High schools at least in the US will normally test for free if your parent's insurance does not cover it. Once you are professionally diagnosed, at least in the United States you are coverd by the Americans with Diabilities act and the schools are required to offer special ed training/counceling/classes to help you rectify this or at the very least help you cope with it during you academic career. If you don't want to go that route the internet is here, lots of organizations and sites willing to give you tips and tricks.
 
HexHammer
 
Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 05:19 am
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;127654 wrote:
Dyslexic,

Lazy?
Stupid?
Retarded?
Oo
I don't really understand the nature of asking such questions about a simple mental disfunct.

Maybe it's more relevant to ask, why are you asking such questions?
 
sometime sun
 
Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 02:00 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;140512 wrote:
Oo
I don't really understand the nature of asking such questions about a simple mental disfunct.

Maybe it's more relevant to ask, why are you asking such questions?

Just as maybe it is relevant to ask why you do not ask questions such as these?

(Feel free to not answer me on this one)
 
HexHammer
 
Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 02:11 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;141013 wrote:
Just as maybe it is relevant to ask why you do not ask questions such as these?

(Feel free to not answer me on this one)
I will give full answer in PM, as it may contain things not in the interest of the public.
 
sometime sun
 
Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 02:57 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;141018 wrote:
I will give full answer in PM, as it may contain things not in the interest of the public.

I have no idea what you mean here, unless what you were asking in the private message was to hurt not heal, can you hurt the public if your only trying to hurt one person?
But i am probably wrong, live long, live on, be positve, be bright, but never be wrong and always be right (eous).
 
 

 
Copyright © 2020 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 03/31/2020 at 10:21:45