If Life Is Philosophy Then Why Discuss It?........Why Not Just Live It.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » If Life Is Philosophy Then Why Discuss It?........Why Not Just Live It.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

bfz

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 09:01 am
If Pinocchio Was To State,

"My Nose Will Now Grow.."

Would It?.............Or Not?

Jebediah

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 09:17 am
@bfz,
Life isn't philosophy. Philosophy affects how we live our life. We are all taught a set of ideas by our culture/religion/parents which may not be very good. So we discuss philosophy to determine better ideas and thus a better life.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 09:24 am
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;126438 wrote:
Life isn't philosophy. Philosophy affects how we live our life. We are all taught a set of ideas by our culture/religion/parents which may not be very good. So we discuss philosophy to determine better ideas and thus a better life.

Maybe some philosophy. But not all philosophy by any means.

bfz

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 10:31 am
@kennethamy,
well my philosophy is that, that was a lie...

---------- Post added 02-09-2010 at 04:34 PM ----------

I you ever wish to move the Earth itself..... you would have to;

Have a lever 6.5billion lightyears long, place it one kilometre away from the base of the Earth, move the lever one metre north and the Earth would move the distance of one Proton.........FACT

or just buy a gert black hole like .............. ask Archemedis.

HexHammer

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 05:23 am
@bfz,
bfz;126428 wrote:
If Pinocchio Was To State,

"My Nose Will Now Grow.."

Would It?.............Or Not?
Imo there's 2 kinds of philosophy.

Navel gazing
Only really serves for endulgence with words.

Constructive/pragmatic
For industrial use, for education, for sience ..etc.

Lost1 phil

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 06:00 am
@bfz,
Man's desire to be acknowledged the means and the therefore are subject to change with and without notice.

By the way we can't help but live our lives until death, "why not just live it?" What are the options?

Lost1

wayne

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 06:18 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;140513 wrote:

Navel gazing

Constructive/pragmatic

I'm lacking formal education, does navel gazing mean the same thing as multiplying words?
Part of the reason I don't seek formal ed is I'm kinda like charlie brown, after a certain point all I hear is wahwahwah, can't be helped, short attention span I guess.
That said, I find that some sentences speak volumes and may take years and much other input, output before I truly understand the full meaning.
I think this improves the quality of my life and therefore the quality of the lives around me. Does that make philosophy worthwhile?
I like to think so.

HexHammer

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 06:32 am
@wayne,
wayne;140523 wrote:
I'm lacking formal education, does navel gazing mean the same thing as multiplying words?
Part of the reason I don't seek formal ed is I'm kinda like charlie brown, after a certain point all I hear is wahwahwah, can't be helped, short attention span I guess.
That said, I find that some sentences speak volumes and may take years and much other input, output before I truly understand the full meaning.
I think this improves the quality of my life and therefore the quality of the lives around me. Does that make philosophy worthwhile?
I like to think so.
Can you please explain the meaning of multiplying words, it doesn't seem to appear in the dictionary or anywhere else.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 06:52 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;140513 wrote:

Navel gazing

Constructive/pragmatic

But, which kind of philosophy is the above?

---------- Post added 03-17-2010 at 08:55 AM ----------

wayne;140523 wrote:
I like to think so.

You mean a sentence like, "Watch out, a rock is falling!". Or a sentence like, "Unless what you claim to know is true, you cannot know it?"

Ding an Sich

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 09:57 am
@kennethamy,
Wouldnt this thread pertain more to an existential philosophy? Is that what you are getting at?

Krumple

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 11:11 am
@bfz,
If Life Is Philosophy Then Why Discuss It?........Why Not Just Live It.

I think Alan Watts said it best when asked this question. Something along the lines of;

In our lives we have this nagging sore that we just can not help but touch it, we want it to go away but it just lingers aching us. We want to find a solution for it and that solution is philosophy. The problem is when we think we have found the source of the ache something else comes along and creates a new one. Philosophy helps others to find a solution for their aches.

wayne

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 03:32 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;140524 wrote:
Can you please explain the meaning of multiplying words, it doesn't seem to appear in the dictionary or anywhere else.

It's something Solomon once said concerning the use of too many words complicating the issue and to much devotion to the written word being counter productive. Solomon was an old testament king and philosopher of a sort.

---------- Post added 03-17-2010 at 04:34 PM ----------

kennethamy;140531 wrote:
But, which kind of philosophy is the above?

---------- Post added 03-17-2010 at 08:55 AM ----------

You mean a sentence like, "Watch out, a rock is falling!". Or a sentence like, "Unless what you claim to know is true, you cannot know it?"

Hopefully the latter:bigsmile: But I have my bad days and my really bad days

HexHammer

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 01:46 am
@wayne,
wayne;140698 wrote:
It's something Solomon once said concerning the use of too many words complicating the issue and to much devotion to the written word being counter productive. Solomon was an old testament king and philosopher of a sort.
That sounds very useful to me, and I belive in a similar thing, the laconic ways.

When you involve a mass of people with information, it's best if it's short and precise, else it will take very long for each person to read it and thereby lose work time, some give up, some may misunderstand it because they resort to skimming the long message ..etc.

Laconic ftw!

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 02:05 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;140513 wrote:

Navel gazing

Constructive/pragmatic

sometime sun

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 04:22 pm
@Ding an Sich,
Because life is one long discussion, the reaosn we were born with and evolved vocal chords was to use them, just as our eyes for reading and ear for language hearing.
Discussion is living change
Discussion is change living
(do the rest your selves)

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » If Life Is Philosophy Then Why Discuss It?........Why Not Just Live It.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 06:59:05