Does philosophy change your identity?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 05:37 pm
@Oliver phil,
Oliver;128702 wrote:
In response to the original question; since I discovered Philosophy as a subject, and from what I have taken from it during that time, it can certainly be said that how I now observe and scrutinise myself, others, my environment and milieu is with entirely different means to that of my previous ways. It pleases me to think i can approach the questions of ones life a little less ignorantly than before. However, as a result i do seem to become increasingly detached from what one might call society's vanguards, or common everyday concerns, and by doing so, I have undeniably come to be far more socially unhooked and somewhat uninterested in avocations and conversations that would have formerly appealed to me.
I do regard myself to be the same person in certain respects, particularly in a moral sense: I am polite; I wish to do no harm to others, nice people really make me happy and i love good coffee, but then I would say that the 'I' that I refer to (or the 'Me'), is ('just' wouldn't be entirely suitable here) a result of exceptionally complicated neural activity. But many thanks indeed to Philosophy, as that neural activity is, id like to think, slightly more refined now.

Someone can be the same but different too. There is no contradiction. Depending on how that is understood.

Oliver phil

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 06:04 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;128706 wrote:
Someone can be the same but different too. There is no contradiction. Depending on how that is understood.

How would you lead that to be understood?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 07/26/2024 at 09:34:10