LSAT

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 01:21 pm
If nothing else, the thread started by VideCorSpoon should persuade at least some of you that thinking is a skill well worth acquiring.

Theaetetus

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 05:10 pm
@kennethamy,
What is the point of this thread? Ken, are you suggesting that some (or many?) members here are not capable of thinking? You suggest that some may not even have the skill since it something "well worth acquiring." Random comments are probably more appropriate elsewhere than as first posts of new threads--especially when they are demeaning to "some" members of the forum.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 06:28 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus;122048 wrote:
What is the point of this thread? Ken, are you suggesting that some (or many?) members here are not capable of thinking? You suggest that some may not even have the skill since it something "well worth acquiring." Random comments are probably more appropriate elsewhere than as first posts of new threads--especially when they are demeaning to "some" members of the forum.

You are far too sensitive. I was suggesting only that some posters might be encouraged to think better than they do. You really should not take it personally. Several posters are good thinkers. But some could improve- a lot. Would you disagree with that?

VideCorSpoon

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 06:51 pm
@kennethamy,
http://www.philosophyforum.com/community-forums/social-groups/pre-law-group/7397-lsat-symposia-1-intro-mastering-logic.html#post122013

Also, this is the link to the just completed Logic games section;

http://www.philosophyforum.com/community-forums/social-groups/pre-law-group/7402-lsat-symposia-2-logic-games-part-1-a.html#post122065

kennethamy

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 08:45 pm
@VideCorSpoon,

I would also say that everyone on this forum are great thinkers in their own right,

I would not disagree with you unless I knew what you meant. And I have no idea what you mean. Or what the test for whether this is true is. How do you decide whether someone is a great thinker "in his own right"? Or is everyone so by definition?

Theaetetus

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 09:19 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;122073 wrote:
I would also say that everyone on this forum are great thinkers in their own right,

I would not disagree with you unless I knew what you meant. And I have no idea what you mean. Or what the test for whether this is true is. How do you decide whether someone is a great thinker "in his own right"? Or is everyone so by definition?

You are just putting too much thought into the whole idea. Everyone that comes here and participates in the forum are great thinkers in their own right. They are attempting to do what most people couldn't care less about. No matter who they are, at least they are trying in their own right.

kennethamy;122055 wrote:
You are far too sensitive. I was suggesting only that some posters might be encouraged to think better than they do. You really should not take it personally. Several posters are good thinkers. But some could improve- a lot. Would you disagree with that?

I am not too sensitive, but what you said in your OP is enough to offend many people that you interact with on the forum. Had you said what you did now, I may not even had posted, but the way you put it the first time, it seemed to suggest that many people around here need to learn the skill of basic thinking.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 09:31 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;122073 wrote:

", I would reply, "That's a good question Vide. I think I am a good thinker because I think I am." I would also ask myself, "Vide? How would you decide someone was a great thinker?" I would reply, "Another fantastic question Vide. I would say what makes a person a great thinker is whatever the person thinks makes them a good thinker. We all have our own capabilities and so on, so a great thinker is a relative thing." I would then also ask myself, "Vide? Do you think that people can be great thinkers by definition?" I would say, "Vide, you know better than to inject something as immaterial and irrelevant to the discussion as definition into a relative perspective unless it were adequately enforced with substantial premises."

kennethamy

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 09:38 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus;122077 wrote:
You are just putting too much thought into the whole idea. Everyone that comes here and participates in the forum are great thinkers in their own right. They are attempting to do what most people couldn't care less about. No matter who they are, at least they are trying in their own right.

Why are they "great". Is that an A for effort?

There are degrees of improvement needed in thinking skills, don't you think? John Locke wrote that God did give Man two legs to walk with, and then left it to Aristotle to make them rational. And that, of course, is true. But, although every person has some minimum degree of rationality, after that they differ a lot. That is illustrated every day on this forum.

jgweed

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 09:11 am
@kennethamy,
While all humans are capable of, broadly speaking, thinking, isn't it important to distinguish between thinking as an art, and thinking as a science? The former seems to be a natural ability extended to a few lucky people, the latter acquired by effort and learning.

To encourage everyone to improve their thinking through both study and practice seems to me important to say, especially here.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 09:15 am
@jgweed,
jgweed;122143 wrote:
While all humans are capable of, broadly speaking, thinking, isn't it important to distinguish between thinking as an art, and thinking as a science? The former seems to be a natural ability extended to a few lucky people, the latter acquired by effort and learning.

To encourage everyone to improve their thinking through both study and practice seems to me important to say, especially here.

I would add only that some people could use a lot of improvement.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 11:38:07