Dreams foretell the Future?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Dreams foretell the Future?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

3k1yp2

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 12:27 am
so i was on the "Coincidence?" thread and i got into dreams and the fact that i believe that they can be useful and even foretell the future in some cases. I know it may sound loony, but my mother has this wierd thing where she dreams something, sometimes completely outrageous or absurd, and then it comes true. This happens to me too, but none of my brothers or anyone i know... i can give examples, but you'd have to take my word for it, unless it happens to you too...any thoughts anyone?

NecromanticSin

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 12:57 am
@3k1yp2,
Unless i experienced it myself, I can not believe in someone else's word. I'm very much into being able to have these things like god,ghost,telling the future...happen. Otherwise, why is it someone is speical for these,and the rest are less. Well, i guess that's considered if you would think seeing the future as something more valued as a person. However, I just can't find something like it true. It's just a big coincidence,like most things unknown and unexplainable.

Pyrrho

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 02:37 pm
@NecromanticSin,
There are many things that you can guess about the future, based upon what you know about the world. Some people are better at this than others, but every functioning person does this to some degree or other. When you dream, your brain is accessing things you know, so of course, sometimes, you may dream guesses of the future that are correct.

Now, if you want to deal with the issue of how often that is the case, you should write down, every morning, every detail you can of every dream you have, and then later on check and see how much of it happens, and how much of it is crap. If, for example, you dream that you fly without the aide of any devices, I will confidently proclaim that that dream is crap for telling you what happens in the future. If you are interested in the accuracy of dreams, you need to count them all, in all of their details, not just the ones and details that turn out right.

memester

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 03:13 pm
@Pyrrho,
I find that sleeping...I suppose dreaming...tells me about yesterday.
I wake up and there is a list of things I forgot to do and things that were confused got sorted.
I've not noticed any predictive nature to my dreams...once or twice, but seemingly fewer times than I feel I should expect to occur :perplexed:

what I mean is that I have predicted almost exactly what friends would say in certain circumstances, just from knowing them well enough. It's pretty easy to predict some things, after all. But predicting doesn't seem to happen in my dreams.

Of course, since we spend our time predicting, it would be difficult to be more active in predicting when asleep, than when awake.

I think that maybe prediction is so mundane, that the mind hardly bothers with it in dreams.

3k1yp2

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 06:22 pm
@3k1yp2,
maybe im just wierd and good at guessing...or its a big coincidence. dreams do fascinate me, so does the moon.

Pythagorean

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 07:40 pm
@3k1yp2,
I have had dreams and waking visions that foretold the future. I tend to become fearful whenever it happens, it is very rare.

Other people become hate filled and angry whenever I attempt to describe this phenomonon in personal detail.

Nature lies mystiquated all around us but usually only poets and dreamers can see these aspects -.

I have been able to partially explain the phenomenon to myself by way of a version of philosophical idealism. Reality is subjective, there are no absolute objective material objects.

"There are more things in heaven and earth that are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Thanks.

-Pyth

sometime sun

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 07:58 pm
@Pythagorean,
They foretell the present and the past as well, more so but not exclusively.? i think dream is left behind when dealing in premonition.

mister kitten

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 08:10 pm
@3k1yp2,
3k1yp2;120080 wrote:
so i was on the "Coincidence?" thread and i got into dreams and the fact that i believe that they can be useful and even foretell the future in some cases. I know it may sound loony, but my mother has this wierd thing where she dreams something, sometimes completely outrageous or absurd, and then it comes true. This happens to me too, but none of my brothers or anyone i know... i can give examples, but you'd have to take my word for it, unless it happens to you too...any thoughts anyone?

If dreams foretell the future, then the future will have some crazy s**t according to me.

xris

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 06:59 am
@mister kitten,
Twice I have definitely seen the future. Others may scoff but it does not worry me as i would do the same.

Krumple

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 09:23 am
@xris,
xris;120434 wrote:
Twice I have definitely seen the future. Others may scoff but it does not worry me as i would do the same.

Bah that is nothing, I see the future every day.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 09:28 am
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;120244 wrote:
There are many things that you can guess about the future, based upon what you know about the world. Some people are better at this than others, but every functioning person does this to some degree or other. When you dream, your brain is accessing things you know, so of course, sometimes, you may dream guesses of the future that are correct.

Now, if you want to deal with the issue of how often that is the case, you should write down, every morning, every detail you can of every dream you have, and then later on check and see how much of it happens, and how much of it is crap. If, for example, you dream that you fly without the aide of any devices, I will confidently proclaim that that dream is crap for telling you what happens in the future. If you are interested in the accuracy of dreams, you need to count them all, in all of their details, not just the ones and details that turn out right.

One of the most common fallacies is, confirmation bias, and what Bacon called, "the neglect of the negative instance". We see those fallacies in all their glory on this thread. Those who know no logic and are trying to think, are like people who try to row a boat without any oars.

Pythagorean

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 09:06 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;120462 wrote:
Those who know no logic and are trying to think, are like people who try to row a boat without any oars.

The proposition that logic in itself is the only approach to all metaphysical or cosmological theorizing is as unoriginal as it is nihilistic. Conversely, the proposition that logic absolutely disproves any and all metaphysical or cosmological schemes is, of course, an unproven assumption.

Time and history already demonstrates the aridity and narrow-minded parochialism of the analytical school with its laughable reverence for modern logic. I would rather take advice about the nature of the real world from a blue-collar construction worker or a plumber before I would listen to these artificial "Idols Of The Theatre".

Logic was invented by Plato for metaphysical purposes. That is a fact. But it is a fact of history. And it is precisely the, mercifully brief, historical fad of modern logical and linguistic nihilism that these misbegotten purveyors of dry-as-dust hyper-rationalism have emerged from. Ultimately, they are creatures of a certain (failed) culture - in other words, they are ideologues - every one of them.

--

3k1yp2

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 09:46 am
@Pythagorean,
Pythagorean;120337 wrote:
I have had dreams and waking visions that foretold the future. I tend to become fearful whenever it happens, it is very rare.

Other people become hate filled and angry whenever I attempt to describe this phenomonon in personal detail.

Nature lies mystiquated all around us but usually only poets and dreamers can see these aspects -.

I have been able to partially explain the phenomenon to myself by way of a version of philosophical idealism. Reality is subjective, there are no absolute objective material objects.

"There are more things in heaven and earth that are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Thanks.

-Pyth

yeah, i have no idea whether to question my own sanity, or stand firm with what i really do believe to be true, it's not the most important dillemma in the world, i have more pressing things to worry about, but i can never get it off my mind. I get these things all the time about stupid stuff or serious stuff. i can usually tell whether my dream was just dream crap, which is rare, or one of "those" dreams. thign is, i don't dream too very often in the first place...

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Dreams foretell the Future?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 03:50:32