Coincidences

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

manored

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 08:14 pm
I dont remember how many times I have looked at my post count ever since I started posting here. Well, these lookings are sparse enough for me to not have any idea of whenever they even were more than 3 or not, let alone remember any. Today I looked, and got 1,042. What called my attention here is that looney 42, the famous "number of life, the universe and everything else" of my favorite author. Not so long ago, another forum member asked someone to look at post number 42. If I am not wrong it was a discussion to do with life or the universe, and, if my memory is not failing me, it was also the only time I ever saw anyone point to a post by writing its number on this forum.

Arent coincidences lovely little things? =)

3k1yp2

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 12:22 am
@manored,
manored;120044 wrote:
I dont remember how many times I have looked at my post count ever since I started posting here. Well, these lookings are sparse enough for me to not have any idea of whenever they even were more than 3 or not, let alone remember any. Today I looked, and got 1,042. What called my attention here is that looney 42, the famous "number of life, the universe and everything else" of my favorite author. Not so long ago, another forum member asked someone to look at post number 42. If I am not wrong it was a discussion to do with life or the universe, and, if my memory is not failing me, it was also the only time I ever saw anyone point to a post by writing its number on this forum.

coincidence scares me sometimes, and even makes me want to believe in premonition and fate, well, maybe not fate, but coincidence IS wierd. i dreamed my mom was pregnant, two and a half months later, she finds out shes been pregnant since i had the dream. My mom dreamed that she was homeless with us kids, and not soon after, we ended up living in the streets. I personally believe that dreams can have significance and be revealing, because i can come up with a laundry list of dreams my mother and i have had that seemed to come true. It's uncanny; too uncanny to be coincidence...maybe i should post another thread about this... yeah i will.

manored

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 03:48 pm
@3k1yp2,
Indeed, dreams seem to foresee the future. But does we dream because of what will happen, or what happens happens because of what we dream? =) I mean, perhaps we let ourselves influence.

I also think that our dreams that "foresee" the future may not have anything of super-natural, but rather be making associations between information we did not made.

Mrv

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 04:03 pm
@manored,
dreams are our subconcious way of interpeting what is currently stressing us i.e. driving dreams where you cant brake your car means you fear you have no control etc. i could think of more examples but im chossing not to plus you can gain control of your dreams if you will it hard enough iv,e done it before and if your going to say it without the aid of mind altering substances so yea but i suppose you can control your own future as well..but that whole line of conversational is just too metapysical for my liking

sometime sun

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 07:51 pm
@Mrv,
There is no such thing as mere coincidence, they are recognised, they are meaningful becasue they have a meaning that has been recognised. They mean something and something more when you can point them out.
If you haven't, read the Celestine Prophecy, you can use coincidence to do things.Smile

William

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 05:47 am
@sometime sun,
manored;120044 wrote:

Yes they are. As a matter of a fact they are miracles and they are for you alone. In short they are the tying up of loose ends as one realizes the unity of all things in what they have personally experienced through the senses and that which created the senses. You can't go looking for them; only enjoy them as they occur. Manored the fact you notice coincidences means you are "tuning up".

Now here is where you really need to be careful and not mistake them for what many call "signs". Well, they are but you can't assume you can look for them. Ha, that will drive you "literally" bonkers. Ha! I know; been there, done that and you will be surprised just how many angels it took to get me through that, ha! Seriously. Well, that's a part of my life I haven't told yet.

sometime sun;120339 wrote:
There is no such thing as mere coincidence, they are recognised, they are meaningful becasue they have a meaning that has been recognised. They mean something and something more when you can point them out.

If you haven't, read the Celestine Prophecy, you can use coincidence to do things.

Sun let's apply coincidence to thought processes and what dreams are. If our dreams are disturbed that means we are confused in what we dream has no connection to anything we have ever experienced and it is the self conscious trying to make sense of it. That is why it is we have a difficult time remembering our dreams. Only if they are so confused they can't help but remember them illustrates the intensity of the confusion.

Once we get beyond "fear states" we begin to pay no regard to dreams whatsoever subsequently leading to peaceful rest. The reason we sleep anyway is because of mental and physical exhaustion of too much, too fast and too often and why so many use brain altering drugs to slow down so they can get some rest. There is big difference in what we call dreaming and reverie or day dreaming. Day dreaming is a effort to tie up loose ends in an environment that is making no sense and what ennui is.

It's hard to imagine what a natural state is; but I assure you it has nothing to do with rate and speed. On the contrary, the opposite is true. When one slows down they will be amazed at how many coincidences they will notice and in that alone there is a peace of not being alone and something else being involved that is efforting through coincidences to link us up.

I promise you coincidences are not "flukes". Not by a long shot. They are very real. They are just assurances that there "is" something else involved trying to let it be known that "something else" exists in all that is present in what we call reality.

I have no idea of what that means in it's entirety, but it does offer a great measure of assurance that we think we control, we have no control at all and that is so immeasurably load lifting. The more we try to control, the more we lose control.

William

manored

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 11:22 am
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;120339 wrote:
If you haven't, read the Celestine Prophecy, you can use coincidence to do things.Smile
If you mean something can be learnt from ever coincidence, I agree.

William;120425 wrote:
Yes they are. As a matter of a fact they are miracles and they are for you alone. In short they are the tying up of loose ends as one realizes the unity of all things in what they have personally experienced through the senses and that which created the senses. You can't go looking for them; only enjoy them as they occur. Manored the fact you notice coincidences means you are "tuning up".

Now here is where you really need to be careful and not mistake them for what many call "signs". Well, they are but you can't assume you can look for them. Ha, that will drive you "literally" bonkers. Ha! I know; been there, done that and you will be surprised just how many angels it took to get me through that, ha! Seriously. Well, that's a part of my life I haven't told yet.
Those who search signs will find then, even, and very frequently, where they dont really exist =)

That goes for coincidences too, actually. I once searched for eclipses, and could find then everywhere. There are some things we must be carefull not to search, because if we do, we will find then everywhere, and this will hide their true location.

William;120425 wrote:

Sun let's apply coincidence to thought processes and what dreams are. If our dreams are disturbed that means we are confused in what we dream has no connection to anything we have ever experienced and it is the self conscious trying to make sense of it. That is why it is we have a difficult time remembering our dreams. Only if they are so confused they can't help but remember them illustrates the intensity of the confusion.
Perhaps our dreams make no sense because they are not to inform us, but to amuse and entertain, or perhaps they have no purpose whatsoever. Today I dreamt I was an 400 kilograms invulnerable magical armor defending a castle under invasion with a sword and a glove that shot beams of energy. I can't imagine any meaning for it, but it was freaking fun =)

Like a kid playing. It has no purpose other than having fun, and perhaps the kid itself does not know that that is the purpose.

I remember reading somewhere that the reason dreams are hard to remember is because then we wake up, our recent memory is in a fragile state (something like that) and movement erases what was there. So, in order to remember dreams better, we must stay still in the bed for a while after awakening up

William;120425 wrote:

It's hard to imagine what a natural state is; but I assure you it has nothing to do with rate and speed. On the contrary, the opposite is true. When one slows down they will be amazed at how many coincidences they will notice and in that alone there is a peace of not being alone and something else being involved that is efforting through coincidences to link us up.
I think its better to not worry about the natural state, because I suspect that worries are one of the things that keep us away from it =)

William;120425 wrote:

I promise you coincidences are not "flukes". Not by a long shot. They are very real. They are just assurances that there "is" something else involved trying to let it be known that "something else" exists in all that is present in what we call reality.
Well its pretty much the same thing, but I think that it might be your brain trying to find the thing, rather than the thing showing off to us =)

I just prefer the idea of that things are self-organizing rather than organized.

William;120425 wrote:

I have no idea of what that means in it's entirety, but it does offer a great measure of assurance that we think we control, we have no control at all and that is so immeasurably load lifting. The more we try to control, the more we lose control.

William
In what sense do you mean control here?

sneer

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 04:03 pm
@3k1yp2,
3k1yp2;120078 wrote:
coincidence scares me sometimes, and even makes me want to believe in premonition and fate, well, maybe not fate, but coincidence IS wierd.

I'm not scared, I do realize rather, there's something incomprehensible.
Here's my story:
As I was 17, I had a girlfriend, fallen in love etc...ten years later we had short contact, incidental one, we talked about a concert of a group, that was very important to us 10 years ago. She told me she had tickets for her and his husband. I missed ticekts, they were sold in few hours.

As the date of the concert was closer, I've checked ebay for tickets, and realized, day by day, prices were going crazy - 3-4 times more. I gave up.

Fortunately, a day before the concert I've checked once more. There were 2 tickets, for regular price. Clicked 'buy now'. Good luck - this was a city near to mine.

I went to the address, a nice guy opened the door and let me in. Small girl run and stared at me with big eyes.

After few seconds, it came to me, SHE is washing dishes and not seeing me. After 10 years of not having any contact we met...oh, no, I've met her.

William

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 07:55 am
@sneer,
sneer;130814 wrote:
I'm not scared, I do realize rather, there's something incomprehensible.
Here's my story:
As I was 17, I had a girlfriend, fallen in love etc...ten years later we had short contact, incidental one, we talked about a concert of a group, that was very important to us 10 years ago. She told me she had tickets for her and his husband. I missed ticekts, they were sold in few hours.

As the date of the concert was closer, I've checked ebay for tickets, and realized, day by day, prices were going crazy - 3-4 times more. I gave up.

Fortunately, a day before the concert I've checked once more. There were 2 tickets, for regular price. Clicked 'buy now'. Good luck - this was a city near to mine.

I went to the address, a nice guy opened the door and let me in. Small girl run and stared at me with big eyes.

After few seconds, it came to me, SHE is washing dishes and not seeing me. After 10 years of not having any contact we met...oh, no, I've met her.

Hello sneer, are you saying this was the home of the woman you "fell in love with" ten years prior?

William

kennethamy

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 08:02 am
@manored,
Is there any but anecdotal evidence that dreams are predictive of the future? What is the evidence? I hope this is not an embarrassing question.

Zetherin

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 08:52 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;131372 wrote:
Is there any but anecdotal evidence that dreams are predictive of the future? What is the evidence? I hope this is not an embarrassing question.

Until we can view others' dreams, I'm not sure what sort of other evidence we could get. It seems to me it will always be person's anecdote X claiming Y was predicted.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 08:57 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;131375 wrote:
Until we can view others' dreams, I'm not sure what sort of other evidence we could get. It seems to me it will always be person's anecdote X claiming Y was predicted.

But can't we tell whether his prediction was accurate? Let a study group predict, and we can have a control group. And then we can see whether the study group predicts better than chance.

Zetherin

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 09:00 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;131377 wrote:
But can't we tell whether his prediction was accurate? Let a study group predict, and we can have a control group. And then we can see whether the study group predicts better than chance.

Well the problem with that is, from what I've seen, these people usually don't have these predictions on a whim. They randomly have these dreams. So, it's not like we could ask a bunch of people to predict something, since they don't even know the next time they'll be able to predict. I suppose we could check up with the group every day, but that may become unreasonable.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 09:13 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;131379 wrote:
Well the problem with that is, from what I've seen, these people usually don't have these predictions on a whim. They randomly have these dreams. So, it's not like we could ask a bunch of people to predict something, since they don't even know the next time they'll be able to predict. I suppose we could check up with the group every day, but that may become unreasonable.

We can just ask the predictors to let us know when they have dreamed something significant: a fire some place or other, and then wait and see whether it happens. Of course, the dream has to be specific enough to check. Not fair "a fire somewhere in the world in the next 100 years". Or I dreamed that my mother (who is 98 and has heart disease) is going to die. There is no reason (so far as I can tell) that a well-designed study could not be conducted. I think the reason that no one does it is that they already know what the result would be. Since there is no reason to suppose that dreams are predictive.

sneer

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 09:41 am
@William,
William;131370 wrote:
Hello sneer, are you saying this was the home of the woman you "fell in love with" ten years prior?
William

yes. everything without the warning.

manored

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 12:02 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;131372 wrote:
Probally not =)

kennethamy;131384 wrote:
I think the reason that no one does it is that they already know what the result would be. Since there is no reason to suppose that dreams are predictive.
I think there is too much subjectiveness to the whole thing. If we just tell a bunch of people to try to guess the future in their dreams and rate their success, a defender of future seeing on dreams can claim that they didnt use the correct dream interpretation method. And then they could claim that ever person has its own correct method that they must discover...

I think that Zetherin is correct, and we wont be able to prove prevision through dreams false until we can see other's dreams.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 12:17 pm
@manored,
manored;131458 wrote:
Probally not =)

I think there is too much subjectiveness to the whole thing. If we just tell a bunch of people to try to guess the future in their dreams and rate their success, a defender of future seeing on dreams can claim that they didnt use the correct dream interpretation method. And then they could claim that ever person has its own correct method that they must discover...

I think that Zetherin is correct, and we wont be able to prove prevision through dreams false until we can see other's dreams.

Yes, that is why we would have to design the study so that vague predictions which have to be heavily interpreted would not count. It would be like studying a fortune teller. We would need the rule that the fortune teller (or the dreamer) has to make unlikely predictions. That is predictions that, would be unlikely to be successful. If a fortune teller, or a dreamer, predicts it will snow in January, that doesn't count. But if the prediction is that it will snow in June, that will certainly count! Dreaming that you will meet a blond man is too vague to be of any significance. But dreaming that you will meet a blond man who comes from India, and who will offer you the Kohinoor Diamond, would count if it turned out to be true.

manored

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 12:32 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;131467 wrote:
Yes, that is why we would have to design the study so that vague predictions which have to be heavily interpreted would not count. It would be like studying a fortune teller. We would need the rule that the fortune teller (or the dreamer) has to make unlikely predictions. That is predictions that, would be unlikely to be successful. If a fortune teller, or a dreamer, predicts it will snow in January, that doesn't count. But if the prediction is that it will snow in June, that will certainly count! Dreaming that you will meet a blond man is too vague to be of any significance. But dreaming that you will meet a blond man who comes from India, and who will offer you the Kohinoor Diamond, would count if it turned out to be true.
That perhaps would prove that dreams that show exactly what will happen do not happen (at least not with the majority of the population, there will always be someone claiming they can) but it wouldnt rule out seeing the future by using some method of interpretation. I agree though, that any dream, interpreted or not, would need to produce a prevision with decent accuracy to be taken seriously.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 12:27:05