Our humor can affect our philosophing of the day?

  1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Our humor can affect our philosophing of the day?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

manored
 
Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 07:58 pm
I have realized that some of my ideas change with my humor. Sometimes I have day-long headaches that make everything seem boring to me, and in these days I find a lot less reasons to not kill myself than normally. In some days I just suddently get happy and start thinking everything is just eternal pure joy and happiness. Anyone else has swings like that? =)
 
kennethamy
 
Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 01:01 am
@manored,
manored;120041 wrote:
I have realized that some of my ideas change with my humor. Sometimes I have day-long headaches that make everything seem boring to me, and in these days I find a lot less reasons to not kill myself than normally. In some days I just suddently get happy and start thinking everything is just eternal pure joy and happiness. Anyone else has swings like that? =)


Yes. Many of us who have manic-depressive tendencies.
 
G-Thomson
 
Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 09:19 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;120088 wrote:
Yes. Many of us who have manic-depressive tendencies.

Agreed.
Although, I'm having much less happy days than I used to.
 
Khethil
 
Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 09:42 am
@manored,
I think it's common to feel up or down; common, normal and forgiveable. Sure, it could be a product of some neurosis, but not necessarily.

One thing that strikes me on this issue, quite poignantly, is that particularly in our culture, one must find reasons to feel good, think positively and "just chill" mentally. We're bombarded with why we must have this to fell good, wear that to be attractive and do something else to be successful. Others tend to be rude, self-seeking and compartmentalized in their scramble for stuff; leaving us to fend for ourselves ('... alone in a crowded room').

But yea... unless you've some reason to think otherwise, it's quite likely just a normal tide-and-ebb of emotions; a product of you, your environment and (most importantly) the way you think.

... who knows
 
manored
 
Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 04:16 pm
@Khethil,
Khethil;120141 wrote:

One thing that strikes me on this issue, quite poignantly, is that particularly in our culture, one must find reasons to feel good, think positively and "just chill" mentally. We're bombarded with why we must have this to fell good, wear that to be attractive and do something else to be successful. Others tend to be rude, self-seeking and compartmentalized in their scramble for stuff; leaving us to fend for ourselves ('... alone in a crowded room').
I agree, many people in the world seem to have no idea of what happiness is, and many seem to think that getting rich by bombarding others with false ideas of happiness is happiness =)
 
kennethamy
 
Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 04:26 pm
@G-Thomson,
G-Thomson;120138 wrote:
Agreed.
Although, I'm having much less happy days than I used to.


But there is stuff that can be prescribed for that condition if it is severe. And it is supposed to be pretty successful.
 
G-Thomson
 
Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 04:45 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;120284 wrote:
But there is stuff that can be prescribed for that condition if it is severe. And it is supposed to be pretty successful.


Nah, it's not really severe. I've got a number of mental issues that I'm fine coping with, with no medication.
It's just a multitude of things happening in my life at the moment bringing me down.
But, I can always find humour in even the most morbid of things. Not always to everyone's pleasure though! :shifty:
 
sometime sun
 
Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 05:34 pm
@manored,
manored;120041 wrote:
I have realized that some of my ideas change with my humor. Sometimes I have day-long headaches that make everything seem boring to me, and in these days I find a lot less reasons to not kill myself than normally. In some days I just suddently get happy and start thinking everything is just eternal pure joy and happiness. Anyone else has swings like that? =)

It is that closure on life, a solvency, that acceptance of the inevitable that brings the euphoria and more so that one is moving towards it and one was momentarily afraid of it seems obsurd seems ridiculous seems comical. It also has something to do with bravery, or do i mean bravado?
'The Bravado of Meetings with the Reaper' or 'The Bravado of Dying All the Time' seems like the climax of a song i never sang or the beginning of a poem i never penned, but both ballads.
Why be depressed about inevitable things, better and easier to make them funny. Or do i mean quicker?
 
manored
 
Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 11:38 am
@G-Thomson,
G-Thomson;120285 wrote:

But, I can always find humour in even the most morbid of things. Not always to everyone's pleasure though! :shifty:
Ah, I know that. Then you do that, people will anoyingly think you are a monster rather than realizing you are "laughing to not cry". And these people are usually sad =)

The idea of a chemical unbalance in the brain making people depressed makes me wonder... the brain is the mind, what means than whatever happens to the brain affects your mind, and whatever happens to your mind affects your brain... so are you depressed because the chemical unbalance in your brain affects your mind, or because your depressed mind affects the chemical balance in your brain? =)

sometime sun;120300 wrote:
It is that closure on life, a solvency, that acceptance of the inevitable that brings the euphoria and more so that one is moving towards it and one was momentarily afraid of it seems obsurd seems ridiculous seems comical. It also has something to do with bravery, or do i mean bravado?
'The Bravado of Meetings with the Reaper' or 'The Bravado of Dying All the Time' seems like the climax of a song i never sang or the beginning of a poem i never penned, but both ballads.
Why be depressed about inevitable things, better and easier to make them funny. Or do i mean quicker?
You mean that there is one point when we realize fear of death is ridiculous and that we should laugh at the face of fear and death, rather than fear then both? I agree =)
 
sometime sun
 
Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 03:48 am
@manored,
manored;120478 wrote:
Ah, I know that. Then you do that, people will anoyingly think you are a monster rather than realizing you are "laughing to not cry". And these people are usually sad =)

Very sad or very afraid. Laughter is a natural reflex. Just as tears are. Why fight either? You are dealing with life, life is not dealing with you.
manored;120478 wrote:

The idea of a chemical unbalance in the brain making people depressed makes me wonder... the brain is the mind, what means than whatever happens to the brain affects your mind, and whatever happens to your mind affects your brain... so are you depressed because the chemical unbalance in your brain affects your mind, or because your depressed mind affects the chemical balance in your brain? =)

Mood affects/effects your health. Health affects/effects your mood.
manored;120478 wrote:

You mean that there is one point when we realize fear of death is ridiculous and that we should laugh at the face of fear and death, rather than fear then both? I agree =)

Death is a joke, it is not to be feared, it is natural just like laughter. But i dont think people really fear death they fear dying.
 
manored
 
Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 10:56 am
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;120625 wrote:

Death is a joke, it is not to be feared, it is natural just like laughter. But i dont think people really fear death they fear dying.
Some people fear death too, specially those who dont believe in afterlife. Off course, there is no reason to fear nothingness, but our instincts fear it anyway =)
 
sometime sun
 
Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 05:10 pm
@manored,
manored;120669 wrote:
Some people fear death too, specially those who dont believe in afterlife. Off course, there is no reason to fear nothingness, but our instincts fear it anyway =)

Seems to me that people who do believe in an after life are supposed to fear death more. Again i am not sure those without the faith fear death, fear nothingness because they may also believe that their life means nothing so why oh why would you fear death if you still had a choice not to?
Why would some one who doesn't believe and are in fear would persist with fear when the belief could free them from the fear, or maybe the no believers would rather fear nothing than fear everything. Maybe they dont have a choice in what they believe, maybe none of us have a choice over our faith.?
I still maintain that those without faith are built to have it and fight with it, this natural reflex which is to have be with faith, i think it is harder to not believe that it is to accept it.
Something called the superstition complex/condition (or something like that), we are all naturally built if you believe Richard Dawkins to at least hold some reflex which i think he calls the superstitious gene (he deals alot with 'genes' dosen't he) if pigeons have it and we have it then surely we are naturally built to have faith to hold that somethings are controled from the outside of us, a force which is internal but that which externalises and thinks the external has some plan over what the outsome will be internally. It is an in built predilection towards simply knowing or accepting the supernatural. Why fight our nature? This is part of our pattern patent,
are we built to trust ourselves or are we built to fight ourselves?

Superstition; noun 1 belief in an influence that certain (especially commonplace) objects, actions, or occurrences have on events, peoples lives, etc 2 A particular opinion or practice based on such a belief. 3 any widely held but unfounded belief. [from Latin superstitio, fear of the supernatural]
We are built with it, why unless there is something to be noticed?
Doe sit prove that pigeons have souls as well then?
 
manored
 
Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 12:41 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;120700 wrote:
Seems to me that people who do believe in an after life are supposed to fear death more. Again i am not sure those without the faith fear death, fear nothingness because they may also believe that their life means nothing so why oh why would you fear death if you still had a choice not to?
Why would some one who doesn't believe and are in fear would persist with fear when the belief could free them from the fear, or maybe the no believers would rather fear nothing than fear everything. Maybe they dont have a choice in what they believe, maybe none of us have a choice over our faith.?
I still maintain that those without faith are built to have it and fight with it, this natural reflex which is to have be with faith, i think it is harder to not believe that it is to accept it.
Something called the superstition complex/condition (or something like that), we are all naturally built if you believe Richard Dawkins to at least hold some reflex which i think he calls the superstitious gene (he deals alot with 'genes' dosen't he) if pigeons have it and we have it then surely we are naturally built to have faith to hold that somethings are controled from the outside of us, a force which is internal but that which externalises and thinks the external has some plan over what the outsome will be internally. It is an in built predilection towards simply knowing or accepting the supernatural. Why fight our nature? This is part of our pattern patent,
are we built to trust ourselves or are we built to fight ourselves?

Superstition; noun 1 belief in an influence that certain (especially commonplace) objects, actions, or occurrences have on events, peoples lives, etc 2 A particular opinion or practice based on such a belief. 3 any widely held but unfounded belief. [from Latin superstitio, fear of the supernatural]
We are built with it, why unless there is something to be noticed?
Doe sit prove that pigeons have souls as well then?
I dont think we choose what we believe, we simply believe. Even "fighting against faith" is part of the process of getting to believe or ceasing to believe in something. Choosing what we believe would be the same than choosing what our personality is.

Its a bit tricky. Some people who believe in an afterlife fear death more because they are afraid of this other life, some fear less because they either think it will be better or may be either better or worse.

Some people who dont believe in afterlife fear death more because then they die its over. Some people who dont believe in afterlife fear death less due to the exactly same reason... =)
 
NecromanticSin
 
Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 04:35 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;120088 wrote:
Yes. Many of us who have manic-depressive tendencies.



and females.


haha.


i'm kidding,kinda. :shifty:

---------- Post added 01-24-2010 at 05:39 PM ----------

sometime sun;120625 wrote:
Death is a joke, it is not to be feared, it is natural just like laughter. But i dont think people really fear death they fear dying.



i think people only have fear to fear. Dying is just a way of life, like emotions, like thoughts, like experiences, like love, etc... etc... If you're afraid of death, you might also be afraid of living. As they both can cause a depressing emotion.

however, yes the idea of ''dying'' is scary,beacuse you don't know when, or how. Which can be very uncomfortable... but fearing either dying and/or death it self is just draining emotion. So like i said, people only should fear, fear itself. As fear can cause people to hold back from doing things in their life. :sarcastic:

does that make sense? ha.

---------- Post added 01-24-2010 at 05:49 PM ----------

manored;120669 wrote:
Some people fear death too, specially those who dont believe in afterlife. Off course, there is no reason to fear nothingness, but our instincts fear it anyway =)



i disagree. I do not believe in an afterlife, well i'm more comfortable saying I do not know if there is an afterlife,and that i don't think there is one. I fear an afterlife actually based on not wanting to be in hell or HEAVEN. The idea of existing after this life whether it's bliss or torture, is not very appealing to me. As i find this life stressful, full of struggles and also happiness, however i value this life for those things. I wouldn't want to ''live on'' after life in either good or bad, but in both. I'm all about a balance,and not having the boat tip any one way hence, why i do not believe in an afterlife but i think there isn't one.
 
manored
 
Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 10:52 am
@NecromanticSin,
NecromanticSin;122238 wrote:
and females.


haha.


i'm kidding,kinda. :shifty:




i think people only have fear to fear. Dying is just a way of life, like emotions, like thoughts, like experiences, like love, etc... etc... If you're afraid of death, you might also be afraid of living. As they both can cause a depressing emotion.

however, yes the idea of ''dying'' is scary,beacuse you don't know when, or how. Which can be very uncomfortable... but fearing either dying and/or death it self is just draining emotion. So like i said, people only should fear, fear itself. As fear can cause people to hold back from doing things in their life. :sarcastic:

does that make sense? ha.


It does, actually =)



NecromanticSin;122238 wrote:

i disagree. I do not believe in an afterlife, well i'm more comfortable saying I do not know if there is an afterlife,and that i don't think there is one. I fear an afterlife actually based on not wanting to be in hell or HEAVEN. The idea of existing after this life whether it's bliss or torture, is not very appealing to me. As i find this life stressful, full of struggles and also happiness, however i value this life for those things. I wouldn't want to ''live on'' after life in either good or bad, but in both. I'm all about a balance,and not having the boat tip any one way hence, why i do not believe in an afterlife but i think there isn't one.
I said "some people" =)

I think you cant live in total good or total bad, for then these wouldnt exist. But you can, off course, live in a worse life than this or a better life than this.
 
 

 
  1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Our humor can affect our philosophing of the day?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/20/2024 at 01:34:09