Time control. Mind control.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Time control. Mind control.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 04:01 pm
Anyone else out there think they can contol time?

The passage of your time is yours to rush or slow?

Have you ever felt in total control of time?

Have you picked up little tricks of time that can get you away from something quicker or make something last that little longer?

And if any answer to the above as affirmative, does this make you delusional/controlled? or maybe make you the sane/controller?

NecromanticSin

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 10:22 pm
@sometime sun,
actually I feel like when i want time to be faster,it's slows down.. when i want it to slow down,it goes fast. Often,i don't consider how much time truly has pasted,however when i think about 4 years ago really a long time? Just random thoughts of time. However controlable,impossible! Time flows in you and without you. Time answers to noone. Time stops for noone. We're all actually controlled by time. We have times to wake,times to eat,times to go to school or work,time to see family, time to walk the dog.
As we're young,we can't wait til we're older
as we get older, we wish for things younger years
Time flies by...

3k1yp2

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 12:15 am
@NecromanticSin,
i can drink a few cups of coffee and my day will crawl by. i think time seems to pass more quickly if i am excited to do something later. i think time can be pretty relative to the person, but in realitytime is pretty set and independent isn't it? i do feel that sometimes time does what you want it to, or what you don't want it to. But then that inconsistency weakens the argument that you can control time...hmm, a very interesting proposition indeed. yup time, or rather the passage of it, is probably relative to each person. To some it goes fast, when that very same actual time seem to elapse slower...

xris

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 09:49 am
@3k1yp2,
Somewhere I read about a simple experiment. Find a large clock with a second hand. Find a comfortable place to sit and observe the clock. Observe the second hands movements and start to imagine the most peaceful comforting thoughts. Such as lazing on a warm beach , hearing the sounds of the waves lapping at your feet. If you continue thinking of this subject you should see the clock appear to slow down to your normal perspective. Im told you can make it stop for just an instance.

Time is relative to our involvement with it.

Zetherin

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 10:17 am
@xris,
Deliberately perceiving time at a different pace (than we normally perceive it) does not mean that we are controlling time. It means we are controlling our perception of time. Just like some people can control their perception of pain from heat whilst walking on coals. The coals are still just as hot, the person is just conditioned to perceive the pain from the heat differently.

sometime sun

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 01:28 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;120148 wrote:
Deliberately perceiving time at a different pace (than we normally perceive it) does not mean that we are controlling time. It means we are controlling our perception of time. Just like some people can control their perception of pain from heat whilst walking on coals. The coals are still just as hot, the person is just conditioned to perceive the pain from the heat differently.

Walking on coals is easy, he said, it is standing still on them that they hurt, he said.

Zetherin

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 01:36 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;120201 wrote:
Walking on coals is easy, he said, it is standing still on them that they hurt, he said.

The point is someone can condition themselves to focus their mind elsewhere, but this does not change the external world, it only changes how they perceive the external world.

But, for the record, walking on hot coals as calmly and steadily as some can, is hard.

sometime sun

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 01:55 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;120206 wrote:
The point is someone can condition themselves to focus their mind elsewhere, but this does not change the external world, it only changes how they perceive the external world.

But, for the record, walking on hot coals as calmly and steadily as some can, is hard.

Agreed it takes conditioning if the mind is not already ready or does not feel the need to prepare for something they know will not harm them if they do not choose it to, or making a mistake is just not an option.

And for my record it was easy, not as easy was walking on glass though, that scared me little and therefore there was room to be cut, to make a mistake.
I walked therefore i was in time not of time, not to late and no need to catch up, i was not in rush apart from when i felt like running, so ran. Ouch.

SammDickens

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 02:01 pm
@sometime sun,
Time is a concept with which we measure and order the events of our experience. The clock is nothing more than a device for standardizing our measurement of time, enabling us to compare events we have experienced with events that occurred outside our experience. So events are the reality of our experience. Events include all motion and change, all actions and reactions, all processes and transitions, etc.

Events occur at their own frequency or rate. The ticks of a clock mark the seconds of time at a rate fixed by the design of the clock. As Zetherin has said, we cannot mentally affect the ticks of a clock as observed by people in general, we cannot really make the clock move faster or slower. But we can affect the "speed" of our own consciousness in such a manner that the ticks of a clock may appear to occur with abbreviated frequency or with extended frequency. Or such at least is the argument considered by this thread. Am I right in that assumption? or is the question "Can we control the speed of objective time?", a much more ambitious and probably impossible contention?

Samm

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Time control. Mind control.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 10:12:21