Would you destroy the Earth?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Insty

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 07:41 pm
@G-Thomson,
I was going to say that I hoped this thread was supposed to be a joke. But, if anything, the idea of joking about such a thing is even more disturbing.

Krumple

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 08:44 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;119405 wrote:
Quick thought;
Would you destroy that which not only created you but destroy that which will kill you?
Can you escape death or destruction by bringing it upon yourself?

Wait what is this?

Destroy what created you? What is implied here? What created him?

Destroy that which will kill you? Well what is implied here? Because research doctors do this all the time. Are they in conflict with your reasoning?

Escape death or destruction? Who said he was trying to escape death or destruction? Are you implying something else again?

These statement seem a little vague and lack support in the actual topic. Unless you are implying something in which you are not specifically addressing it seems a little pretentious.

bfz

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 08:37 am
@G-Thomson,
I would like to refer to an Issac Assimov book in my reply to this statement, as far as i can remember an alien spaceship is traversing the galaxy when they come across the earth, so forth they do a routine check on the planet to find out if it is worth incroporating them into the galactic society, however they specify that the earth is the only planet in the galaxy that has been discovered that still has nuclear weapons, as well as inter solar flight. After a meeting by the "galactic senate" the decision is made to destroy the planet straight away. maybe we are such a destructive race, that has historically been so unethical that for the good of the universe the button should be pressed rather than the good of the earth as others have stated. maybe we will never become a truly good society, if there has been bad in the past will this forever taint the future of mankind?

fast

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 08:51 am
@G-Thomson,
No, and the reason is because doing so would be very wrong. Not just wrong but very wrong. I'm willing to do some things that are just plain wrong, but that is anything from plain.

Jebediah

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 09:24 am
@bfz,
bfz;123008 wrote:
I would like to refer to an Issac Assimov book in my reply to this statement, as far as i can remember an alien spaceship is traversing the galaxy when they come across the earth, so forth they do a routine check on the planet to find out if it is worth incroporating them into the galactic society, however they specify that the earth is the only planet in the galaxy that has been discovered that still has nuclear weapons, as well as inter solar flight. After a meeting by the "galactic senate" the decision is made to destroy the planet straight away. maybe we are such a destructive race, that has historically been so unethical that for the good of the universe the button should be pressed rather than the good of the earth as others have stated. maybe we will never become a truly good society, if there has been bad in the past will this forever taint the future of mankind?

Maybe all the other aliens are like the ones from "independence day" and we're the nicest species in the universe.

manored

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 05:34 pm
@Insty,
Insty;122932 wrote:
I was going to say that I hoped this thread was supposed to be a joke. But, if anything, the idea of joking about such a thing is even more disturbing.
Life is a joke. What I just wrote is true, and is the most disturbing thing ever.

bfz;123008 wrote:
So they destroyed us because we are an destructive race? Hum... =)

And whats the point of not having nuclear weapons if you have planet-destroying weapons?

From the two given reasons it sounds more like they destroyed us for being technologically inferior rather than violent.

fast;123010 wrote:
No, and the reason is because doing so would be very wrong. Not just wrong but very wrong. I'm willing to do some things that are just plain wrong, but that is anything from plain.
That begs the question... why? =)

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 07:25 am
@G-Thomson,
I so glad President Ronald Reagan didn't have this curiosity. Or did he, when he slightly demented fought the Evil Empire?

Darkpoet

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 07:42 am
@G-Thomson,
G-Thomson;119388 wrote:

"If, in front of you was a large red button (it always has to be a big red one) that would destroy the Earth in a matter of minutes, would you press it?"
---
I don't know my science, but 10 minutes after pushing the button, the Earth explodes like something the Death Star has fired a big green laser at.
Residents of Earth would not know anything has changed during the 10 minutes. Only you have the button, and only you are able to make the decision.

Yes, I would surely and happily destroy the earth. Even along with me in it.

You see, I have seen enough of what we humans have done to this world. Even the beauty of life is wearing down by our selfish deeds of various kinds. I want to destroy it for the sake of the universe, because, even if we had the chance of turning over a new leaf, I believe that we would rather stick to our own path than to "go green".

If we humans keep this up, not only the world will deteriorate, but the entire universe along with it, as we look for new lands to waste, and new ways to destroy it.

It is not the destroying of the world that would be relevant, it is the destruction of humanity that is.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 07:42 am
@bfz,
bfz;123008 wrote:

Hopefully they could make a virus to infect the cortex so we couldn't press red buttons, fly space-ships etc. Sounds harsh but would keep us alive!:surrender:

manored

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 11:23 am
@Darkpoet,
Darkpoet;123647 wrote:
Yes, I would surely and happily destroy the earth. Even along with me in it.

You see, I have seen enough of what we humans have done to this world. Even the beauty of life is wearing down by our selfish deeds of various kinds. I want to destroy it for the sake of the universe, because, even if we had the chance of turning over a new leaf, I believe that we would rather stick to our own path than to "go green".

If we humans keep this up, not only the world will deteriorate, but the entire universe along with it, as we look for new lands to waste, and new ways to destroy it.

It is not the destroying of the world that would be relevant, it is the destruction of humanity that is.
What is destruction?

Pepijn Sweep;123649 wrote:
Hopefully they could make a virus to infect the cortex so we couldn't press red buttons, fly space-ships etc. Sounds harsh but would keep us alive!:surrender:
Why they dont like our space-ships again? =)

Well, they consume huge amounts of resources, but we need to start somewhere.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 01:06 pm
@G-Thomson,
I would love to see a CO2-neutral space-ship coming back from Mars...I agree with space exploration, but not exploitation. I just heard they want to proclaim the rubbish we left on the moon a landmark! I truly hope the Chinese or Indian people act differently.

manored

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 05:50 pm
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep;123698 wrote:
I would love to see a CO2-neutral space-ship coming back from Mars...I agree with space exploration, but not exploitation. I just heard they want to proclaim the rubbish we left on the moon a landmark! I truly hope the Chinese or Indian people act differently.
Well the rest of the moon is craters. If you count then, there are too many for landmarks in the moon to have any significancy. If you dont count then, our rubbish is all that is left =)

I dont really understand why some people dont agree with space exploitation. We will spoil the other worlds? But what there is to spoil in other worlds? =)

Actually, exploiting other worlds is something enviroementalists should be looking forward to, as it will take pressure off earth, the only know planet that can support life naturally.

fast

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 08:24 am
@manored,
manored;123130 wrote:
That begs the question... why? =)

I don't think I understand your objection. You asked if I would destroy the Earth. The answer is no. You did not ask for my reason, but I decided to give my reason for why I wouldn't destroy the Earth anyway. Why I wouldn't destroy the Earth is because it's very wrong (and not just wrong).

Had you followed up and asked me how it is I come to think it's wrong, then that would be a different question, but you didn't ask that question, so I don't understand how it is that I have begged the question.

PS: I'm not saying that I'm not begging the question. I just don't understand it all that well. I thought I did one time, but I still keep getting confused over it. I'm trying not to assume what it is I'm trying to assert. Maybe I'm confusing begging the question with circular reasoning.

By the way, destroying the Earth would also destroy all the inhabitants of Earth, and destroying all the inhabitants of Earth is wrong, so destroying the Earth is wrong. Is that begging the question too? How about innocent people will be killed, and killing of innocent people is harmful, and it's wrong to intentionally inflict harm with no good cause. What is the (or a) right answer?

manored

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 11:53 am
@fast,
fast;126126 wrote:
I don't think I understand your objection. You asked if I would destroy the Earth. The answer is no. You did not ask for my reason, but I decided to give my reason for why I wouldn't destroy the Earth anyway. Why I wouldn't destroy the Earth is because it's very wrong (and not just wrong).

Had you followed up and asked me how it is I come to think it's wrong, then that would be a different question, but you didn't ask that question, so I don't understand how it is that I have begged the question.

PS: I'm not saying that I'm not begging the question. I just don't understand it all that well. I thought I did one time, but I still keep getting confused over it. I'm trying not to assume what it is I'm trying to assert. Maybe I'm confusing begging the question with circular reasoning.

By the way, destroying the Earth would also destroy all the inhabitants of Earth, and destroying all the inhabitants of Earth is wrong, so destroying the Earth is wrong. Is that begging the question too? How about innocent people will be killed, and killing of innocent people is harmful, and it's wrong to intentionally inflict harm with no good cause. What is the (or a) right answer?
Sorry, I though you would understand that what I wanted to ask is "Why is it wrong?" =)

There is no right answer, really, its just that "it is wrong" is not a good answer im my book, I wanted to see if you had a more interesting one =)

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.13 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 12:10:08