Tombstone

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 09:59 pm
Done before i shall refresh;

What last words, deathbed, tombstone, epitaph, eulogy, obituary would like to leave behind? If behind is where you are left?
If it is not to personal? if it is dont answer.

What others have you heard that you like?

Voltaire;
Deathbed, 'This is no time to make new enemies'
asked on his deathbed to foreswear satan

Spike Milligan;
Tombstone, 'I told you i was ill'

Dylan Thomas;
Deathbed, sitting up straight no doubt, 'I have just had eighteen whiskeys in a row. I do believe that is a record'.
And then he broke.

Karl Marx;
Deathbed, 'Go on, get out, Last words are for fools who haven't said enough.'
Death makes fools of us all.

James Thurber;
I think Deathbed, 'God bless.. God damn'
And then he was.

sometime sun;
Tombstone (not that i intend to be buried); 'Not unintelligent...' Smile, 'did try to be sometime', 'I was here',Smile 'No more?', 'Still waiting'Smile, 'Once upon a time...'

My last words i suppose i wont know what until i reach them, or they reach me.

Would you prefer the last thought you inflict upon the world to be one that produces a smile even a slight laugh or one that would make for the eyes to be closed and made to think on and on.....?

salima

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 12:00 am
@sometime sun,
i had a great book one time of epitaphs, but i dont know what happened to it. there were two really great ones which i saved but i lost. one i dont even remember, and the other was written by a fellow who must have been an atheist, and i think each line began with the letters of a word or words...either his name or the name of a philosophy or something. it was a very thoughtful and moral set of observations on life yet he was apparently wanting to display the idea that he could find no reason to believe in a creator. the poignant part of the whole thing was that his grave was continually being defaced by the relatives and visitors of the 'good folk' that were his neighbors.

i guess the one i remember most is W.C.Fields "I'd rather be in Philadelphia"

i have a tombstone already laid down where i bought a grave next to someone i loved who died...but that is in america and now i hope i will be buried in india. i think we dont use stones here. i guess forever in america will be a stone with my name and date of birth only as though i went on living forever. (i know the cemetery will resell it after some proper length of time, and i dont think my son wants it)

whatever words people remember that i said is fine with me-i wish i said something everyone would remember after i was gone, whether it was funny or sad or smart or stupid, as long as it did something to help them somehow.

once i wrote a song called 'dont remember me at all'...because too many people remember someone they knew after it is too late and in life paid no attention.

Deckard

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 01:20 am
@salima,
Whenever this question comes up I can only refer to the Japanese tradition of haiku death poetry. The last words of Zen Buddhist monks.

Here's are two examples:

Choko
This final scene I'll not see
to the end...my dream
is fraying.

Kaisho
Evening cherry-blossoms:
I slip the inkstone back into my kimono
this one last time.

And more examples can be found here and elsewhere I'm sure:

http://174.132.129.219/~jisei/haiku1.html

VideCorSpoon

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 09:42 pm
@sometime sun,
The last words of VideCorSpoon shall be;

"Tell... my university I demand... a... refund... (insert sound of me dying here)

G-Thomson

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 05:06 pm
@sometime sun,

Deckard

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 03:00 am
@sometime sun,
"I have the same tie as you only that pattern is reversed."

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 06:15:35