Which would you choose?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

sometime sun

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 08:19 pm
@Fido,
Fido;118430 wrote:
Hypotheticals are nonsense to reason with, and even more so when located in the past... Everyone in the past is dead...Why not ask: Would you rather be dead than alive???...

It is a question about how to die not whether one is going to or not.
How to die is always present, going to die is always future

Amperage

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 08:22 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;118709 wrote:
It is a question about how to die not whether one is going to or not.
How to die is always present, going to die is always future
plus it was supposed to be for fun....occasionally I hear that can be a positive development
it's just one of those which time period would you have rather lived in type questions

sometime sun

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 08:29 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;118710 wrote:
plus it was supposed to be for fun....occasionally I hear that can be a positive development
it's just one of those which time period would you have rather lived in type questions

What soldier and why you were going to die would come into it also.
What warrior class would you choose is the same as what battle.

Amperage

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 08:33 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;118713 wrote:
What soldier and why you were going to die would come into it also.
What warrior class would you choose is the same as what battle.
Being a Samurai warrior would have been cool I think. I mean not only would you get to wear the cool uni, but in their heyday, they were miles ahead of what the rest of the world was doing militarily speaking.

By the end of the feudal period, several hundred thousand firearms existed in Japan and massive armies numbering over 100,000 clashed in battles. By comparison, the largest and most powerful army in Europe, the Spanish, had only several thousand firearms and could only assemble 30,000 troops.

sometime sun

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 08:37 pm
@Deckard,
Deckard;118448 wrote:
Why did I never hear of these before and why aren't there movies and video games about them?

They will be, everything is eventually remembered
and recognised and even realised, look we (projector/viewer) just did it.
All old all anew.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 08:43 pm
@Amperage,
Sometime Sun,

I think Deckard may have been referring to the Hussaria specifically. But heck, maybe we will see winged, armored cavalry men on the battlefield in the future. Seriously, who knows?

Deckard,

I was thumbing through the hussaria pictures and I actually found a video game with winged hussars in them. Its a game known as Empire: Total War. It actually looks pretty neat.

http://i48.tinypic.com/ixedjb.jpg

sometime sun

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 08:47 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;118714 wrote:
Being a Samurai warrior would have been cool I think. I mean not only would you get to wear the cool uni, but in their heyday, they were miles ahead of what the rest of the world was doing militarily speaking.

By the end of the feudal period, several hundred thousand firearms existed in Japan and massive armies numbering over 100,000 clashed in battles. By comparison, the largest and most powerful army in Europe, the Spanish, had only several thousand firearms and could only assemble 30,000 troops.

I would just once be a clansman, a highlander, a Scotish warrior with all that blue face paint to freak out the English, just as the Anglish had done for the Romans some time before.
Astreix and Obelix come to mind with Getafix as the magician and healer, Get it, Get-a-fix?Very Happy the gaul of them Gauls:D

---------- Post added 01-09-2010 at 02:59 AM ----------

VideCorSpoon; you may know, what was the name of the blue dye they used to paint themselves with, i think it may also have been a drug, it was a seed if i remember correctly, i want to say wowed, woowed, woode, dont you just hate it when you forget something you studied?

---------- Post added 01-09-2010 at 03:28 AM ----------

Fighting for freedom is always worth dying for.

Some people call freedom; liberation and some call it democracy and some call it capitalism.

Which of your freedoms is worth dying for?
Which is worth killing for?
Which is worth living for?

VideCorSpoon

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 01:30 am
@sometime sun,

NecromanticSin

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 02:54 am
@Amperage,
would i be a hybid where i was on the side of the guns,and canons,but i had the skills with a sword ? I like that idea. So while everyone is fighting,i run up with a sword,chopping heads off and stabbing people. I'll come out of no where too,element of surprise

xris

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 04:34 am
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon;118763 wrote:
I only found out the other week ,from a Welshman, that khaki is the word for ship with a t, in Gaelic slang. You can imagine when they first saw it saying what a ship colour. Its amazing how uniforms can change even in ones life time. I have worn the battle dress of ww2 and it does not compare at all with modern combat uniforms. When you got wet you stayed wet.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 11:50 am
@xris,
NecromanticSin;118772 wrote:
would i be a hybid where i was on the side of the guns,and canons,but i had the skills with a sword ? I like that idea. So while everyone is fighting,i run up with a sword,chopping heads off and stabbing people. I'll come out of no where too,element of surprise

You would probably like these guys called pioneers then. They functioned like the equivalent of military engineers, but the British (as well as almost every other nation in the world at the time) used them in almost every capacity and attached them to almost every regiment to clear obstacles ahead of them, whether that be trees and overgrowth or gates and ramparts. Also, beards weren't optional. The French (in blue) used their pioneers in much more versatile ways, and had companies of pioneers proceed ahead of a main column to break down defenses and literally act as short term shock troops. For a more bad-ass account of French pioneers, look up the storming of La Haye Saint. Interestingly enough, the British army still maintains the custom of a long beard and mustache for the sergeant of pioneers in honor of the distinction of the pioneers.
http://i45.tinypic.com/mm4iro.jpg

xris;118780 wrote:
I only found out the other week ,from a Welshman, that khaki is the word for ship with a t, in Gaelic slang. You can imagine when they first saw it saying what a ship colour. Its amazing how uniforms can change even in ones life time. I have worn the battle dress of ww2 and it does not compare at all with modern combat uniforms. When you got wet you stayed wet.
http://i45.tinypic.com/zlov2x.jpgHowStuffWorks "Is the Army testing an invisible tank?"

One thing I'm bummed about is that the US stopped its military standard issue upgrade due to the bad economy (at least put it on hold). Programs like force warrior and stuff like that will have to wait a little while longer to be put out on the field. But apparently, DARPA is very far along in making the picture below a reality. Would be neat to see it in my lifetime. Check out the proposed uniform and possible advances below. (Hilariously, the picture is from an article in businessweek! LOL!)

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/03_30/art03_30/0330_62scitec.gif

xris

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 01:12 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
Being a certain ex soldier I have a certain interest in military matters picking up snippets from ex serving soldiers. Im not so well informed as you but have many interesting anecdotes from soldiers going back to the Crimean,sorry Boer. I was always interested in listening and asking old warriors for their tales. The personal stories are so much more interesting than the wider pictures.

I have heard some terrible stories, funny stories and certain brave ones. Im afraid their stories will be lost with me.

One very funny story. A Scottish neighbour , a tank commander who was one of the first to land his tank on sword beach, told me this. He saw a friends tank,a Tommy cooker, get hit and start to burn. He observed Jock and his comrades escape with ease from the burning tank. My friend then saw Jock jump back in the tank and then after a while, escape once again , seemingly empty handed. After the battle my friend asked jock why he had returned to the tank, expecting him to say he was checking everyone had escaped. Jock , replied, he had left his ciggies behind. If he had returned for a comrade, a medal was due, as it was for his fags, all he got was reputation. "That bloody nutter, jock and his fags"

NecromanticSin

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 11:55 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon;118831 wrote:
You would probably like these guys called pioneers then. They functioned like the equivalent of military engineers, but the British (as well as almost every other nation in the world at the time) used them in almost every capacity and attached them to almost every regiment to clear obstacles ahead of them, whether that be trees and overgrowth or gates and ramparts. Also, beards weren't optional. The French (in blue) used their pioneers in much more versatile ways, and had companies of pioneers proceed ahead of a main column to break down defenses and literally act as short term shock troops. For a more bad-ass account of French pioneers, look up the storming of La Haye Saint. Interestingly enough, the British army still maintains the custom of a long beard and mustache for the sergeant of pioneers in honor of the distinction of the pioneers.
http://i45.tinypic.com/mm4iro.jpg

yeahh!!!! :a-ok:

platorepublic

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 12:56 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;118408 wrote:
This isn't really philosophical which is why I placed it here in the General Discussion section. I guess this is something I've wondered about in the past but I've never really asked anyone else their opinion on the matter.

There are only 2 choices
You must choose 1

If you had to be in a battle, would you rather:
(1) Be in one during the age in which armies lined up and shot at each other and used cannons?
Or
(2) Be in one during the age in which armies lined up and had swords, bows and arrows, and catapult ?

I think, given those 2 choices and only those 2 choices, I would probably choose (2) because I feel like my chances of survival would be better

I guess maybe it boils down to the fact that I can't stand not being able to see something coming(I do not enjoy being snuck up on whereas some people aren't necessarily bothered by it) and I think my ability to see things coming would be greater in (2) than (1)

Lol - I love this thread - so random.

I love bow and arrows - so I choose (2).

HexHammer

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 01:08 pm
@Amperage,
1) because they at that time had some kind of ethics and moral for PoW's.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 03:55:48