without it!

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 12:26 am
New question(s),I thought religion would be a good place for me to start,so i'm looking for insight on others thoughts about it,in general. Not any one religion,but organized religion itself.

Without religion, do you think people would have just had ''something else'',or would people have learned to live without the organized religions? Yes, it has influenced many things, but without those events, could ''something else'' have taken it's place, or would most of the history itself be completely different to today. Was religion going to happen either way, or was this something that could have been avoided altogether with better ideas,and concepts of the world,and stand moral rights and wrongs? How much does religion really influence our past,our present and our future?
At my current momment,i feel religion is just like a cult. Someone comes along, feeds into the minds of the weak needing answers, and from there become something beyond themselves,but a supreme being that they look up to,and listen to,and never dare change their mind aganist,for the wrath will be upon them. Jim jones killed over 900 people, beacuse some people just wanted to learn the ''utopia''. If everyone started to banned religion all together, do you think the ones involved would go on a mass killing spree to stop anyone from unbelieving? Or do I just think silly things?

:whistling:

Pyrrho

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 08:36 am
@NecromanticSin,
Your question is too broad. Do you mean, would the history of the world have been different without religion? If so, then obviously, it would have been quite different from what it has been. Religion has influenced many things, such as building cathedrals and torturing "heretics".

NecromanticSin

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 11:20 am
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;118114 wrote:
Your question is too broad. Do you mean, would the history of the world have been different without religion? If so, then obviously, it would have been quite different from what it has been. Religion has influenced many things, such as building cathedrals and torturing "heretics".

I changed it. It did seem a little broad, so hopefully these questions might be better ones for others to give me some insight on. :surrender: I'm just looking to gain knowledge,and wisdom.

Pyrrho

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 04:30 pm
@NecromanticSin,
NecromanticSin;118065 wrote:
New question(s),I thought religion would be a good place for me to start,so i'm looking for insight on others thoughts about it,in general. Not any one religion,but organized religion itself.

Without religion, do you think people would have just had ''something else'',or would people have learned to live without the organized religions? Yes, it has influenced many things, but without those events, could ''something else'' have taken it's place, or would most of the history itself be completely different to today. Was religion going to happen either way, or was this something that could have been avoided altogether with better ideas,and concepts of the world,and stand moral rights and wrongs? How much does religion really influence our past,our present and our future?
At my current momment,i feel religion is just like a cult. Someone comes along, feeds into the minds of the weak needing answers, and from there become something beyond themselves,but a supreme being that they look up to,and listen to,and never dare change their mind aganist,for the wrath will be upon them. Jim jones killed over 900 people, beacuse some people just wanted to learn the ''utopia''. If everyone started to banned religion all together, do you think the ones involved would go on a mass killing spree to stop anyone from unbelieving? Or do I just think silly things?

:whistling:

I don't think that religion was avoidable. People evolved from more primitive primates, and had to figure things out for themselves; there was no one to teach them anything they could not figure out for themselves. So, since people don't like not having answers to their questions, they made up answers as best they could. Every primitive culture has religion or superstition or whatever you want to call it. Today's religions are the result of primitive superstitions, and many even brag about this, as if being the older religion, being from a less advanced era, somehow makes the religion better. Religion is essentially primitive thinking, though it can take on quite complex forms.

You might enjoy David Hume's Natural History of Religion:

Online Library of Liberty - The Natural History of Religion

Someone else might be able to suggest a more modern study of the subject, but Hume is always worth reading.

As for banning religion, I think that is a very bad idea. First, such a ban could never work, as people would privately believe all sorts of nonsense anyway, and second, I don't think trying to ban diverse beliefs is moral. I think that people should believe in proportion to the evidence they have for the particular belief. For more on that idea, see:

burger-book

(It would be best to read all of it, but I particularly recommend the first essay by Clifford. If you read the second essay, be sure to read the third one as well.)

People are often wrong, but making a law that they must always be right is not going to make them right.

As for the future, the world is becoming more secular, though I doubt if it will ever be the case that there is no religion, until, that is, humans go extinct.

Fido

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 05:14 pm
@NecromanticSin,
Religion is the most a natural form for mankind because of the spiritual conception of reality...But that was mankind's bad luck, and ditto for those stuck with religion today... Can you imagine how poor mankind was when magic was its sole defense against fear, and its only technology???Yet all we have has grown out of religion, science and philosophy, mostly, but the faithful still are doomed... Failure is their future if prayers are the difference between enough and not...No thinking person would live in faith and not take care of business... And many who say they believe must act as though they do not, and follow the old advice and help themselves...

Ahhhhhz

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 05:28 pm
@NecromanticSin,
A belief in God and attendant religious practices are rooted in brain architecture according to several neuro-scientists:

"Why God Won't Go Away/Brain Science and the Biology of Belief"--Newberg/D'Aquill/Rause

sometime sun

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 05:45 pm
@Fido,
NecromanticSin;
People have learned to live with organised religion as much as learned to live without it.
What is interesting to me is, how and for what reason do we learn to learn how and for what reason.

Are you asking if religion decides history?

The better ideas and concepts of the world you think we may have missed out on would be also be known as our 'religion' to some degree?

Define the 'religion' you are speaking of, what it was, or was it always 'cult' for your validation/interpretation?

900 people died in a sea of billions who live pretty good lives.

You dont think silly things unless you want to do some of that killing:D

NecromanticSin

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 06:26 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;118305 wrote:

You might enjoy David Hume's Natural History of Religion:

Online Library of Liberty - The Natural History of Religion

burger-book

thank you for the suggestions :bigsmile: and your insight on my thoughts helped

---------- Post added 01-07-2010 at 07:36 PM ----------

Fido;118316 wrote:
Religion is the most a natural form for mankind because of the spiritual conception of reality...But that was mankind's bad luck, and ditto for those stuck with religion today... Can you imagine how poor mankind was when magic was its sole defense against fear, and its only technology???Yet all we have has grown out of religion, science and philosophy, mostly, but the faithful still are doomed... Failure is their future if prayers are the difference between enough and not...No thinking person would live in faith and not take care of business... And many who say they believe must act as though they do not, and follow the old advice and help themselves...

thank you for your thoughts :bigsmile: it helps bring up more thoughts and questions into my own mind.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 04:30:39