Remote control.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Remote control.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 12:50 pm
It is not a matter of if but when unless we pull our thumb out.

I had a power cut yesterday when i was in the middle of a dvd, now i had a book to sit down and read and wait till i could get back to my task but my neighbours did not. Within ten minutes of this power cut they started shouting at each other, arguing for arguments sake but raised voices they had and unhappy they were (i make generalisations here they may enjoy pissing off the other).
But it made me stop and think what will or would happen if the world had no television, internet or computer to distract people fromm other people?

What will the human world do with out their televisions and electrical entertainment? (not to mention no refrigeration)

Will it dive or will it fly, will it find air or will it suffocate?
Will it become a faith based/ruled society again/more?
Are there far to many people around for there to ever be a populace with out the all mighty salve that is television?
By sheer number would we be overwhelmed?
What would this world come to if it were cut off from its goggle-box?
Is the T.V the population controller?
Dose it need this control?
And what would it be without it?

xris

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 01:23 pm
@sometime sun,
As one of the old gits who has lived through such times , you are bored shipless. Books, a piano and early nights in the winter and in the summer, out as long as one can. I think I would blow my brains out.

Jebediah

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 01:35 pm
@xris,
Play charades. People used to learn musical instruments too, and play for each other. That kind of thing. We'd cope just fine.

The main form of recreation is still socializing.

NecromanticSin

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 06:15 pm
@sometime sun,
People would just read,and write more to distract themselves from others. If they really wanted to be that anti-soical. Anyway we would probably either still rely on letters,and messager birds but we would be cutting down a lot more trees to print out new papers to let out the info about what's going on,otherwise people would really go MAD.
However, if it wasn't what they use to do, we would have just figured something else to use,but i wonder if it would be better then the way things are now,or the same? Would it just be as easy as being on the internet,or picking up a phone? or something more complex? Considering this is the way things have played out, the idea of something more complex but more simple to be in contact without actually having to physically be around each other doesn't sound right.

Also would you consider that if we didn't have those things, does that mean we wouldn't have energy to power a house,and be using candles besides lights? along those lines...

sometime sun

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 06:44 pm
@xris,
Are there not far to many people to all be out at the same time?
There really are not that many parks anymore and a museum has a maximum occupancy, everything is pretty busy now and most people stay at home not knowing how to knit.
But then again i suppose we would find new ways of entertaining ourselves at home, but would we need the all mighty story teller again and would this mean the resurgeance of what it is to have faith which is to be hooked by the story.
And the point is made and still remains, there are not enough trees left to make into enough books for the entire worlds interested open population.

NecromanticSin; I was trying to avoid the obvious apocolyptic scenario by trying to imagine the a lighter side of the electricity failing (which it will unless we changed yesterday), there would not be enough wax for even a fraction of the populace to live as we would have ourselves romantically living by fire light (although we will never forget how to set things on fire, first/last lesson and all) and most would freeze to death or suffer heat stroke all what one could easily call death by exposure, but as i said i tried to stay away from that, just thinking that if we had a chance to brace against the elements (which have not gone away,we merely hide from and have become good at our denial of nature) if we could still hold the human race together? what would it be like if we could indeed keep the romance alive, but most of all would we be able to speak soft poetry to one another in dimmly lit rooms without the distraction from ourselves, or are we to far unacustomed of ourselves to be able to feel comfortable or non combatative with others company, for the one thing would be sure, we would need to be with our families again and we would need to make friends quickly.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Remote control.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 01:30:33