Why did you wake up this morning?

  1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Why did you wake up this morning?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Icon
 
Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 01:05 pm
I have often pondered this question and have often come to a conclusion related to my responsibilities or to my desire to do something new and exciting. I have answered with simple things like "to smile" or "to love".

In my opinion, none of these answers is adequate. When you think about it, this is the question that we are all ultimately trying to answer in our daily persuit of knowledge and wisdom. This is the answer that is sought by philosophy and science alike.

So what is your answer? Why did you wake up this morning?
 
xris
 
Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 01:28 pm
@Icon,
Icon;117350 wrote:
I have often pondered this question and have often come to a conclusion related to my responsibilities or to my desire to do something new and exciting. I have answered with simple things like "to smile" or "to love".

In my opinion, none of these answers is adequate. When you think about it, this is the question that we are all ultimately trying to answer in our daily persuit of knowledge and wisdom. This is the answer that is sought by philosophy and science alike.

So what is your answer? Why did you wake up this morning?
I had responsibilities and had to go to work.
 
kennethamy
 
Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 01:40 pm
@Icon,
Icon;117350 wrote:


So what is your answer? Why did you wake up this morning?


I guess I had enough sleep, and was ready to get up.
 
TickTockMan
 
Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 01:42 pm
@xris,
Because I was no longer asleep.
 
GoshisDead
 
Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 01:50 pm
@TickTockMan,
I was trying to escape the Bloody Fanged Dancing Hippopotimae.
 
Icon
 
Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 01:58 pm
@Icon,
I woke up this morning because I was supposed to.
 
Zetherin
 
Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 02:03 pm
@Icon,
Icon;117350 wrote:
I have often pondered this question and have often come to a conclusion related to my responsibilities or to my desire to do something new and exciting. I have answered with simple things like "to smile" or "to love".

In my opinion, none of these answers is adequate. When you think about it, this is the question that we are all ultimately trying to answer in our daily persuit of knowledge and wisdom. This is the answer that is sought by philosophy and science alike.

So what is your answer? Why did you wake up this morning?


Do you mean why did I physically wake up? Well, I suppose there is a scientific answer dealing with my sleep cycle (glandular reasons, I think).

Is this what you're asking?
 
Icon
 
Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 02:09 pm
@Icon,
I am more talking about on an intellectual and metaphysical level.
 
Zetherin
 
Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 02:16 pm
@Icon,
Icon;117377 wrote:
I am more talking about on an intellectual and metaphysical level.


You mean the expression "wake up!"? Like, when someone is daydreaming in class and the teacher says, "Wake up, Billy!". She wasn't literally telling Billy to wake up, because he was already awake, but she was telling him to pay attention.

Why did I start paying attention this morning? Well, probably because I didn't want to trip and fall when I got out of bed.

Or, are you asking me: What is your motivation for living another day? If so, this is eerily similar to the, "Why don't you commit suicide?" thread.
 
Joe
 
Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 02:17 pm
@Icon,
I couldnt stay in my dreams. The lucid ones are very touchy. I always try to stay in dream state as long as possible. The longer I do the better my day feels.

That and Ive started smoking pot again for breakfast.

Smile
 
TickTockMan
 
Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 03:32 pm
@Joe,
Joe;117382 wrote:

That and Ive started smoking pot again for breakfast.


. . . ah yes. The old "Wake and Bake" routine. I almost remember those days.
 
Aedes
 
Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 08:14 pm
@Icon,
Icon;117350 wrote:
Why did you wake up this morning?
Because my son needed a new diaper and he let us know in no uncertain terms Smile

I'm not being glib -- we get up because we are motivated by things. People who have clinical depression often lack motivation and often just lie in bed. The two go hand in hand.
 
kennethamy
 
Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 08:31 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;117474 wrote:
Because my son needed a new diaper and he let us know in no uncertain terms Smile

I'm not being glib -- we get up because we are motivated by things. People who have clinical depression often lack motivation and often just lie in bed. The two go hand in hand.


Lying in bed awake is not waking up.
 
Aedes
 
Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 08:33 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;117489 wrote:
Lying in bed awake is not waking up.
Agreed. We may not be able to reflect on the reason we get up and do things, but all healthy people do it. This was one of Camus' major questions -- how, why do we even live when it can all just be randomly wiped away in a second?
 
kennethamy
 
Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 08:41 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;117491 wrote:
Agreed. We may not be able to reflect on the reason we get up and do things, but all healthy people do it. This was one of Camus' major questions -- how, why do we even live when it can all just be randomly wiped away in a second?


I, myself, do not find that a puzzling question. Do you? I see no reason to hasten my departure just because I might depart before I want to do so.
 
Aedes
 
Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 08:47 pm
@Icon,
If I were you I'd read The Myth of Sisyphus if you haven't.

We don't just lie there and starve to death. But if we really and truly apprehend how absurd life is, how meaningless it is, then why is it that we still go on? It doesn't really matter how you yourself get through it -- this is philosophy, Kenneth, philosophy is about generalization and not about case reports.
 
Amperage
 
Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 09:14 pm
@Aedes,
I woke up because I feel out of sleep, I got up because I had things I wanted to do
 
kennethamy
 
Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 09:53 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;117504 wrote:
If I were you I'd read The Myth of Sisyphus if you haven't.

We don't just lie there and starve to death. But if we really and truly apprehend how absurd life is, how meaningless it is, then why is it that we still go on? It doesn't really matter how you yourself get through it -- this is philosophy, Kenneth, philosophy is about generalization and not about case reports.


Oh, I have read it. And I have commented on it several times on this forum. Camus poses the question, why don't we commit suicide? And his answer is that since there is no reason to do anything, there is no reason to commit suicide. But, I think that before considering that answer (if that is the word) we should take a long look at the question. The question supposes that there is a reason for not committing suicide. But what could that reason be outside of any context? The question would be like asking me, out of the blue, why don't I go to Mozambique tomorrow. The question makes no sense without a previous context. A person who was suffering from unmanageable pain who is going to die soon could sensibly be asked that question, since there is a context, and a possible reason for his committing suicide. But there is no such context in Camus's question. There is the customary philosophical assumption that what makes sense in the concrete must make sense in the abstract. In the way that the question, "Why don't you go to Mozambique tomorrow?" would make sense in the concrete, but not in the abstract. In philosophy, look first at the question. Then you might not need to search for an answer. I don't think that life is absurd. Why should I? It isn't. And, even if it were (in some sense I know not what) why would it be correct to commit suicide? The thing to do would be to make it (or, at least one's own) less absurd.
 
Deckard
 
Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 04:19 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;117522 wrote:
Oh, I have read it. And I have commented on it several times on this forum. Camus poses the question, why don't we commit suicide? And his answer is that since there is no reason to do anything, there is no reason to commit suicide. But, I think that before considering that answer (if that is the word) we should take a long look at the question. The question supposes that there is a reason for not committing suicide. But what could that reason be outside of any context? The question would be like asking me, out of the blue, why don't I go to Mozambique tomorrow. The question makes no sense without a previous context. A person who was suffering from unmanageable pain who is going to die soon could sensibly be asked that question, since there is a context, and a possible reason for his committing suicide. But there is no such context in Camus's question. There is the customary philosophical assumption that what makes sense in the concrete must make sense in the abstract. In the way that the question, "Why don't you go to Mozambique tomorrow?" would make sense in the concrete, but not in the abstract. In philosophy, look first at the question. Then you might not need to search for an answer. I don't think that life is absurd. Why should I? It isn't. And, even if it were (in some sense I know not what) why would it be correct to commit suicide? The thing to do would be to make it (or, at least one's own) less absurd.


Sisyphus can be read as one long hypothetical. Perhaps the world is not absurd but what if it was? What if there was no point? Hypothetically, what if all hope really is lost? What if there is no chance of getting the stone all the way up the hill? Camus says "the struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy."

This struggle is really against the absurd when it has become overwhelming. That is the moment when one is most apt to consider suicide and so that is the context. Not everyone has experienced such despair or dread or nausea, but it seems to be one of the required initiatory rites to become an existentialist.
 
NecromanticSin
 
Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 10:38 am
@Icon,
beacuse if i over slept,i feel more tired and weak during the day on a rather boring side of it.
On the other hand,in a general stand point of ''why do i wake up every morning'',is a whole other thing. I mean to put it lightly,to live. Of course it's stressful, painful, full of suffering but then,sometimes can be full of love, enjoyment and the feeling of going somewhere in life. I'm on the low end of the scale so to speak,but for my reasoning of being awake everyday,is to meet those high points even if just for a momment. To take it it, to feel it within me, to experience whatever it might be, and be able to re live the momment in my head during those depressing,dark almost all the time days.
The reason I don't mind just a momment of peace,for a long time of suffering is,beacuse I find comfort in the darkness. However alittle bit of light spices me right up sometimes,and a change is always something to enjoy.
:shifty:
 
 

 
  1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Why did you wake up this morning?
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 06/22/2021 at 11:37:32