H S Thomsons big deal?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » H S Thomsons big deal?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 05:52 pm
What is the big deal with Hunter S. Thomson?

When i was young and impressionable (instead of old and impressive) I read one of his books 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas' and was impressed.
I think I'm grown up now?
I watched this documentary tonight 'Gonzo the life and work of Hunter S. Thomson' and was truly disappointed by him, his egotism, his friends (except Tom Wolfe) and his death.
Do you have to be young and impressionable even just juvenile to appreciate him, his work, his death? (while Bob Dylan plays in the background none the less) (dont forget sarcasm is for the boring)
If you are and appeciator of him and what work? I would say stay away from this documentary, what a waste of my time (if time can ever be wasted?) this effort of saccharin escapism evangelism.

Love the work of the artist Ralph Steadman though, (the one who does all the illustrations of him and his books)

So if you could please tell me impressively what was his big deal?

I may still read Transmetropolitan a graphic novel based on the asumptions and ideals i do not as yet recognise him for, enlighten me, impress upon me what his contribution was?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » H S Thomsons big deal?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 05:19:55