Buy a tree

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

xris

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 01:31 pm
I had a thought what if everyone bought a tree in one of the rain forests. Price would depend on the size of the tree. Can you imagine if everyone who could afford a tree actually bought one, we could then save our forests. How do I instigate an idea such as this. Merry Xmas everybody..

Zetherin

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 01:45 pm
@xris,
xris;113857 wrote:
I had a thought what if everyone bought a tree in one of the rain forests. Price would depend on the size of the tree. Can you imagine if everyone who could afford a tree actually bought one, we could then save our forests. How do I instigate an idea such as this. Merry Xmas everybody..

If everyone bought a tree, and presumably chopped down the tree to put in their homes for christmas, how would this save the rainforests?

Or, do you mean that we would buy a tree and then leave it in the rainforest? If so, are we entitled to use our tree in the normal Christmas fashion and put presents under it? Would this federation/campaign/program provide transportation costs so I could fly to my tree, drop my presents off, and stay for a jolly Christmas with the family? I suppose we wouldn't need to clean up the wrapping paper either, as long as it was biodegradable.

Hundreds of thousands of families from across the world braving poison dart frogs, malaria, and hungry anacondas, all to have a nice tropical Christmas with their rainforest tree of choice. How heartwarming. Of course, most children will be too worried not to walk into the lair of a jaguar to care much about Santa coming down the chimney this year (or, rather, through the canopy).

Catchabula

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 01:48 pm
@xris,
Hi Xris, I intended to say the same thing as Zetherin, but you have to be faster than your own shadow here ;-). Anyway, Merry Christmas to you too!

xris

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 02:26 pm
@Catchabula,
O dear the world is doomed. What a fool I am to have such ideas with consumptive or is that consumative philosphers and I thought i was going to save the world.

ShallowThinker

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 02:31 pm
@xris,
Unfortunately, if everyone bought a tree, then that tree will no longer have economic value. The tree needs to be cut down and have a new one planted so that it can perpetuate the economy or even life itself.

It's like the grave and the plot. What if everyone bought a plot for their own grave. Overtime, the earth would be covered in cemetaries...kinda dark thought for Christmas... Oh well, Happy New Year!

xris

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 02:42 pm
@ShallowThinker,
But you cant cut down my tree, it is mine forever. Subsidising the owners of the forest to save it, is that a strange idea? You are telling me with money I cant preserve the rain forests? It has a value and that value is what we would secure, preserve.

ShallowThinker

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 02:48 pm
@xris,
Nothing is forever. whoever sells you the tree will not cut it down for the time being. But eventually it will be cut down or wilt and die. I suspect the former rather that the latter.

If you buy a tree at the corner lot it may cost $75. If you buy a tree in the ground "forever", it will cost the price of the real estate... assuming freehold land status and could cost you a pretty penny depending on location, location, location.

As for preservation, i'm more inclined to recycling, reducing waste and usage. If everyone bought a tree, it would only encourage the capitalist and greed factor in unscrupulous tree vendors.

Dave Allen

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 03:26 pm
@xris,
Some people have bought swathes of Brazilian rainforest.

Unfortunately, defending your swathe of Brazilian rainforest from illegal loggers is not possible from your armchair.

So purchases of rainforest have not done much to assauge deforestation.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.18 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 04:01:58