Giving up Immortality

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Giving up Immortality

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 07:49 pm
(i know it has probably been asked and eluded to many a time but)

Do we get a choice where immortality is concerned?
If we are all immortal beings; by choosing to not want/need to be, can you give it up or away or back?
(who wants to live forever?)
This could also translate to life as general time line?
Can i choose not to live? whether forever or for a day?
I suppose this is saying that the bearer of suicide has this as their final consequence/sequence, meaning 'there is no choice/life left' when it come down or up to suicide, as not one knows the limits others can or not bear to proceed, or do you proceed anyway even after death?
Those who cannot bear life; are they likely to be able once life left to endure immortality?
Is eternity the same as life, in the repsect of time but not position?
Is the eternal the same as the mortal, just longer, or does length have nothing to with one or the other?
Can we choose not to be immoratal? like we can choose not to live?
Do we only become immortal when life is over?
So again, is life part of immortality?
Does our life dictate our immortality or does our immortality dictate our life?
(trying to step away from k(h)arma and action consequence when answering this, it is about the state not why we get there, not the reason for hell nor the reason for ending oneself, just that you are and may choose not to be with eternity or life)
Can we choose to not be immortal? As i have decided that the choices/destinctions of life are in no way comprable to that of eternity,
what keeps us alive is different to what keeps us eternal.

Answer one or all of these questions please and please please make your own and ask me if that is either what i am asking or what I am answering.

I would love to hear from any atheist answering this. Or tell me how why it is unanswerable. Unanswerable not ignorable.

IntoTheLight

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 11:30 am
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;106746 wrote:

Do we get a choice where immortality is concerned?

What makes you certain that immortality exists to begin with?

-ITL-

sometime sun

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 11:32 am
@sometime sun,
Because i both cried and tried to laugh tonight.

I may or not get back more to you on this later depending what immoratality means to you, and whether i find i need to prove mine and yours to you or to me.

---------- Post added 11-29-2009 at 02:44 AM ----------

TRY to prove................

madel

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2009 05:31 am
@sometime sun,
I'll be honest...I'm not entirely sure what most of your questions are asking because I do not understand which perspective you are writing them from. That is...the words all make sense, but not in the ways they are presented and because I know nothing about your own belief structure, I cannot even begin to try to discern what you're trying to ask and as such can't really respond to any of them.

Please please don't take that the wrong way - with so very many viewpoints from which we are all coming at topics of interest, it is crucial, I think, to be very clear in asking questions...Maybe clarify a bit, please? Smile

The only thing I really can discern is that you seem to be running off the assumption that immortality exists at all, as has been alluded to.

I don't understand your reasoning in response to ITL...elaborate, please?

For now, all I can really offer is that I think that immortality is possible...I just do not think it is possible in most of the ways commonly believed. That is...I do not believe there is a Heaven or a Hell or a purgatory or a anything like that. I also believe that it is possible that we -could- be immortal, but not that we inherently are; I believe our potential for immortality lies in harnessing consciousness and understanding the qualia.

sometime sun

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2009 04:25 pm
@madel,
madel;110895 wrote:
I'll be honest...I'm not entirely sure what most of your questions are asking because I do not understand which perspective you are writing them from. That is...the words all make sense, but not in the ways they are presented and because I know nothing about your own belief structure, I cannot even begin to try to discern what you're trying to ask and as such can't really respond to any of them.

Please please don't take that the wrong way - with so very many viewpoints from which we are all coming at topics of interest, it is crucial, I think, to be very clear in asking questions...Maybe clarify a bit, please? Smile

The only thing I really can discern is that you seem to be running off the assumption that immortality exists at all, as has been alluded to.

I don't understand your reasoning in response to ITL...elaborate, please?

For now, all I can really offer is that I think that immortality is possible...I just do not think it is possible in most of the ways commonly believed. That is...I do not believe there is a Heaven or a Hell or a purgatory or a anything like that. I also believe that it is possible that we -could- be immortal, but not that we inherently are; I believe our potential for immortality lies in harnessing consciousness and understanding the qualia.

Why do you need to know what they mean to me? what do they mean to you is what i am asking, (I already know what they mean to me:D)

I worry about contaminating open inspection.

First impressions are reliable,
But i want your interpretations/impressions first, not my own.
I hope this is acceptable/according.:whistling:

That being said you are totaly correct i do slightly cop out of my questions/threads, but to ask is not always to know, to many people ask questions they already know the answer to, aren't you tired of hearing yourself saying the same thing over and over, worse hearing others repetition?.
That being said; I am widely/broadly asking, (It all does not, nothing matters if there is not eternity, in so far as nothing has consequence/matter without it) so i presume/deduce things do have consequence and somethings matter, mean something (esspecially if i am God), deduction that there is eternity.
Not being totally sure if we are not, even in perishable vessels/vassals eternal. Debunking somewhat humanity as a structure(humanity is built upon death) and what it is to be human, born, live, die (sacrifice, rely).
So i accept eternity, yes that it is there yes.
But does this then stand that i should accept/believe in life? just because of eternity?
So i also distinguish between living till we die and living till we ever.
The question is, can one being be able to give up life also give up their eternity?
eternity is that which has no choice?
And if we cannot choose that we are eternal, why is it so different from choosing not to live?
Why are we not allowed to not be eternal?
Lends to the fact when we die we no longer remain human therefore naturally in this new state/station/statement need to live for ever.

I hope this makes clearer.

My reasoning in responce to ITL ;('but no time to know him')
It means my experience transisted/transcended function.
So proves the resurrection among other things.

It meant further that, by the intention inate to try and cheer bring joy to the self proves a whole slew of other things that prove ther soul.

So immortal is a big 'COULD BE' with you,
i feel when hearing this congratulation should be in order.

I hear you saying 'Could be we have to earn our soul, earn our eternity.'
I like/agree this enough to possibly believe it is truth.

But what i was asking;
eternity if inate or earnestly achievable surely some may choose to either get off the wheel or not participate at all.
Can we choose to give it up if we have it, or simply not bother aplying for it?

Can we allow ourselves no hope in hell?
(meaning the choice could very well do away with hell entirely)

Thanks for your reply.

Can we die and know there is no more?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Giving up Immortality
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 06:09:44