Why attractiveness?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Why attractiveness?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 07:06 pm
This is a question I've wanted to ask just to see whether others have different opinions on the matter. We have sex because we find someone attractive. At least thats one of the main reasons. But if you could choose a different way of wanting to have sex with someone instead of because the person is attractive what would it be?

EmperorNero

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 01:30 pm
@Masquerade,
We want to have sex with people with the genetic attributes that will result in healthy offspring. Usually that is what we tend to see as attractiveness.
I for one am very attracted to intelligence. Some time I even think it's my number one criteria. :unsure:
But that too is just attractiveness.

mister kitten

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 03:09 pm
@Masquerade,
Love, pleasure

Although, I don't plan to have sex any time soon. Sex is very disgusting to me.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 03:58 pm
@Masquerade,
Masquerade;97536 wrote:
This is a question I've wanted to ask just to see whether others have different opinions on the matter. We have sex because we find someone attractive. At least thats one of the main reasons. But if you could choose a different way of wanting to have sex with someone instead of because the person is attractive what would it be?

Or maybe... just perhaps... to have kids and continue the human species?

kennethamy

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 06:40 pm
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero;97708 wrote:
We want to have sex with people with the genetic attributes that will result in healthy offspring. Usually that is what we tend to see as attractiveness.
I for one am very attracted to intelligence. Some time I even think it's my number one criteria. :unsure:
But that too is just attractiveness.

I guess everything that attracts is attractiveness, then. I thought that we were talking of physical attraction.

Masquerade

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 07:55 pm
@kennethamy,
Instead of physical attraction could there be something else. Made up is all I'm asking.

manfred

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 07:02 pm
@Masquerade,
Sure,people usually fear or question what they dont understand,i would go so far as to say some even lash out because they "cant" understand what the attraction is that makes them want to have sex with the other person.Maybe attraction really isn't the driving force behind sex,almost like a horrible smell that you keep wanting to smell for some reason,it may just come down to something as simple as curiosity or some good ol' fashion selfishness.

xXKanpekiXx

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 10:44 pm
@Masquerade,
Looking at this issue from an evolutionary standpoint, this attraction to certain qualities can be easily explained. Some men are attracted to women with large breasts due to the enhanced capability to rear children with them. Perhaps you are attracted to the intelligence in a person because you'd like your offspring to benefit from such excellent genes. There are, of course, other factors leading into a full blown attraction, but I believe this is the basic foundation for it.

Zetherin

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 07:37 am
@Masquerade,
xXKanpekiXx wrote:

Looking at this issue from an evolutionary standpoint, this attraction to certain qualities can be easily explained. Some men are attracted to women with large breasts due to the enhanced capability to rear children with them.

What enhanced capability? Smaller breasts can rear children just the same, can they not? I don't buy that men are attracted to big breasts simply on the grounds that they have an enhanced capability to rear children (if they even do). What makes you think this? I'm attracted to smaller breasts, for the record - does this mean that I don't want my children reared properly, or where does this fit in with your evolutionary standpoint? Perhaps I like smaller breasts on females because they could potentially carry more babies in their arms (bigger breasts may prevent this)?

Quote:

Perhaps you are attracted to the intelligence in a person because you'd like your offspring to benefit from such excellent genes.

Or maybe he just desires someone to keep up with him intellectually. Why does what you're attracted to always have to go back to your offspring or genes? Is it possible that we are attracted to people for reasons not related to evolutionary progression? Are we attracted to the aesthetics of a painting or statue because of some inherent desire to keep the human race going?

manfred

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 08:09 am
@Zetherin,
Like i said,some good ol' fashion selfishness.

Zetherin

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 08:28 am
@manfred,
manfred;99429 wrote:
Like i said,some good ol' fashion selfishness.

Being attracted to someone is selfish? How?

manfred

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 08:43 am
@Zetherin,
Because it only serves your needs.I have to leave,but i would like to continue this conversation.

Zetherin

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 09:10 am
@Masquerade,
It's not selfish to find someone aesthetically pleasing, any more than it's selfish to find a painting aesthetically pleasing, or to find a food dish texturally pleasing. Is enjoying a song from your favorite band selfish? How is it compromising anyone else's interest? Who am I inconveniencing?

Serving your needs isn't necessarily selfish. I had breakfast this morning to satisfy my need to eat. Was I being selfish?

manfred

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 05:36 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;99447 wrote:
It's not selfish to find someone aesthetically pleasing, any more than it's selfish to find a painting aesthetically pleasing, or to find a food dish texturally pleasing. Is enjoying a song from your favorite band selfish? How is it compromising anyone else's interest? Who am I inconveniencing?

Serving your needs isn't necessarily selfish. I had breakfast this morning to satisfy my need to eat. Was I being selfish?

You dont have sex with your breakfast.
All i was offering was a different explanation for the origional question asked by the author of this thread.Selfishness is a very good reason to want to have sex with another person.Some people dont care how attractive another person is,you know it's not always about that,some people are more addicted to the challenge than the actual act itself.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Why attractiveness?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 11:42:47