The Value of Money

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » The Value of Money

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Fido

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 09:17 pm
Caroline;96664 wrote:
Wisdom is precious, money is nothing but paper with green ink on it, it devalues everyday, it means nothing.
Thanks.

Money has the value, which is to say: Meaning, that we give to it... Aristippus told his daughter to never put a value on anything she could live without... For a sophist, he saw things well enough as they are...We all need to free ourselves from the glitter we usually paint all over human nature... The reason that philosophy has done us so little good is that people are doing it, and usually serving their own purposes while they do so... Sure, I want to serve humanity as long as I can get mine first... Whether we want to admit it or not, some one is putting a price on our quest... We look for truth as a moral good, and look to define all moral concepts which we know as good; and we are free to do so as long as the rent is paid...Some vile bastard is putting money in his pocket, and calling what we do foolish because there is no money in it... Where money is dear, honor is cheap...In fact, where money is dear, all moral virtues have a price on their heads... It is not for the poor...Philosophy has never been for the poor, and for that reason philosophy has made so little headway... The rich need only so much truth as they can use...

kennethamy

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 09:57 pm
@Fido,
Caroline;96664 wrote:
Wisdom is precious, money is nothing but paper with green ink on it, it devalues everyday, it means nothing.
Thanks.

(Some) money is paper with green ink on it, but it is not true that it is nothing but paper with green ink on it. It is wise to remember that.

Fido

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 05:31 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;96835 wrote:
(Some) money is paper with green ink on it, but it is not true that it is nothing but paper with green ink on it. It is wise to remember that.

Money is also a form of relationship, and like all moral forms, we give to money its meaning...What sort of meaning will we give to it when the rich have it all, and we have none... Won't we then have to find other forms to give meaning to??? Now we see where a moral good, wisdom, has become an article of commerce...It may be, that if attached to some educational institution, and with the designation edu, rather than com, that it would cost less, but never be free... Education too, is a moral form, and when education is so expensive, and so necessary to advance and success in life, what shall all of us who cannot afford formal education think of it????There is something sinister, and subversive about free thought....Even in Greece where the slaves slaved and the masters thought, they could not keep their thoughts from undermining their whole society, even while it supported them...Thought finds the weakness of accepted ideas, and even when it goes about affirming most of what it challenges, the damage has been done... It is one thing to tell an educated man that he has the right to challenge all the thought upon which his society rests as fact, and it is another thing to tell some one having nothing, especially nothing to defend that he too is free to challenge the accepted wisdom of his day...The successful and educated are all Pangloss, and the poor are all Paine...Philosophy should be kept from the poor, and given to the rich... A free thought is dangerous, but a tamed thought is a beautiful and peaceful pursuit...

Caroline

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 08:34 am
@Fido,
What I'm trying to say is that we put value on money, it is man made. The origin of money comes from man seeking a way to barter, e.g.he has a chicken I want and I don't have anything he wants so I give him a piece of paper, (that has value), so he can get something he wants from elsewhere. It's a system that developed and found very useful especially after the Industrial Revolution as we stopped farming our land and moved to the city to seek employment, it's still man made. Wisdom, is more spiritual I'd say as opposed to material,(money), it is something else that we keep with us and use everyday to get what we want whatever that maybe, for me personally its love peace and tranquillity. Now that you can't put a price on, money can't buy me love to quote a Beatles song. I mean you all know that right?
Thanks.

Fido

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 01:20 pm
@Fido,
Money comes from Gold, the thing that makes a girls eyes chaching...It is all about sex, and better yet...The thing is, that control of money, like control of the necessities of life gives to simple individuals the means to warp the value we find in money...You must sometimes give away your house for a price only to find that the money is going down in value faster than the best rate any bank pays... As Jesus asked; Whose face is on the coin??? The emperor owned all the money, just as now, the government owns it all... In other words, the government is responsible for the value of the money, and good leadership means the money is worth more... Bad leadership means everyone must deflate the value of money so it will not ruin them...The government inflates the money supply the way a man clips coins, -at the risk of its collective neck...Under English law, counterfeiting is treason... The government counterfeits its own currency because it dares not to tax the people... How then does anyone hang the lot of them???

We need it money because money has currency... That is what forms are, what they do.... People say this value equals that trust... Well the rule is that with all forms, some people are always cashing in the trust to enjoy the value...When they suck the value out of the form it dies... It is not just money, or government, or law, or religion where this happens...People are continually trading on their honor and trust...The smart ones try to give value for value... The dumasses just want to take everybody, and it ruins the game...

Caroline

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 01:29 pm
@Fido,
I think it depends what you do with the money, I mean you can use it for good things like feeding starving people in Africa and what not as for the girls well I know I don't own an ounce of gold, nor a blood diamond or a fancy car that pollutes the atmosphere, (don't think I will in this lifetime, sigh), if I had a choice I'd choose a nice Ferrari run on electric or something non pollutive, these are my values.
Thanks

kennethamy;96835 wrote:

I think you misunderstand me Kennathmy, because it is us who gives it value and we can take it away but we don't have to, just have to put it to a good/better use.
Thanks.

I think the government does try but it's hands are tied, such as business men threaten to take their business/job opportunities elsewhere, to another country if the government doesn't create certain policies in the interest of the business men and of course there is a certain amount of corruption too, but not enough to bring it all crumbling down thank goodness, the government has a hard job and I believe it does the best it can to it's abilities. A new system within the current government is needed I think.
Thanks.

Fido

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 08:57 pm
@Caroline,
Caroline;96944 wrote:
I think it depends what you do with the money, I mean you can use it for good things like feeding starving people in Africa and what not as for the girls well I know I don't own an ounce of gold, nor a blood diamond or a fancy car that pollutes the atmosphere, (don't think I will in this lifetime, sigh), if I had a choice I'd choose a nice Ferrari run on electric or something non pollutive, these are my values.
Thanks

I think you misunderstand me Kennathmy, because it is us who gives it value and we can take it away but we don't have to, just have to put it to a good/better use.
Thanks.

I think the government does try but it's hands are tied, such as business men threaten to take their business/job opportunities elsewhere, to another country if the government doesn't create certain policies in the interest of the business men and of course there is a certain amount of corruption too, but not enough to bring it all crumbling down thank goodness, the government has a hard job and I believe it does the best it can to it's abilities. A new system within the current government is needed I think.
Thanks.

When the government lets one part of the population prey on another part because the first part threatens the government then no part of the government is worth saving...They are not only useless, but gutless...Look at how often the slave masters threatened the government unless they got their way, and what good did it ultimately do???

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » The Value of Money
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 03:23:05