What are you afraid of?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » What are you afraid of?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

William

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 05:41 am
I will contend that you are afraid of anything that is not the exact duplicate of "YOURSELF". The following is what a man by the name of Charles Dickens stated regarding *it :

"Fear is often preceded by astonishment, and is so far akin to it, that both lead to the senses of sight and hearing being instantly aroused. In both cases the eyes and mouth are widely opened, and the eyebrows raised. The frightened man at first stands like a statue motionless and breathless, or crouches down as if instinctively to escape observation. The heart beats quickly and violently, so that it palpitates or knocks against the ribs... That the skin is much affected under the sense of great fear, we see in the marvellous manner in which perspiration immediately exudes from it... The hairs also on the skin stand erect; and the superficial muscles shiver. In connection with the disturbed action of the heart, the breathing is hurried. The salivary glands act imperfectly; the mouth becomes dry, and is often opened and shut"

Now I ask you, what the "dickens" are you afraid of, Ha!?
I think people are afraid of "everything", and in that respect, what would happen if we were not so afraid of anything?

In another thread, "The Dark Night of the Soul", (and please mods, do not put this thread in the religious section because I used the word soul, thank you) as to what the words, the dark night actually meant and what it would involve to reach total peace, or the absolute lack of "FEAR". Now if you will notice, missing from Dickens' appraisal is the word "I". It's not there.

So it can be conclude it was not a position of what he thought, it was what he discovered was fact and wanted all to hear it. It was not an opinion of which he opined, it was indeed a fact, as if offering a challenge to anyone who might challenge it. In other words, it was "A Matter of Fact". Also note the word "astonishment" as he used it.

Now has anyone every made the statement, "Well,.........I'll be!?" as you are experiencing something for the very first time, that actually gives you "chill bumps" as if you are having an "epiphany" or "revelation", ha! See how close astonishment and fear are to each other but distant as Dickens' mentioned; a fine line such has been stated between two opposites "genius and insanity". Of course in the case of fear, we call them "goose bumps", as if, "you silly goose, what are you afraid of ?"; which is often followed by a quizzical look or response.

As Rich will confirm, I have communicated to him in PM's not to speak, from the "I" perspective, so much, for it offends people, but as he stated back as a matter of "his" fact, he was correct in what he was stating and found it very "comfortable" there for occasionally challenged by others who will also speak from their different "I" perspective and it will lead to an argument or conflict as two battle as to "who" is correct. Forgive me Rich, I hope you don't mind that I bring this up, for I am a friend of yours and I agree with what you are saying regarding health and the measures one should take to maintain that health, the only problem is from other's perspective, they can afford to do as you suggest. It costs to much to do as you say do, as I conclude, health is a natural state if outside inertia, costs, didn't have such an affect on that natural state. That in affect makes them afraid and defend who "they" are.

Now when we speak from the "I" perspective, as Dickens' didn't, we are inviting a challenge to convince others to "be like us" so we will not be AFRAID of them, and if they agree, we "will" be "free...er" and have a friend we will not be afraid of. Now are they a friend because they are "astonished" or because the are "afraid". Are the coming because the have "goose" bumps or because they have "chill" bumps.

So, considering what I have offered, I am inviting an argument:duke-it-out:,ha, to anyone who would like to challenge what "I" have said.

What do you think? What are you afraid of? Are you fearless?

*It: ...Stephen King's version of "It", and the comedy of the clown; and speaking of comedy, have you ever wondered why Dante's most famous work was call the "The Divine Comedy"?:perplexed:

William

Ha, I just noticed the date, are you a "big 10-4" on my transmission or "10-7". Ha!:a-ok:

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » What are you afraid of?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 11:49:19