Necessity of Terms for Communication

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Necessity of Terms for Communication

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

DoEds

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 06:50 am
Why terms are necessary for communication.?
I know that we used terms to explain things better.

And sometimes we used this to hide what we really meant to say...

sometime sun

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 05:25 pm
@DoEds,
We think more in story form than in the litterary sense (word for word), 'terms' paint a stroy for the mind to absorb or distort quickly, just as in memory we do not think in terms of conversation, unless in loves reminisces (remisses) and even then there is back drop in volved.
So I would say it is just like any easily accesible thought, it is short storries for the mind to take guage the picture not always just scripture. And all good God Scripture tells a story while doing so telling, reminding leaving as referential record.

richrf

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 05:29 pm
@DoEds,
DoEds;90111 wrote:
Why terms are necessary for communication.?
I know that we used terms to explain things better.

And sometimes we used this to hide what we really meant to say...

I agree. Terms can be a short-hand way of conveying an idea, but I also think terms have inherent ambiguity which allow for mutual consensus even when there isn't any. For example, the term Free Markets, or democracy. We can rally around these terms without really agreeing on what they are so that we can move forward with disagreement.

Rich

kennethamy

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 05:47 pm
@richrf,
richrf;93955 wrote:
I agree. Terms can be a short-hand way of conveying an idea, but I also think terms have inherent ambiguity which allow for mutual consensus even when there isn't any. For example, the term Free Markets, or democracy. We can rally around these terms without really agreeing on what they are so that we can move forward with disagreement.

Rich

I know what "free market" and "democracy" mean. And if you don't, you can look them up. Of course, they are not exact enough for extended and accurate discussion, but they are enough to get started. As the conversation goes on, they will become more precise, or they will be dropped in favor of more precise language. As Aristotle pointed out, an educated man does not expect more precision than the term can deliver.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Necessity of Terms for Communication
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 11:36:56