A comic

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 12:58 pm
This made me smile. Others might frown.
Doonesbury@Slate - Daily Dose

jeeprs

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 04:41 pm
@TickTockMan,
Very astute comment but kind of scary. But then it re-inforces a belief I have had for many years, that the overall aim of a liberal democracy is to make the world a safe place for the ignorant. So it figures that this is what you end up with.

richrf

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 04:53 pm
@jeeprs,
Doonesbury is always funny.

What I think the rationalist miss however, is how gullible they have become in believing evidence and what happens as a result. It is very easy to sway and manipulate a rationalist. All you have to do is act rational. That is what Bernie Madoff did.

There is no one way. Everyone, I figure, just has to figure it out the best way they can.

Rich

VideCorSpoon

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 09:43 pm
@richrf,
http://i31.tinypic.com/2a014cp.jpg

LOL! That's pretty sharp. That's reminds me of this comic (posted above), which I honestly think is a pot-shot at Leibniz and his account of rationalism. As far as Leibniz and the cartoon go, Leibniz believed that everything in the universe happened for a necessary and sufficient reason (essentially a logical reason), hence his own take on the

TickTockMan

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:40 am
@richrf,
richrf;89890 wrote:
It is very easy to sway and manipulate a rationalist. All you have to do is act rational. That is what Bernie Madoff did.
Rich

Really? Explain please.

richrf

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:45 am
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;90355 wrote:
Really? Explain please.

A person just has to act rationale and the rationalist go ga-ga. Take a look at Dawkins. Doesn't have a thing to say, but he says it in such a rational way, and makes tons of money doing it. Every group needs its evangelist and someone to worship.

As for Bernie Baby. Well, he very rationally laid out his plans to make 15% a year return. He sounded great and all of his investors fell for it - $60 billion worth. Now, as for me - my gut feel was that no one can do it. So, even though I was invited many times in my life into these get rich schemes, by very rationally sounding people, my gut feeling has always kept me out of trouble.

Conning a rational person is easy. All you need to do is set up a set of rational arguments. It probably happens all the time when private enterprise introduces themselves into the scientific community.

Rich

TickTockMan

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 12:06 pm
@richrf,
richrf;90357 wrote:
Doesn't have a thing to say, but he says it in such a rational way, and makes tons of money doing it. Every group needs its evangelist and someone to worship.

If you were in a position to do the same thing, would you? Let's hypothetically say we're talking really big money here to evangelize about something you believe passionately.

richrf;90357 wrote:
As for Bernie Baby. Well, he very rationally laid out his plans to make 15% a year return. He sounded great and all of his investors fell for it - $60 billion worth. Now, as for me - my gut feel was that no one can do it. So, even though I was invited many times in my life into these get rich schemes, by very rationally sounding people, my gut feeling has always kept me out of trouble.

Sounds like you didn't let greed overcome your common sense . . . like you asked yourself a very key question: "Does this sound too good to be true?" I won't make an assumption about your thought process, but I would guess that you ran something very much like a little "risk versus reward" program in your head (perhaps subconsciously) before reaching any conclusions. That seems pretty rational to me.

richrf;90357 wrote:
Conning a rational person is easy. All you need to do is set up a set of rational arguments. It probably happens all the time when private enterprise introduces themselves into the scientific community.
Rich

Is it more easy, and profitable, to con a rational person (say, one who believes in the weight of verifiable evidence) than a non-rational person (say, one who believes in angels and magic)?

richrf

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 02:15 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;90362 wrote:
If you were in a position to do the same thing, would you? Let's hypothetically say we're talking really big money here to evangelize about something you believe passionately.

I don't begrudge anyone for anything they do in their lives. It is all experimentation and a learning experience.

TickTockMan;90362 wrote:
Sounds like you didn't let greed overcome your common sense . . . like you asked yourself a very key question: "Does this sound too good to be true?" I won't make an assumption about your thought process, but I would guess that you ran something very much like a little "risk versus reward" program in your head (perhaps subconsciously) before reaching any conclusions. That seems pretty rational to me.

What is rational to me is not rational to others, including extremely large institutions who put large amounts of money into Madoff's fund. Their rationale was, "if other big institutions are doing it, it must be fine". Sound familiar. It is easy to be rational and use it when selling to rational people.

TickTockMan;90362 wrote:
Is it more easy, and profitable, to con a rational person (say, one who believes in the weight of verifiable evidence) than a non-rational person (say, one who believes in angels and magic)?

Not necessarily easier, but this rational people are easy to figure out, a good salesperson should be able to figure out a sales pitch pretty easily that works. It is more difficult to figure out a person who works on an emotional or gut level. You can come up with all of the rationales you can dream up and still get a big NO!

Gut feeling has saved me from lots of problems in my day. I do go through all information before I make a decision, but the final decision is based upon how I feel.

Rich

TickTockMan

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 02:46 pm
@richrf,
richrf;90394 wrote:
I don't begrudge anyone for anything they do in their lives. It is all experimentation and a learning experience.

Goshdarnit! You've ducked the question!

richrf;90394 wrote:
What is rational to me is not rational to others, including extremely large institutions who put large amounts of money into Madoff's fund. Their rationale was, "if other big institutions are doing it, it must be fine". Sound familiar. It is easy to be rational and use it when selling to rational people.

There is a subtle difference between the words rational and rationale. You are aware of this, yes? There is also such a thing as bad logic, or faulty reasoning. There are some otherwise rational people who believe in some very irrational things. One must also never discount the effect of greed.

richrf;90394 wrote:
Not necessarily easier, but this rational people are easy to figure out, a good salesperson should be able to figure out a sales pitch pretty easily that works. It is more difficult to figure out a person who works on an emotional or gut level. You can come up with all of the rationales you can dream up and still get a big NO!

I was a salesman for a lot of years. Pretty good at it too. I always found it easier to appeal to people's emotions to close the sale. Then I realized that was a scummy way to do things, so I quit.

richrf;90394 wrote:
Gut feeling has saved me from lots of problems in my day. I do go through all information before I make a decision, but the final decision is based upon how I feel.

There is some term that's used to describe the process of going through all the available information before making a decision, but now I can't seem to recall what it is . . .

Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 05:16 pm
@TickTockMan,
It isn't rational to act immorally - like Madoff.

I do enjoy Doonesbury.

TickTockMan

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 05:38 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;90440 wrote:
It isn't rational to act immorally - .

But one could rationalize it.

richrf

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 09:09 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;90440 wrote:
It isn't rational to act immorally - like Madoff.

I do enjoy Doonesbury.

Unfortunately, from Madoff's point of view it was entirely rational and he did it for a very long time. And he was not the only one, who found it very rational to take money from people, keep most of it for himself, and give back some in order to keep the ponzi scheme going. Wall Street had tens of thousands of people playing this game. All very rational people and most of them still have high paying jobs.

What was missing was empathy and heart. And so goes the rational world.

Rich

TickTockMan

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 10:45 pm
@richrf,
richrf;90483 wrote:

What was missing was empathy and heart. And so goes the rational world.
Rich

This seems a bit judgmental, don't you think?

richrf

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 10:53 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;90501 wrote:
This seems a bit judgmental, don't you think?

You gotta have heart
Miles and miles and miles of heart.

Maybe he'll develop some in his next life? If not, he'll be back on Wall Street.

Rich

TickTockMan

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:12 pm
@richrf,
richrf;90504 wrote:
You gotta have heart
Miles and miles and miles of heart.

Maybe he'll develop some in his next life? If not, he'll be back on Wall Street.

Rich

I'm not sure what you're saying here.
You cannot have heart and have anything to do with Wall Street?
Rationality and having heart and empathy are mutually exclusive?
Are you saying we should be less rational?
What do you mean when you say, "and so goes the rational world?"

I'm trying to make rational sense out of what you are saying. Should I not do that?

Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 07:08 am
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;90448 wrote:
But one could rationalize it.

So what? A person can rationalize to any conclusion, by any irrational means.

To say "Oh, but it seemed rational for him" does not in any way make what happened rational. By definition. To think with reason is not the same as to act according to good reason.

I can reason a way to successfully kill my mother - yet it is still irrational for me to justify such a thing (you know, morality and what not). Thus, it is irrational to kill her, despite my reasoning on how or why to do so.

richrf

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 07:18 am
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;90509 wrote:
I'm not sure what you're saying here.
You cannot have heart and have anything to do with Wall Street?

I don't think Wall Street wants anything to do with you.

TickTockMan;90509 wrote:
Rationality and having heart and empathy are mutually exclusive?

No. You gotta have both.

TickTockMan;90509 wrote:
Are you saying we should be less rational?

No. Just not rely on it exclusively.

TickTockMan;90509 wrote:
What do you mean when you say, "and so goes the rational world?"

The rational world can rationalize anything. You got to have empathy and heart.

TickTockMan;90509 wrote:
I'm trying to make rational sense out of what you are saying. Should I not do that?

You can try. But it is easier to feel empathy than explain it or rationalize it.

Rich

TickTockMan

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 12:03 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;90569 wrote:
So what? A person can rationalize to any conclusion, by any irrational means.

Yes, which was my point, actually.

Now I just have a few questions that I ponder now and then that your specific comments brought to mind. Perhaps you can help me puzzle through some of them:

To say "Oh, but it seemed rational for him" does not in any way make what happened rational. By definition.

Whose definition? Is there a universal and unchanging standard of what is rational? And if so, who decides what it is? What assurance would we have that they are thinking rationally?

I can reason a way to successfully kill my mother - yet it is still irrational for me to justify such a thing (you know, morality and what not). Thus, it is irrational to kill her, despite my reasoning on how or why to do so.

Does morality supersede rationality?

Are morality and rationality mutually exclusive?

Can you think of any situation where your scenario of matricide could be both moral and rational?

How can we know that we are being rational? Can it be irrational to think we are being rational?

I'm looking forward to your insights,
Tock

Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 04:46 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;90671 wrote:

Whose definition? Is there a universal and unchanging standard of what is rational? And if so, who decides what it is? What assurance would we have that they are thinking rationally?

There are fairly well established notions of rational thinking and discourse - the classic, most accepted example would be the law of non-contradiction.

TickTockMan;90671 wrote:
Does morality supersede rationality?

No, I do not think so. We use (ideally) rationality as a tool by which to arrive at, and better understand morality.

TickTockMan;90671 wrote:
Are morality and rationality mutually exclusive?

Of course not - they seem very much related.

TickTockMan;90671 wrote:
Can you think of any situation where your scenario of matricide could be both moral and rational?

No - it involves killing another human being.

TickTockMan;90671 wrote:
How can we know that we are being rational? Can it be irrational to think we are being rational?

I do not think we can know with any certainty; we can only strive to do a little better each time we realize we have not done as well as we should have.

Sure, it can be irrational to think that we are being rational. That's called being mistaken.

TickTockMan;90671 wrote:
I'm looking forward to your insights,
Tock

Man, I wish I had some insights for you. Surprised

TickTockMan

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 05:55 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;90727 wrote:
There are fairly well established notions of rational thinking and discourse - the classic, most accepted example would be the law of non-contradiction.

Having had very little schooling in philosophy (quite obviously, based on most of my posts), I'll be the first to admit that my understanding of many of its classical rules and laws is fairly superficial, but I'm wondering if the law of non-contradiction can be contradicted, and if it can, how reliable/valid is it as a notion of rational thinking and discourse?

No, I do not think so. We use (ideally) rationality as a tool by which to arrive at, and better understand morality.

I thought morality fell more on the subjective side of the fence, rather than the rational or logical side. After all, at one time it was considered immoral for a woman to show her bare ankles in public. These days we would consider that silly puritanical hokum. At least I would.

Morality, I guess, can be painted with a very broad brush. Perhaps there are standards of morality which have always been, and always will be, true and correct regardless of cultural biases? I'm not sure one could rationalize that viewpoint though.

Of course not - they seem very much related.

I'm still pondering this one. For some reason I keep thinking of some of the tests that inquisitors once used to prove whether or not someone was a witch.

No - it involves killing another human being.

What if it was self defense? Would you let yourself be killed rather than take a life? What if when your life was taken, your killer planned to continue on to take the lives of those who you love? Could your failure to do whatever it took to stop them because you don't want to kill another human being be considered in any way either moral or rational in this scenario?

Just curious, as long as we're playing "what if . . ."

Man, I wish I had some insights for you. Surprised

Thanks! You've already given me some insights. I'm sure I'll have some more questions later, if you don't mind playing along.

Regards,
TTM

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 10:29:50