What would you do? Fencing or Kendo?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » What would you do? Fencing or Kendo?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 06:36 pm
I am at a point where I have a good amount of time to devote to new studies between undergrad and grad school, and I decided to do something fun that I was not able to do during school. So why not play with swords? I did karate in the form of Renbuki a long time ago and it was honestly not that interesting, so sword play seems to be the logical item on the menu. However, I am not really sure which discipline to pick.

Fencing YouTube - Heimsath ( UNC ) v. Pryor ( OSU ), NCAA Epee Fencing

Kendo on the other hand is "The "way of the sword," Japan's oldest martial art, using wooden staves, with its roots in samurai training exercises." I have to say this looks pretty bad-ass. Who wouldn't want to play samurai, right? Though I think I would pick the kendo over the fencing any day of the week, there are a few issues. A lot of the exercises in kendo require a lot of knee bending and stuff like that. I don't really have knee problems, I just don't want to damage anything right now. Also, I would think that kendo would be a little less useful than fencing in terms of footwork and other things which you would be able to adapt to your everyday life. The closest school for kendo is about 30 minutes away, so it would be a pain to get there as well. But it seems so much more appetizing though, so it may very well be worth the time to do that rather than fencing. Here is a sample of Kendo;

YouTube - Kendo BasicsYouTube - Kendo vs Fencing

richrf

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 09:51 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
Hi,

I have studied Chinese Martial Arts as well as having some exposure to fencing.

Both have lots to offer, and the way I go about choosing classes of study, is always by how well I relate to the teacher and the school (other students). This is what I look for.

Rich

CMJL

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 02:25 am
@VideCorSpoon,
I would take the fencing because I think you would get the most out it for say 1-2 years. Kendo will take longer to get to a similar level of satisfaction. BUT ... If you are considering it for a long term committment (10 years) then Kendo would be better. You would get more satisfaction out of the middle and the end.

---------- Post added 08-02-2009 at 01:27 AM ----------

Yep, rich is right. I so totally agree with him. If you have great instructor/student in either - go with that one.

urangutan

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 05:40 am
@VideCorSpoon,
Gotta be the Kendo. Footwork is even more essential, as Kendo does not simply deal with the forward opponent. The possibility of several varied possitions of attack requires immediate and constant balance in switching manouveres and stances. Fencing deals primarily with a forward and backward motion. Limiting pivitol, rotational and side-stepping techniques. Of course Kendo is, like all Japanese art, a lifetime in creation. However, it is formost defense by hand that elevates to be armed. Remove the blade and still it is an art, where fencing reveals a puncy fingerpointing arguement. Mind my ineloquance, I get that way when I think of the French.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 04:19 pm
@urangutan,
The Kendo outfits are far more appealing. You'll look better doing Kendo.

urangutan

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 02:30 am
@VideCorSpoon,
I love the idea of beating someone with a stick. Don't get me wrong I am not into bondage or anything, though I don't mind beating someone who is tied up.

Lame as, what do ya reckon. Sometimes my mind bewilders even me.

Lily

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 09:44 am
@VideCorSpoon,
Fencing feels much more elegant, so the-three-musketeer-ish. But Kendo might be a bit more useful, you never know when you're going to bump into a angry ninja :shocked:

GoshisDead

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 02:28 pm
@Lily,
Just don't join the SCA, and if you do don't claim you know sword fighting because you have run around a park in PVC armor swinging a stick.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 04:03 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;81121 wrote:
Just don't join the SCA, and if you do don't claim you know sword fighting because you have run around a park in PVC armor swinging a stick.
http://i32.tinypic.com/nyg35z.jpghttp://i32.tinypic.com/jky2s3.jpg

http://i29.tinypic.com/2mm8nrc.jpg

urangutan

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 03:04 am
@VideCorSpoon,
I actually began a topic some time in the past, there was little notice to it, (I am over it now). The discussion I wished to trade on was the complete opposites of Cricket and baseball. Cricket, I will show is a mans test and abillity to manouver either the ball or the bat. Like Kendo, it is not a simple swing and hit. Cricket is the ultimate swordsman tribute. On the other hand if hacking into trees like a french beheader is your thing, then obviously baseball is the sport for you.

I believe the reason America plays baseball is because it did not wish to be British in any way. The reason you all run around with one glove has little to do with your inability to catch a ball, but is a tribute to punncy french ways and like smacking a gauntlet in the face of an opponent, you carry the glove evermore.

Kendo and Cricket, two pinnacles of art.
Fencing and baseball, two opposites of.

These smilies need one with a swinging hand that has just completed a wild slap in the face.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 08:16 am
@urangutan,

urangutan

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 08:46 am
@VideCorSpoon,
I am part french but that is not my reason. I am part Italian but that doesn't make me a "gini", I am part Welsh and even Scottish, or some northern English county. My child is all this plus the Philipine and Chinese, so I really don't hate anyone, I just choose to go with the french in this sort of manner, that is jest. They are not the only peoples one could say deserve scrutiny.

If you choose Kendo, watch some cricket, you may get the imagery I spoke of.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 12:38 pm
@urangutan,

Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 07:48 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon;81270 wrote:
Now, if they mixed rugby in with cricket, that would be one hell-uh-va sport.

We used to play that game as kids. I think it was called 'Kill the Man with the Ball'.

captpicard12

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 09:29 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Hi, i just started fencing at FAP a couple of months ago. Let me tell you, it's fantastic. Very intensive, you will work harder then ever before, but you learn quickly, the instructors are awesome (they're the kind of sarcastic jerks who you can't help but love) and there are plenty of other students who are there all the time. It's only once a week unless you do a makeup, and lessons are one hour so it's not a huge time commitment. Already I've noticed that in everyday life i'm sitting up straighter, moving faster, and a bit more agile. Fencing is awesome, would love to see you at FAP!

VideCorSpoon

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 01:21 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
That's great to hear! I've been emailing back and forth with someone by the name of Lara Masters about getting the private lessons three or four times a week. She says they are on the summer schedule and they will be able to do private lessons soon. I hope they are able to accommodate my fiance and I because it seems like the best option right now.

captpicard12

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 01:48 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
glad to hear it! I've met coach Lara a couple times, she's a great coach.

hammersklavier

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 09:31 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
Both, if I had the time. But since I've always wanted to have a katana, I'd pick kendo for preference. But that fencing school in the area also seems interesting...I'm gonna hafta check it out.

captpicard12

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 07:21 am
@hammersklavier,

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » What would you do? Fencing or Kendo?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 09:43:57